• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Hemi "Tight Fit" clearence issues.

super-bee_ski

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:22 AM
Reaction score
70 Superbee with the Stage V heads and covers. The right side head and cover make contact with the heater blower motor. Is there a smaller heater motor available? I'm running AC on the car (Bouchillon Performance kit) and I have Mike Schumacher's "Creative Services" engine mounts so the engine will be stationary.

Attachments

• P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 621
  • P1010024.jpg
    P1010024.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 613
That is what I call a shoe horn fit! Zero allowances for any kind of flex.

Yes it is tight but how beautiful it looks between the frame rails. Yes, yes, yes, engine **** for sure.

Are these the Stage V 440 conversion heads?
If so, what did it cost to build?

Same situation in a 67 charger, i used a blower motor for a Gehl road grader. was same dimensions except for diameter. a little tricky to install though.check with local parts supplier with illustrated catalog. can get dimensions and match it.

Anyone Remember How Close The Clearance On The 1968-69 Darts With A Hemi Was On The Master Cylinder Side of The Engine Compartment With The Valve Covers?

Wow - that is tight. Are you using solid mounts or Poly Locs? I use the Polys and believe that they still allow the motor to move slightly under acceleration.

My first thought was... "honestly, who needs a heater?" Take it out and put a blanking panel in. But not my call obviously. :)

My first thought was... "honestly, who needs a heater?" Take it out and put a blanking panel in. But not my call obviously. :)

The fan motor will blow cool air too, doesn't need to be a 'heater'. :)

Are those valve covers higher than stockers?

-=Photon440=-

The fan motor will blow cool air too, doesn't need to be a 'heater'. :)

Are those valve covers higher than stockers?

-=Photon440=-

Yes, I'm finding out that the Stage V heads are taller and wider than stock "Mothership MOPAR" heads and covers. That is why there is a tighter fit.

I thought about removing the blower motor BUT as you can see, the "Bee" is an AC car and I purchased the AC kit from BPE. The compressor is mounted. I'm here at Edwards AFB, Mojave Desert. Typical daily temps are in the low 100s. But: "it's a dry heat" Ha Ha...so is HELL!

I hope you don't have solid lifters. What are the possibilities of getting that blower motor out of there completely and move it to the inside by using a different heater box? Or have a way to easily slide the heater box out of the way should you need to get the valve cover off. That is just way too tight no matter how solid the mounts are. The clearance to the shock tower isn't that great either and I'd modify the valve cover with a scallop to clear that area. I will say that HEMI is looking mighty sharp sitting in there :VB toast:

Note: If you do any welding on the valve cover you may want to bolt it down tight to a head, or some rigid fixture, to keep it from moving while you weld. I can just see it pulling in the weld area and ending up with a potato chip.

Meep-Meep,
I'm looking into that OR perhaps place a small dent in the Blower Motor. With Michael Schumachers' Engine Mounts, the Hemi should not move and thank GOD, they are Hydraulic lifters!

I had the same issue. Thats why no AC on the hemis. We removed the Blower unit and actually did some surgery, moving the blower and squirrel cage inward about 1/4 or 3/8 inches. The real trick was removing and retacking the three mounting brackets on the motor. I will try to post a pic next week. We also removed the valve cover and carefully did a little grinding on that corner, then repainted. Looks great and works.

Robert

Here is a crate 472 hemi with a stock k member/ mounts and TTI headers in my 70 Satty. You can remove the valve covers and you have about 1/4" clearance on the steering box and maybe 1/2" or better on the pass side.

p682179609-4.jpg

p678891577-4.jpg

Oh, and the headers are 2" TTI

Looks like Ski will need to remove the front passenger shock to get the valve cover off. I have the same issue with my 65 Belvedere. I had to offset the master cylinder so I can get the driver valve cover off.

Auto Transport Service
Back