• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 RR 383 Engine Removal Question

soundhd

Local time
6:58 AM
Reaction score
Recently purchased a 70 RR. Original engine (338 330hp) had been replaced with a 383 330hp 69 engine for whatever reeason. Engine was painted blue (correct color for a 69 RR with factory A/C). Anyway want to repaint the engine the correct color (orange). My question is can the engine be easily removed with the trans (727 auto) attached or will it be better to remove the trans first? What are the good and bad points for each for each way?

Thanks

the only way I do it is as a unit. some guys do it the way the factory did and take it out from the bottom still mounted on the K member
here I rolled the car under it . it took me all of 30 minutes

Attachments

• rb90.jpg
    rb90.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 330
  • rb86.jpg
    rb86.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 334
that,s up to u ,if u remove trannie w motor now u have easy access to clean it up, or paint it and most is 2 replace the front pump seal behind torque converter , the cons is have to plug the out put shaft with a slip yoke, or trannie fluid all over floor #2 time to pull drive shaft @ 4 bolts for cross member , speedo cable , shift linkage , 2 bolts for cross member to the trans mount either way it's up to u how u want to do it

Pulling or installing them together isn't too bad, especially if you have an engine leveler. Myself I make sure the front of the car is up a bit so the tail of the tranny isn't hitting on the way in or out. Pulling/installing just the engine isn't real bad either. Just becomes a bit more tedious being you need to mate up the bell housing and then the flexplate to the torque converter, while jogging around the motor mounts.

x2 on the engine leveler. It's not a "must have" as many guys don't use them, but they go a long way in not beating the hell out of the trans tunnel when pulling the motor as a combo.

the only way I do it is as a unit. some guys do it the way the factory did and take it out from the bottom still mounted on the K member
here I rolled the car under it . it took me all of 30 minutes

I hope you're planning to put some forward cage bars in to support those factory front framerails. They won't last very long that way.

I hope you're planning to put some forward cage bars in to support those factory front framerails. They won't last very long that way.

the inner fender wells are bolted in on the later B Bodies. they were removed for accessibility. that's all factory stuff right there and there are only 8 bolts for each that fasten them. they are not structural. its lasted 33 years that way

Attachments

• rb141.jpg
    rb141.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 271

Guess what my 78 Cordoba is the same wat it has removable wheel wells Just like super77se.I want to say MA Mopar started doing this to B Bodies in 75

I saw the 69 scoop in his avatar and thought it was an early car. The cowl should've been a dead giveaway, but I missed that clue too... lol.... carry on!!

Auto Transport Service
Back