• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Road Runner....another one!

looking very good !:headbang:

It's been a while since I've posted. Pigment is flying now. I know it's not much to look at, but at least it's progress. Bolted the 8 3/4 back up and she should be on 4 wheels soon. Still have to jamb it in, shoot the interior, engine bay, trunk, inside the doors, fenders, under the hood and deck lid before we bolt everything on and shoot the exterior. Hoping to have it back home by April 1st. But, wanted to give you something to look at and let you know that I haven't forgot about the project.

Attachments

• IMG_1441.jpg
    IMG_1441.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_1442.jpg
    IMG_1442.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 526
Got the 383 back a couple years ago...been sitting in storage for a while. Got it home and didn't like the color. Got it cleaned up and repainted with Totally auto engine product. Came out better than I thought it would. Brackets all cleaned, bolt on stuff (water pump, dist, alt etc) ready to go on soon. Manifolds are getting ceramic coated as I type. I hope to have it ready to go by the time the car comes home from the shop.

On a side note. Found an identical car to mine only 2 miles away. The owner (30 year, 2nd owner) has been invaulable as far as providing help/instuction/knowledge. It's been nice to have him around and interested in my project. I don't think he's a computer guy though....or else I'd suggest this board for him.

Attachments

• IMG_1516.jpg
    IMG_1516.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 491
Love seeing color going on especially when it's Orange! She's looking pretty sweet.

Does anyone re-make the 7 bladed radiator fans? I know Tony's parts is making the 070 clutch, but I can't find a reproduction fan anywhere. Any leads?

Been a little slow on the updates. Bolting everything back up and shooting exterior today.

- - - Updated - - -

wow, pictures look like crap. They looked so much better on my phone. I'll try to get them cleaned up.

Attachments

• IMG_1531.jpg
    IMG_1531.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_1573.jpg
    IMG_1573.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_1574.jpg
    IMG_1574.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_1575.jpg
    IMG_1575.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_1576.jpg
    IMG_1576.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_1577.jpg
    IMG_1577.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_1578.jpg
    IMG_1578.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 399
She's got paint! Have to let it cure for a couple of days before the V21 stripes go on the car.

Attachments

• IMG_1581.jpg
    IMG_1581.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_1580.jpg
    IMG_1580.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_1582.jpg
    IMG_1582.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_1583.jpg
    IMG_1583.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_1584.jpg
    IMG_1584.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_1585.jpg
    IMG_1585.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_1587.jpg
    IMG_1587.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_1586.jpg
    IMG_1586.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 350
Well, it's home...

Paint for the most part is pretty decent....and that's the good news. Exterior body panels have very few flaws in them and the car is very appeasing to look at. Since these pictures, I've put on the quarter extensions, hood inserts, hood latch support and the front valance. She also got her first bath.

I do have some issues though that I'll try to address here and hopefully get some help.

Problem #1
Last week, I went out to the shop to get pictures of the car. The previous pictures (above) are from the body shop. So, this was the first time I actually saw the car. One major problem, the trunk wasn't painted. When he was standing in my garage over a year ago going over the quote, I stated multiple times what needed to be done. I guess he didn't listen and it was never put in writing. Lesson learned. I was pissed, he was pissed....wasn't a good situation. Toward the end of last week, we were finally talking again. I told him, "Look, I know it's not what you want to hear, but it needs done. Let's just figure out a way to get the trunk painted and home." I even told him that I don't care if single stage was used in the trunk.

So, the car came home on tuesday. And it's not what I was expecting. He was apparently more pissed off than I gave him credit for. He painted the trunk...but it's an absolute mess. No sanding at all....didn't even bother to vaccum the trunk out. Painted over all kinds of garbage. Bolt heads, dirt, paper, trash...whatever was in the trunk was painted over. Not only that....but he didn't mask the tail filler panel....and now it too has trash, dirt and dust in it. So, the old saying "If you want it done right, you'll have to do it yourself" comes into play. I've never painted a body panel in my life and I guarantee I can do a better job then this guy did in the trunk. So, I'll have to get that all sanded down, wrap the whole car and get it re-shot myself next week. (No pictures....made me sick to my stomach to even look at it.)

Problem #2

This may or may not be a big deal...simply because I don't know the answer. I'm going to lean on you guys for this.

Hood to fender gaps: Opposite ends of the spectrum. The driver side gap could barley slide a piece of paper thru. Passenger side gap I can stick my finger in. Now, this isn't as simple as moving the hood to the point where they're even. The stripes are already in. I can't move the hood or it will screw up the lines between the hood and cowl. The right fender will have to come in and the left fender will need pushed out. Not sure how to do that or if it's even possible? In the pictures posted above, the hood gaps look equal. I'm not sure what happened between then and now. Is this something that can be fixed without repainting the hood stripes?

Thanks again for all your help.

Attachments

• IMG_1646.jpg
    IMG_1646.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_1645.jpg
    IMG_1645.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 338
looking great!
I've painted under the hood and in the trunk a few times, you can handle it, and it sounds like you'll do a better job than the pro.

Man Capt your painter sounds like one hell of a ***. I'm really sorry to hear it and hope the guys here can help you out with advice

What I can see looks nice but I do see that gap on the pass fender. Good luck !

Spent the last 3 days prepping the trunk. Got the car masked off yesterday and shot it this morning. Wasn't my first time using a spray gun....so I wasn't a complete noob. But I did learn a few things. This color needs lots of base coats...like 7! Ended up shooting 5 coats of clear. It has it's flaws and is by no means perfect....but not bad for my first time....and it's 100 times better than the product the "Pro" gave me.

Attachments

• IMG_1664.jpg
    IMG_1664.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 317
Auto Transport Service
Back