• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 roadrunner steering question

I always tell people down here that Ohio folk live and breathe machinery.

OK, here's the 74 column.

As you can see, it's quite different.

The flex joint is much further up even than I remembered.
It's actually just under the shift arm.
The shift arm area is a bit different as well.
Not sure if the OP's car is column shift or floor shift, but it appears the linkage has enough movement to attach to either version.

There's also a shot of my 73 column installed, for reference.

IMG_20160901_165607.jpg
IMG_20160901_165753.jpg
IMG_20160901_165623.jpg

...and it's the same overall length, so the slider joint and roll pin fit the 73 steering box just fine, despite the different lengths of almost every shaft related part between the two.

I had the 74 column in for a test fit when I was deciding if I wanted to put that in rather than install the puck, but decided to keep it out and clean it up, and went ahead with the puck project.

That's how I know it fits and is the same length.

The most difficult part is getting the heat shield through the cowl opening without taking the paint off.
I used a towel laid through the opening, but that made it super tight, with the increased size of the 74 heat shield.

Oh, and the 74 only has 2 column to under dash bracket bolt slots where the 73 has 3.

The ones on the 74 do line up with the ones in the corresponding locations on the 73 bracket.

IMO NBD.

Ok mine looks like the second one which I believe u say is the 73 Colum if I read it correctly....but mine for some reason has the coupler and puck reversed..my puck is at the top and coupler at the bottom but in your picture is the opposite

image.jpeg
Here's mine I hope u can see it better....I'm not sure if it's the right column for the car cause I bought the car 90% completed and not sure it if the factory one or not

Hmm, maybe putting the slide coupler and flex coupler in the proper order might solve your issue.

Looks like you have a slapstick car.....

Yes it is a slap stick car and I did try to flip both ends but the steering column is 3/4" and the geer box is 5/8 so I'm wondering if I could try n find one that will work that has the right size ends

Is that a factory big block car?

That's right you did say that.

Might be different between floor and column shift.

Odd they'd change that.

Someone here should have a slap stick car we can compare to.

Auto Transport Service
Back