• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Road Runner facelift

Ahh, I'm assuming I need to find one of those square 5/16 fender nuts and weld the sumbich in there huh?

It would be pretty hard to duplicate the way it was originally, so that's what I did.

Pretty sure a cage nut went in there Dave. I imagine welding in box nut would work just fine. Might want to check your local hardware store. I know they have both around here at our Ace Hardware.

Brisk? Man O' man............Usually we're peering at one of your 17 different kinds of beers. lol

Places where the originals "cage nuts" twisted loose on dissasembly I kept them and bagged/labeled them and I have since welded them in where they twisted loose.

I'm fresh out of them though so I must have never had one here during my ownership.

Hardware store here I come.

Yeah, lots of brisk and water and mt dew etc.

I'm trying something new... Haven't had a drink in... hmmm... 5 weeks I guess.

I'm not a quitter, so I wouldn't say I quit. I'm just telling people I "stopped" when they ask me about it lol!

:grin:

I dropped my fuel tank again last weekend while I was painting under the car. I can't bring myself to put that beat up old tank back up in there. Gonna get a new one. Does anybody have any tips or advice for a new tank? Good ones, bad ones, what ever?

I dropped my fuel tank again last weekend while I was painting under the car. I can't bring myself to put that beat up old tank back up in there. Gonna get a new one. Does anybody have any tips or advice for a new tank? Good ones, bad ones, what ever?

Bought mine from Vans Auto from Waupan WI.Use your old sender if it works as the new ones suck and arent accurate.Shipping should be cheap as it can go speedee up to you.

http://www.vansauto.com/

I had fuel gauge issues when I was driving the car before tear down. Not sure if it was my sending unit or something with instrument panel? Seems to me like I could do something with the light switch that somehow effected the fuel gauge... I don't quite remember though.

I've heard the Specta Premium made in Canada is supposed to be the best. I found mine the cheapest on ebay from mqproducts for $174.95 with free shipping. I had it within 3 days of ordering.

Here's my tank, looks like I need one with these vents?

Resampled_2013-04-09_16-54-59_961_zpsdae1d5fb.jpg

Here's my tank, looks like I need one with these vents?

You bet Dave...The one vent that's still attached is still complete. The other goes up through your trunk pan, up to the top of the rear axle hump, turns to the right and then drops back through the trunk pan into the right frame rail. I bought my pre-bent vent lines for the Dodge and Plymouth from Right Stuff Detailing. They were $25 bucks. Tank/sending unit I got from Jeff at 521 Restorations.

http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/rfv6801

Yeah I have the lines and they are good shape, the question I have is about the tank. The new ones I've seen for my car don't have the vents.

I'll check 521, how did I forget about Jeff? jeesh...

- - - Updated - - -

I followed your link and there it was, the tank with the 2 vents on the front (maybe they all have em but just use a stock photo of a different tank or something?)

Dave, glad you asked this question as i'll have to get one for my bird too.

I found this photo today on accident. I have been searching the web for 2 years now trying to find a picture of a T7 69 RR with a white top. Well I found one this morning while just googling "69 roadrunner"

1968_plymouth_road_runner-pic-444914183130825114_zps3f3e8553.jpg

Tank Sending Unit & Possible Voltage Limiter Issue

I got all my 3/8" sending unit, straps J-bolts & new 19gal fuel tank from, Mancini Racing... the gauge problem could be the dark blue wire going to the sending unit, from the fuel gauge or even a ground from the sending unit to the body {they're usually on the steel fuel line, with a click on strap/ground grounding the sending unit to the fuel line, thru the body}, you can add a ground wire too {especially if your not using a steel fuel line any longer}, even the cluster ground {or lack of good ground} or even the Voltage Limiter {it drops the voltage from 12vt to 5vt, see below} on the back of the gauge cluster, they are known to cause issues, with the printed circuits/type gauge clusters.... the one shown below is for a 68 but I think they are the same as the 69's.... I got mine from www.MegaPartsUSA.com , if I remember correctly, I think there are digital voltage limiters available now too, I don't remember where I saw them thou....

Attachments

• Chrysler Dash Voltage limiter regulator 68 #1.jpg
    Chrysler Dash Voltage limiter regulator 68 #1.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 246
I found this photo today on accident. I have been searching the web for 2 years now trying to find a picture of a T7 69 RR with a white top. Well I found one this morning while just googling "69 roadrunner"

I found that pic when I had my last car. It was T7, and that's what I was going to repaint it.didn't work out though.

Sharp looking car Dave. Nothing wrong with that color combo.

I got all my 3/8" sending unit, straps J-bolts & new 19gal fuel tank from, Mancini Racing... the gauge problem could be the dark blue wire going to the sending unit, from the fuel gauge or even a ground from the sending unit to the body {they're usually on the steel fuel line, with a click on strap/ground grounding the sending unit to the fuel line, thru the body}, you can add a ground wire too {especially if your not using a steel fuel line any longer}, even the cluster ground {or lack of good ground} or even the Voltage Limiter {it drops the voltage from 12vt to 5vt, see below} on the back of the gauge cluster, they are known to cause issues, with the printed circuits/type gauge clusters.... the one shown below is for a 68 but I think they are the same as the 69's.... I got mine from www.MegaPartsUSA.com , if I remember correctly, I think there are digital voltage limiters available now too, I don't remember where I saw them thou....

I had researched all of that stuff and I had been messing around with grounds on the tank and up at ins panel, also tried new limiter like you show here. At the time I had collected individual elect parts to make a new style limiter following a tech article I had found. But since then I believe someone has started offering a digital direct replacement like you mentioned. I also need a device for my factory tach to read correctly since I have elect ign.

I have a 68 RR RM23 I have CEI electronic ignition, with a Chrome box/ECU & my little stock square in dash tach on the far right side, works just fine... soon to be a custom gauge panel

Attachments

• 68 RR Gauge Cluster #1 Jul20104.JPG
    68 RR Gauge Cluster #1 Jul20104.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 242
  • 68 RR #1 Sep 12 2011.JPG
    68 RR #1 Sep 12 2011.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 254
Auto Transport Service
Back