• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Charger R/T - Trouble Spots?

MoparR/T

Local time
1:38 AM
Reaction score
I've been a forum member for a while now, but not fortunate enough to be a Mopar owner just yet. I recently found out that an out-of-town cousin of one of my friends has a 1968 Charger R/T for sale. I don't have a lot of info. right now (440 V8, automatic, console, buckets and aftermarket A/C) nor do I have any pictures. Cousin sez it's black on black with red bumble bee stripes around the trunk. Until I get more details, I'd be interested in the most common "trouble spots" to look for on these cars.

It would also be a huge help to tell me when to look for all of the tags and code#'s on the car because I know they vary from year to year and by make and model.

TIA for any insights you can provide.
Bill

Last edited:
Rust anywhere?LOL. Rust around lower outside of rear window,quarters,etc.Frame rail condition; the list goes on&on, inner rear fenders,trunk, floor. After all it's over 40yrs old.

Also look for butchered up wiring under dash and in the engine bay and electrical things that don't work.

Make sure the numbers on the dash tag are correct. XS29U for 68 Charger RT. You do not want to be paying for someones over priced drone.

Red bumble bee stripe on a Charger?

You need to check everything very carefully between the front bumper and the rear bumper.

Seriously, there is way too much to cover in a few sentences. Best advice, take someone along with you to look at it who KNOWS these cars.

That puppy aint gonna be cheap so get someone that knows these cars to go along and give you the low down on it. This could save you thousands of dollars!!
Google mopar fender tag decoder and study up on the 1968 model year at least. Write stuff down. Show us a pic of the fender tag. Anything. A real R/T is gonna be worth quite a bit more than a base model charger so go informed.

Make sure the numbers on the dash tag are correct. XS29U for 68 Charger RT. You do not want to be paying for someones over priced drone.

Xs29L not U....

That is correct.

12243-I-8217-m-a-expert.jpg

Red bumble bee stripe on a Charger?

looks killer on a black Charger...
Charger.jpg

rust....around the back window, trunk floor,rear
frames (all frames for that, and the trans crossmember) floors,rear valance and corners. pray that the grill is in good condition and intact, these are very pricey.

looks killer on a black Charger...
View attachment 442304
rust....around the back window, trunk floor,rear
frames (all frames for that, and the trans crossmember) floors,rear valance and corners. pray that the grill is in good condition and intact, these are very pricey.
The stripe looks awesome! Is that what it is called? Bumble bee stripe??
I was imagining the stripe on a Super Bee with the Super Bee logo.

yeah, the Charger R/T,Coronet R/T and Dart GTS got them, along with the Super Bee.

But we're they all called a super bee stripe?

I had a 68 Coronet R/T that was stripe delete...... according to the fender tag

I'll have to go dig thru my dealer brochures, but I have one that says "The Dodge Scat Pack...The Cars With The Bumble Bee Stripes"

Basket Case, the picture you posted is supposedly what this car looks like. Thanks for clarifying things for some of the other members. And I believe you're right on the Scat Pack / Bumble Bee thing. It was how they marketed it.

Eldub440, the "stripe delete" was a no-charge option.

To everyone, thanks for all of the help. I'm dying to get pix on this damned car, but he's visiting family this week out-of-state. (Yes, my out-of-state seller is out-of-state himself! LOL)

Stay tuned...
Bill

Don't buy sight unseen. Pay someone to look at it for you if necessary. Is it West Coast?

Seller sent pics to their cousin who was at my 4th. of July BBQ today. (See attached.) Good news is that the car looks in great shape, the bad news is I can't make out the VIN code on the photo of the tag. I also don't have a price yet. I will contact him tomorrow.

Stay tuned.
Bill

Attachments

• Charger.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 187
Auto Transport Service
Back