• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Road Runner Headlight Switch

OutLawBiker

Local time
4:56 AM
Reaction score
Hi Ya,
Thanks for taken your time out to assist me in my dilemma.
I replaced my wiring harness with a
Painless #10127 21 Circuit.
The headlight switch connecter is No more, so I must do this by measuring the power to each one of the 7 post.
url

Does anyone know what the power volts to each wire is
so I can identify what wire goes to its correct position?
73 RoadRunner Headlight Connector.jpg

Dang, that's tougher than it sounds. I suggest you study the factory wiring diagram really, really hard until you understand what each wire does.

In your picture, it looks like the big melted connector still has 3 wires in their correct locations, so take more pictures and write that information down. That leaves you with just 4 wires to find a home for. I believe the factory wiring diagram shows the shape of that connector, so that will help a lot.

i am taking your advise and when I hit the finish line will post my findings in case someone else at a later date has this same issue.
Talk to you soon.
-and thank you

this is what it cames on memory

Black is input from batt source just for headlights
Black traced yellow is parking lights signal
Tan wire is rheostat source lights ( dimmer wheel ) runs to fuse box then becomes orange.
Yellow is ground to dome light and related devices ( Map light, ign key courtesy light flasher )
Green is output to headlights ( to dimmer fllor switch )
pink is input to parking and dimmer wheel, comes from fuse box

7th is not used. You actually should find just 6 terminals wired

Nacho,
Thanks my friend. I just finished decoding factory wiring diagram and compared it with "Painless" and they are identical.
I totally appreciate your cure to my woes. Your memory serves you well and me too. :))))))))_)_)_)
Respectfully,
OuLawBiker

Auto Transport Service
Back