• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Dodge Charger Resto Mod Cold Air Intake / Sealed Box Ideas?

Aron

Local time
6:44 AM
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm building a '68 Charger with a 6.1 liter built Gen 3 Hemi. I would like to build a cold air intake box on the driver's side of the engine bay where (approximately) the battery would go (I'm relocating my battery to the trunk).

Has anyone done this? Any parts / examples to share? I'd like the piping to lead to a sealed box (the inspection port will make a nice air entry spot), and, in theory, there would be a place for the air temp sensor in the piping that is supposed to install into the air intake per the Terminator X ECU I'm using.

In a perfect world it looks like the Corsa unit pictured.

I'm getting ready to send the car to paint and body (FINALLY!!!) and I'd like to design and build the box before I send it off -- alternatively, I'd love to have a design for the body/paint shop to implement if it's above my welding skill level (and...um...my welding is a hard 1 on a scale of 1 to 10....maybe a 2 in the morning, it degrades from there).

Any and all parts suggestions, designs, photos to use as go-bys are much appreciated.

Thanks all! And thanks to all of you who have helped me with everything along the way - this forum is amazing time and time again.

-Aron

PXL_20240303_174654063.jpg

PXL_20240303_174714117.jpg

PXL_20240303_174915269.jpg

PXL_20240303_174924578.jpg

Picture1.png

Last edited:
By "inspection port" are you referring to the alignment cam access on the inner fender? I do not know what type of suspension you are using but, if OEM adjustment cams are being used, access to the cams is necessary. Is a filter being placed inside the air box? I would think a generic style box could be adapted for your purpose. Cruise the web and something will turn up.
Mike

By "inspection port" are you referring to the alignment cam access on the inner fender? I do not know what type of suspension you are using but, if OEM adjustment cams are being used, access to the cams is necessary. Is a filter being placed inside the air box? I would think a generic style box could be adapted for your purpose. Cruise the web and something will turn up.
Mike
You are absolutely correct looking at the OP's post pic's....gotta have access to these adjustment cams. As far as an aftermarket air box I'm sure there's nothing that will do this justice, probably need to get with a fabricator and custom make the air/filter box, plumbing. Great job retro fitting the Hemi in your Charger btw :thumbsup: Good luck with your project. Looks like your adding AC with the bulkhead connectors on the right-side inner fender well... gonna be busy in that area.

You are absolutely correct looking at the OP's post pic's....gotta have access to these adjustment cams. As far as an aftermarket air box I'm sure there's nothing that will do this justice, probably need to get with a fabricator and custom make the air/filter box, plumbing. Great job retro fitting the Hemi in your Charger btw :thumbsup: Good luck with your project. Looks like your adding AC with the bulkhead connectors on the right-side inner fender well... gonna be busy in that area.
Good tips re the adjustment cams needing an access port - that would have gotten right by me. Noted and now - thankfully - accounted for. Thank you both for that input.

I searched and searched for a clean way to run the heather hoses and AC lines into the engine bay, kept running into one road block after the next. My hope is that this will be one of the only areas where hoses and lines are "sticking out" / apparent. We'll see. I'm pot committed at this point...fingers crossed it works out.

Good tips re the adjustment cams needing an access port - that would have gotten right by me. Noted and now - thankfully - accounted for. Thank you both for that input.

I searched and searched for a clean way to run the heather hoses and AC lines into the engine bay, kept running into one road block after the next. My hope is that this will be one of the only areas where hoses and lines are "sticking out" / apparent. We'll see. I'm pot committed at this point...fingers crossed it works out.
I'm quite pleased with how mine turned out.
Mike
IMG_2801.JPG
IMG_2747.JPG
IMG_2748.JPG

IMG_2747.JPG

@493Mike: WOW! That looks amazing - really great looking engine bay and build. I'm glad I'm on a similar page as you - thank you for all of the photos, lets me know I'm not too far off track!

I would draw air from the core support/behind the grill. Drawing air from the fenderwell will contain tons of filter plugging dust.
Travis..

It's easier with a carb style intake manifold. I think building an air box at the front would be easier on this one.

View attachment 1640815
True on that. Maybe investigate about bringing the air in through the core support baffle or behind the headlight. I was looking at that routing on my 65 before I decided to do the cowl. You could put a screen at the outside air intake opening to keep some of the chunkies out of the box.

Maybe have a look around your local wrecking yard and find something factory that will fit that spot. Also, I have SPC upper arms that Bergman sells on my Coronet, and they don't use the cams for adjustment. Not a cheap fix, but improves the geometry and eliminates the air box issues.

Auto Transport Service
Back