• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 RR rubber shield under radiator

ralley72

Local time
6:49 PM
Reaction score
On my 73 RR is there supposed to be a rubber shield that clips to the radiator support at the bottom of the support? Don't have any pictures handy. I have taken a few 73 Satellites apart that have this rubber shield, but my RR doesn't have any holes to clip this in place.
My car is a 400 4 speed non air car.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I have a 73 Satty / RR clone. Unfortunately, my car was well stripped for racing before I bought it. The butchering that took place not only removed the rubber strip,(if there was one), but cut out metal supports behind the grill over each tire to lighten the car. The car is now just for the street with a 440 automatic with a manual reverse valve body. The only cooling on it "was" a 22" radiator with a 16" electric fan with no shroud. Well, for the street that just doesn't cut it and it ran hot without even pushing it. I ended up making metal air blocks to seal the air from going around the radiator. I installed a new 26" rad with dual fan electric fans and a high output water pump. It still was tending to run warm so I sealed the bottom of the radiator support and at the top with high temperature rubber strips. I don't know what they are called but I used these small flat spring clips to attach it. No drilling at all. I wish I could post a picture of the seal, which was black rubber gasket material, but I am currently at work. It was very cheap to do and really helped out. I will post some pictures tomorrow after I sleep some from the midnight shift.
My question to you is: does your car run warm or overheat? If it doesn't, you might not need to seal it. I would venture a guess, that the cars you took apart with the shields were A/C equipped or were ordered with heavy duty cooling. As I said I will get back to you tomorrow, if sweet senility doesn't kick in!

-Brian

I couldn't find the original pictures, so I shot 2 quick ones, one of the passenger side bottom and one of the passenger side top. The same material and attachment for both. They are crude and currently dirty but they function okay, forcing air through the radiator instead of around it.

IMG_20200421_201156826_HDR[3].jpg
IMG_20200421_201339118[2].jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back