• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 charger unwanted gasser stance

74trdchrger

Local time
12:34 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a lot of good info from this website (by using google) but just signed up today. I've got a 74 charger thats setting waayyy too high in the front.. I ordered new leafs today, the previous owners ran air shocks instead of fixing the tired suspension the correct way.. Buy with the rear fixed.. Whats the best way to lower the front without sacrificing ride quality? I checked today and one of the torsion bar bolts is broke off.. So, ill be fixing that soon.. But aiming to get the front 2 inches lower than its factory height.. I still love rake stance. Any help is appreciated!

Welcome! Yeah those torsion bars can be cranked way up or down. Probably get pretty close to your goals once you replace that broken bolt.

If you drop the front very much an alignment will be needed. Once you get the suspension (front and rear) where you want them it would be a good idea to get it done.

Welcome aboard from NJ. Nice Charger, best of luck with it!

Welcome from the show me state!!

Welcome. Post up some pictures of your charger ,you have my favorite body style! I'm working on a 72 rallye now . Would love another 73-74 hard top car !

Thank you for the warm welcoming! Ill get some pictures posted of it soon, it just seems to be setting even a couple inches higher than factory. The previous owners were not very good to it.. Im wondering if maybe the cranked the torsion bars up trying to give it a... Idk.. Mad max vibe or something . which i can appreciate.. Just not the style im aiming for. I just wasnt sure how far i could safelt lower it with the torsion bar method. I was actually hoping they made a drop spindle for it, not too crazy low.. But i cant get away from thinking its the correct way.. Its like the equivalent to cutting springs i guess.. Plus it being a 74 its very hard to find aftermarkets for. 73s you can.. But 74s are ridiculous on parts.. Lotta differences underneath that ya just dont see.. And price is much higher.. Worth it though! I do like this one

Auto Transport Service
Back