• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 specific woodgrain steering wheel. Let us dispel the myth and urban legend of the “recall wheel”

R413

Local time
6:20 AM
Reaction score
I know a person who bought a 67 GTX brand new, and he still owns it. It was optioned with the woodgrain steering wheel and he never received and correspondence from the Chrysler Corporation stating anything about the steering wheel. He did receive notice about the disc brake valve updates.

So we do what we did back i the days of common sense. I got hold of the Hamtramck Historical guy to see what he had for factory paperwork on this steering wheel. See the attached bulletin dated 8-23-66 which states they are out of production until further notice.
This is all he has on it, nothing about a recall, nothing from Dodge.

https://www.hamtramck-historical.co...ipLetters/1967/8-23-1966 flash bulletin 1.jpg

So can we stop using the bogus “recall wheel” label now?

F3482EBB-D1D3-407E-9B25-31A40C59FDE0.jpeg

933FEA85-4C41-470E-B5D0-4A8BE94CE07A.jpeg

BBA132BF-6DDF-45D1-AD10-2C7DA1E0275A.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting. Apparently Dodge would replace them if people wanted, after reading whatever Nader said about them. Fingers in them I would guess...?
Screenshot_20221104-141907_Chrome.jpg

That’s a fine story, and it says they didn’t find a recall on it. it says the dealers would change them if the customer wanted. Well that’s is not a recall.

Want some more?

I did some searching on the web. It turns out theat the NHTSA got serious about recalls starting in 1966. They can be searched today! There are 3 recalls for the 1967 Charger. None of them on the steering wheel.

1967 DODGE CHARGER | NHTSA

open it up and scroll down to see the 3 recalled items.

The disc brake valve was changed on this recall on my friends GTX. He clearly remembers this happening. He had to work so he had his wife take the car in and he told her “don’t let it out of your sight for even a moment”

Dude. No one is arguing with you. Good investigative work.
That's good information to know :thumbsup:

Oh good! LOL. I‘m just looking into this legend of the recall.

Auto Transport Service
Back