• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just found this Hemi swap forum - My Hemi Swap 68

TTSaleen

Local time
10:56 AM
Reaction score
Originally posted in a different section, but I have recently converted my 1968 Charger (318/904 combo) to a Gen III 5.7 Hemi with NAG1 transmission swap.

Donor car -
2006 Dodge Charger Daytona (Go-Man-Go color) :D

• 5.7 HEMI
  • NAG1 5 speed automatic transmission
  • Main ECM computer
  • TCM transmission computer
  • ABS module
  • Front control module
  • Drive by wire gas pedal
  • NAG1 shifter
  • Radiator
  • Radiator Fans
  • Power steering reservoir

Harness used -

Fuel system -

• Upgraded to PTFE lines (8AN feed and 6AN return)
Engine -
Transmission -
Headers -
  • TTI - 1-3/4" with starter on passenger side -https://ttiexhaust.com/TTi5761RS.htm
Mufflers -

Oil filter relocation kit -

Driveshaft -
That is most of the list I used for the swap.
Also did a battery relocation kit and added inline circuit breakers.

NOTE - You can use a passenger car engine with front cover and low mount AC compressor using the TTI mounts. Just be aware you have to cut the back off the AC compressor. It is hollow and does not affect the unit in anyway, but the TTI mounts use a bolt hole that is right under the back of that AC compressor. I show a picture of what I had to cut off to make this fit.
You also need to trim some of the crossmember directly under the compressor by the engine mount for clearance to install unit and put bolts thru.

NOTE 2 - I have the Borgeson steering box upgrade and use the 2006 Charger power steering pump and reservoir. The TTI headers and motor mounts clear this perfectly.

Ryan

IMG_1768.jpg IMG_1757.jpg IMG_1754.jpg IMG_1761.jpg IMG_1802.jpg HEMI install.jpg IMG_1994.jpg IMG_9312.jpg IMG_9313.jpg IMG_9317.jpg

Last edited:
I swapped in a 6.1 and 545RFE in my 68 Charger back in 2014. Back then, the NAG 1 (which I had and wanted to use) was not yet a user friendly swap. I see there are lots of parts available these days to make it happen but I have a few questions for you.
1. Did you have to do any frame alteration to make the starter work on the right side?
2. How much hump work was needed other than the rear mount area?
3. Got any pictures of that?
4. Much trouble making the NAG1 play nice with the system?
5 Picture of the shifter install?

I swapped in a 6.1 and 545RFE in my 68 Charger back in 2014. Back then, the NAG 1 (which I had and wanted to use) was not yet a user friendly swap. I see there are lots of parts available these days to make it happen but I have a few questions for you.

1. Did you have to do any frame alteration to make the starter work on the right side?
- No problem using the passenger side starter. I used the 2006 Charger starter that came on the engine and it is a smaller/mini type already. Cleared torsion bars and TTI headers fine.
2. How much hump work was needed other than the rear mount area?
- I spent quite a bit of time clearancing this area for the Hooker blackheart crossmember and hoop brace kit. They say to modify the floor, but I had to cut mine and pull metal away to make it fit.
3. Got any pictures of that?
- Yes
4. Much trouble making the NAG1 play nice with the system?
- Hotwire Auto makes a nice harness that uses a tone ring and 2 ABS sensors. So far this has been my only trouble making work properly. The tunnel area is too small for his tone ring to fit (by over 1 inch), so I cut it down that much and made it fit. Unfortunately this might be some of my issue making it shift consistently and not go into limp mode. According to Chris @ Hotwire auto, both sensors have to receive a good/consistent reading or the NAG1 will go into limp mode.
5 Picture of the shifter install?
- Funny you ask. Currently working on that to make it look/fit like stock and use the top plate from my original console. Had to cut out center plastic where console originally mounted to floor. Had to cut away factory brackets that held shifter to floor. Currently I need to obtain a flat metal plate 4.5" by 9.5" to bolt to the floor so the shifter will bolt to it. Then I have to cut out the top cover a hole large enough for this shifter to poke thru.

IMG_9439.jpg IMG_9440.jpg

So.....The tone ring and sensors are Hotwire additions? They do look pretty tight in there. You didn't have to enlarge the hump? I had to butcher my hump quite a bit to fit the truck transmission. I know the Nag is smaller. I will be interested to see what your console looks like when you finish it.

So.....The tone ring and sensors are Hotwire additions? They do look pretty tight in there. You didn't have to enlarge the hump? I had to butcher my hump quite a bit to fit the truck transmission. I know the Nag is smaller. I will be interested to see what your console looks like when you finish it.

Last picture is a test-fit. Still working/massaging it to fit better.
I used two scrap pieces of metal I had laying around.
The one under the shifter I screwed down direct to the tranmission tunnel hump.
The rear one is bolted down using the factory attachment points and hardware, but it is extended further back with the metal so I can screw the console down to it using self-tapping screws.
I had to trim a few things off the shifter where the shift indicator plastic curls forward.
That chrome trim surround of the shifter came right out of the 2006 Daytona donor car.

Ryan

IMG_9450.jpg IMG_9445.jpg IMG_9449.jpg IMG_9446.jpg

Wow! It looks better in there than I thought it would. The other thing that I couldn't deal with was that ugly fly by wire accelerator. It was way too long for my car with the factory AC heater box going all the way over to the steering column. I used the factory gas pedal and mounted a Bell crank throttle assembly from a 2003 truck under the hood to run the throttle body. You are making good headway.

Wow! It looks better in there than I thought it would. The other thing that I couldn't deal with was that ugly fly by wire accelerator. It was way too long for my car with the factory AC heater box going all the way over to the steering column. I used the factory gas pedal and mounted a Bell crank throttle assembly from a 2003 truck under the hood to run the throttle body. You are making good headway.

Yeah I wanted to give it a stock look and tried to use as many stock elements from both cars that I could.
Funny you mention about the throttle pedal. I have the Drive By Wire pedal out of the 2006 in my 68 also.
But I had to chop/cut it and remove it from the factory mount to be able to get it bolted into the car.
I plan to get a pedal cover to go over it and I think it will blend fine. Just looking for the right cover to match the brake pedal.

Did you look at sound German's trans controller?
https://www.soundgermanautomotive.com/
Yes and I have talked to Russell Drake. Apparently Chris at Hotwire auto and Russell work together on things at times. So there may be a solution coming soon for my issue with it going into limp mode. Will have parts here in a few days to test on the car and hopefully resolve this.
Thanks for the info by the way.
Ryan

It’s getting to the point that these restomods done right are worth as much or more than the OEM resto muscle cars.

I haven't bought anything from Russell yet but have talked to him, he sure knows his stuff

Does the hotwire setup not use the 3rd party controller Russell uses then? They put their own sensor solution together?

Be sure to stay tuned for my new video coming tomorrow!
Got some cool stuff to show you!
Ryan

Picture 2.png

Love it! The shifter and console look great. Much better than I would have thought. Hopefully you have the limp mode scenario dealt with. What rear gear are you running? 3.23 open?

Love it! The shifter and console look great. Much better than I would have thought. Hopefully you have the limp mode scenario dealt with. What rear gear are you running? 3.23 open?
It's the factory 2.76 gear and open diff. Plan to put in a True-trac diff soon and upgrade the gear set to something in the 3.3x to 3.7x range. Not sure yet. But it definitely could use some more gear!

Hello!
First and Foremost, THANK YOU for taking the time to post this awesome resource!!!
I am currently installing the same package, 2006 6.1 Hemi/NAG1 Trans, into my 1967 Belvedere II. Using the HotWireAuto powertrain management system along with the Holley Blackheart Transmission Cross member. I just discovered the toner ring issue...the diameter is approximately 1" too large. I spoke with Chris last week about this and he told me about someone with the same issue that modified his toner ring. I guess that it was you? I am curious to know how you did the modification?
Also, I am waiting to hear back from Sound German Auto about their wheel speed sensor setup...per your comments in your video.
Your Charger looks and runs Great! Your attention to detail is appreciated!!

Auto Transport Service
Back