• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Charger R/T resurrection

So I think it's about time for you to find a car and do another resto!
Come on I know you want to

Yeah Don, you know how things happen in my world - I kind of got one but not by choice. My beloved 1953 Golden Jubilee's clutch started acting odd last fall, so I figured that would be a nice easy winter project. Pulled it apart and found it coated in oil and junk. Seems the tranny seals let fluid leak forward. Pulled the tranny apart and discovered that the tractor must have been left dormant outside for quite awhile in a previous life as the top halves of the bearings and races had some pitting. So, I get all that ordered and figure I might as well install new gauges and all the wiring as well while it is down. Now that is all fine and dandy, and I started cleaning everything up. There had always been a slight oil leak coming from the rear IMG_20160129_180332881.jpg end. So while cleaning that up, I decided to find out where it was coming from. Found a nasty cobbled up repair. The bottom of the center section had cracked, so some crack head decided to fab a piece of steel to cover the crack, drilled in a couple of brass screws, JB welded over that, and painted it all Ford red. Well there was no way that was going to work in my world, so I found what I think is the last center section within 100 miles of me and just picked it up today. Off to the races again :headbang:.

IMG_20160129_180406435.jpgIMG_20160129_180344812_HDR.jpg

Funny how tractors get the worst cobble jobs! I overhauled a D14 Allis Chalmers that had no less than 4 different types of valves, springs and retainers on the head!

Your not kidding, when I bought my Ferguson and pulled it apart it had dropped a valve which broke a valve, valve guide, rod, piston, sleeve, and a piece of the block but one thing is for sure... once fixed they'll run the rest of your life. Nice tractor Hunt

You must be thankful mopar didnt make a tractor or did they it could of brought back some haunting memories lol

I just went through your thread start to finish and wow is all I can say! Awesome work and a beautiful car! It's nice to see there is an end somewhere to the torture.

beautiful job, hunt.i believe that it is in the priceless catergory.have you had any vaccum problems with your cam with brakes and steering? i like that cam and muffler combo.keep on charging!

have you had any vaccum problems with your cam with brakes and steering? i like that cam and muffler combo.keep on charging!

No vacuum problems at all. I get 11.5" at idle and the only things running off it are the headlight doors. I went from the original power drum brakes to manual front disc/rear drum. I have also replaced the Super Turbo mufflers with a pair of Ultraflows and like the sound much better.

Just finished going through the whole thread as I haven't kept up with it. Elk, I think I can honestly say that your car and Props car are the two best projects on the board and are both absolutely stunning and I am envious of you both.
A huge congrats on completing the project and a deep bow for the quality and detail of the build.

You must be thankful mopar didnt make a tractor or did they it could of brought back some haunting memories lol

But they DID make a tractor !!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_9967.jpgIMG_9968.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I saw this at the Mecum Auction in Kissimmee............... I had to snap a few pics of it.

- - - Updated - - -

From time to time I revisit this thread for inspiration too..................................

may i ask what cam did you use profile number. thanks

That 'Plymouth' tractor had nothing to do with Chrysler, in fact they didn't like the company putting that name on it and tried to sue. Turns out, the company that made the tractor - Fate-Roots-Heath - actually had the rights to the name. Back in 1909, Fate built a couple hundred trucks and a car with the Plymouth name, way before there was a Chrysler Corp. Chrysler ended up buying the rights to the name after the unsuccessful lawsuit for $1. After Chrysler had the rights, the company renamed the tractors 'Silver King'.

Didn't know that. I did know Silver King was one of the faster tractors, and one of the first with a cab.

H2E why did you switch to ultra flows? Picking mufflers is almost as bad as picking paint !

may i ask what cam did you use profile number. thanks

Comp 274S.

- - - Updated - - -

H2E why did you switch to ultra flows? Picking mufflers is almost as bad as picking paint !

When I put the Charger together TTi only listed their systems with the Super Turbos, so that is what I went with. I had a 451 built for my Road Runner a year later and at that time put a full TTi exhaust system on it. I found out then that they had a lot of requests for the Ultra Flows and decided to add them as an option. I liked the deeper sound better, so switched out the more mellow Super Turbos.

Auto Transport Service
Back