• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019 9th Annual FABO NHRA "Pick 'Em" Game - Are You Ready For Some NITRO?!!

My error on my earlier post! Following is the correct Gatornationals qualifying result. I apologize for any confusion.

Congratulations to Budnicks (FBBO) for winning the Top Qualifier title for the 50th annual Amalie Oil Gatornationals with a very nice total of 28.0 bonus points. He picked the #1 qualifier in Funny Car, the #3 qualifier in both Top Fuel and Pro Stock Motorcycle and the #5 qualifier in Pro Stock. Way to go!
'stroked340' (FABO) grabbed the #2 qualifier spot with 27.0 bonus points.
More great picks!
Good luck all in eliminations tomorrow!

We have 17 players this week and 15 different driver combos made up of:
* 7 different Top Fuel drivers with one Round 1 head-to-head matchup between #7 qualifier Clay Millican (1 pick) and #10 qualifier Austin Prock (1 pick). There could be three head-to-head matchup in the 2nd round of eliminations if they all survive the opening round.
* 9 different Funny Car drivers with two Round 1 head-to-head matchups. One between #6 qualifier Jack Beckman (1 pick) and the #11 qualifier J.R. Todd (2 picks); and the other between #8 qualifier Cruz Pedregon (1 pick) and #9 qualifier Bob Tasca III (1 pick). There could also be three head-to-head matchups in Round 2 of eliminations.
* 5 different Pro Stock drivers picked this week. No Round 1 head-to-head matchups, but there could be one head-to-head matchup in the 2nd round of eliminations.
* 5 different Pro Stock Motorcycles drivers picked this week. No Round 1 head-to-head matchups, but there could be one head-to-head matchup in the 2nd round of eliminations.

Good luck all!

:thankyou: ocdart

my picks in the races didn't go as well :lol:
Steve Torrence went out too early & so did Matt Smith

Bo Butner (good lucked his was thru) & Robert Hight were strong

I finally watched it this morning. I was pleased to see a few nice things on the broadcast. The feature on how DSR machines a block and the KB race shop tour were both great content. Notice the red '64 Belvedere sedan in the KB shop? The legends at the race were cool, but the racing in Toyotas or whatever they were was lame in my book. Kind of like watching Johnny Unitas throw a nerfball from a wheelchair. No real point to it for me.
It was nice to see PS back on the broadcast. Nice to see TJ Zizzo win a couple of rounds. Hard for me to believe it's already been 10 years since I went to that race.
The Boss 500 graphics on the valve covers of Tasca's Chrysler Hemi continue to annoy me.

Here are the results and point standings following completion of the 3rd NHRA event of the 2019 season, the 50th annual Gatornationals.

Congratulations to both 'alsant' (FBBO) and 'ocdart' (FABO) for sharing the "Top Picker Eliminator" title for the 50th annual Amalie Oil Gatornationals. They both had an outstanding total of 164.5 points. Their picks were class winners in both Funny Car and Pro Stock, their Pro Stock Motorcycle pick lost in the final round of eliminations and their Top Fuel pick lost in the semi-final round of eliminations. They were both helped with both ET and Speed bonus points in Funny Car.
'Budnicks' (FBBO) was the event runner-up with 163.0 points. Both his Funny Car and Pro Stock picks were class winners, and both his Top Fuel and Pro Stock Motorcycle picks lost in the second round of eliminations. He was helped with ET bonus points in Both Top Fuel and Funny Car, Speed bonus points in both Funny Car and Pro Stock Motorcycle, and his Pro Stock Motorcycle pick also grabbed National Record bonus points.

Here's where the bonus points were earned if you picked the right drivers:

Top Fuel
E.T. - Brittany Force, 3.680 during qualifying and and Steve Torrence, 3.680 during Round 1 of eliminations
Speed - Antron Brown, 330.23 during qualifying

Funny Car
E.T. - Robert Hight, 3.868 during qualifying
Speed - John Force, 331.94 during qualifying, and Robert Hight, 331.94 during Round 1 of eliminations

Pro Stock
E.T. - Rodger Brogdon, 6.490 during qualifying
Speed - Greg Anderson, 213.40 during qualifying

Pro Stock Motorcycle
E.T. - Andrew Hines, 6.720 (new National Record) during qualifying
Speed - Matt Smith, 201.76 (new National Record) during qualifying

Here are the game point standings after the 3rd event of the 2019 season:

383.5 - alsant (FBBO) no change in standings
295.5- cuda20 (FABO) +2
284.5 - Back in Time (FABO) +2
256.0 - Budnicks (FBBO) +7
254.0 - Garry in AZ (FABO) -2
238.5 - Duster79 (FABO) no change
237.0 - ocdart (FABO) +7
222.0 - Nick2317 (FBBO)
200.5 - 64BEL (FBBO) +1
185.0 - 71dartswinger (FABO) -1
179.5 - super-bee_ski (FBBO) -4
173.0 - SSG Karg (FABO) -4
171.5 - MomsDuster (FABO) -1
170.0 - stroked340 (FABO) -1

152.0 - memike (FABO) no change
131.5 - johnnycuda (FABO) +1
118.5 - Nitro Will (FABO) -1

The 4th race of the 2019 season, the silliness that is the 10th annual Denso Spark Plugs NHRA Four-Wide Nationals, is April 5-7, at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in Las Vegas, NV.
As always, your picks need to be posted before Pro Qualifying starts on Friday, April 5 in order to qualify for all event bonus points. Pro qualifying is scheduled to start at 3:30PM EDT (12:30 PM PDT).
The Four-Wide Nationals entry list is posted on NHRA.com and currently shows 10 Top Fuel, 13 Funny Car, 13 Pro Stock and 12 Pro Stock Motorcycle entries but that is always subject to change. Keep checking the NHRA.com website for an updated entry list to make sure your picks are competing at this event.
I will post a reminder about the special scoring that is used for all Four-Wide events the Tuesday before the event.
Get your picks posted and GOOD LUCK!

Nice picking, guys! Way to hold on to the top alsant!

TF: Austin Prock
FC: Cruz Pedregon
PS: Bo Butner
PSM: Hector Arana Jr

Will they bury PSM along with PS in mid week coverage? What a joke the NHRA is becoming.

Good Luck Everyone

Do not watch
And as far as the BOSS 500 pissing you off....
It is advertisement
It's NOT a Chrysler Hemi like my 1970 426 Hemi
It is an aftermarket as does all of the Top NHRA drivers (Nitro)
Do you think Antron Brown is driving a Toyota?
Is Robert Height driving a GM?
No,
The CARS do not even look like a Dodge, Ford, Toyota or a Chevy...
I get it, you don't like anything but MOPAR, I can "dig" it...
But its corporate sponsorship
It's all about the Big Bucks

Do these Heads look like Ma Mopar to you? (in my pic, I was at Pomona with Bob Tasca, I like those guys,,sorry to offend you.
But grow up.
I'm so sorry the BOSS 500 pisses you off, but hey, there are more things to worry about if you ask me 64Bel

cyHfHkCcSMqtFfFzrxq9Jg.jpg
IV22EDc%Q1Oq+Pu7gzEfYg.jpg
G2615sbGQAyjs0vceWc6sw.jpg

Easy, there, ski. I didn't say it pissed me off, I said it annoys me. Big difference. And not a personal attack on Bob Tasca or any other racer. Yeah I'm a Mopar man, but my favorite driver is Tim Wilkerson, so be careful with your assumptions.

Easy, there, ski. I didn't say it pissed me off, I said it annoys me. Big difference. And not a personal attack on Bob Tasca or any other racer. Yeah I'm a Mopar man, but my favorite driver is Tim Wilkerson, so be careful with your assumptions.

Im so sorry 64Bel
Yup, I get it
And I don't care if you like Bob Tasca or do not like, I mis-took the whole thing.
I was "off kilter" last night, SORRY 64Bel, my BAD.
I "Get-It", I totally get where you are coming from...
For me: It's the Multiple Car, Monopoly thing Force and Schumacher were/are doing
TOTAL Domination...
I have the utmost respect for you...
Yeah, the funny thing that I see is the Pro Stock seems to be the last legitimate race...
Sorry 64Bel, your the man!
(Tim Wilk) is awesome

Last edited:
All is well, ski - no harm done!:) I'm with you on routing for the little guy, too! I always route for Jeff Diehl, and Cruz Pedregon, as well. TJ Zizzo is another favorite. I admire the juggernauts that DSR and JFR have built, but I prefer the single car teams - especially the underfunded ones. I'd love to see the Fords run an engine based on the SOHC and the Chevy guys run a Chevy based engine. I miss the good old days when the manufacturer names meant something.

All is well, ski - no harm done!:) I'm with you on routing for the little guy, too! I always route for Jeff Diehl, and Cruz Pedregon, as well. TJ Zizzo is another favorite. I admire the juggernauts that DSR and JFR have built, but I prefer the single car teams - especially the underfunded ones. I'd love to see the Fords run an engine based on the SOHC and the Chevy guys run a Chevy based engine. I miss the good old days when the manufacturer names meant something.

Yeah huh?
My Cousin from RI moved to Orlando, retired PD dept. He "picked" TJ Rizzo last week at Gainesville
Gee, he flew in under the RADAR
Cool man, Pro Stock is the last of the Independants!

I saw John Force JFR (Chevy now) is doing what
Allen Johnson AJR
Don Schumacher DSR (MoPar & Toyota) have been doing
& they all are CNC machining their own heads & blocks (other CNC'd parts)
out of chunks of Billet, now 'their own products' produced in house...

just figured I'd throw that in...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I forgot JP1 (Joe Pisano RIP) Venolia/Childs & Albert fame
& Keith Black parts are (or were org.) based on MoPars RB Hemi
but way better/stronger evolved designs, much better materials
repairable, weld-able, moved oil passages, better clamping etc. etc. etc.
easily removable (with a slide hammer) replaceable interchangeable sleeves
bore & crank-mains spacing & sizes was the same as a Chrysler RB Hemi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember the old Donavan 392 Chry. based (Aluminum Hemi 413 & 430cid)
also the Milodon Mastodon (big cid Hemi 526-540-572cid 'huge for the time')
based on the Chrysler RB Hemi

they all have evolved out of the MoPar based engines

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arias Hemi was/are based on a GM designs,
were org. GM rotating assembly bore spacing/mains etc.
John Kaase builds 'Ford Based' Shotgun (Boss 429 style) style semi Hemi stuff

the Ford 427 DOHC Hemi & 427 SOHC was short lived & did well for a time
expensive, rare ( now hard to find) & more time/complicated to build

just thought I'd throw some good info out there
carry on

Posting this a little earlier than I said I would. The 4-Wides are scored differently. We're using the same scoring this year as previously used and, again, this scoring is only for the 4-Wide events, both Las Vegas and Carolina.
Points change for 4-Wide events ONLY!!!

Same rules as the past several years:

These events only have 3 rounds of eliminations. Event scoring will be similar to the NHRA points scoring.

Qualifying position bonus points are the same as always

Each pro elimination round is run with 4 cars per race rather than 2, and 2 cars advance from each of the first 2 rounds of eliminations.

First round: Four races of four cars each. The 1st car of each race to cross the finish line will get 10 points, the 2nd car will get 5 points. Eight cars advance to the second round of eliminations.

Second round: Two races of four cars each. Same scoring as the first round. Four cars advance to the final round of eliminations.

Final round: One race of four cars. 1st Place finisher will get 10 points, 2nd Place will get 5 points, 3rd Place will get 3 points, 4th Place will get 1 point.

Same scoring for quickest e.t. and fastest speed for the event and for any national record set at this event.

Again, this scoring will be for the 4-Wide events only.

Denso/Vegas 4 wide
I'm not a huge fan of the 4 wide races
now if they had 32 car fields or more it'd be better
but they can't hardly get a 16 car fields :poke:

anyway, all 4 of the pro classes, they choose to show

damn I wish they'd include Pro-mod,
in the live TV coverage & not the Fuel-Harley BS

anyway enough bitchin' here's my picks

T/F Steve Torrence
F/C Robert Hight
P/S Bo Butner
P/SM Matt Smith

good luck everyone

For vegas Ill go with

TF leah Pritchett
FC Matt Hagan
PS Greg Anderson
PSM Matt Smith

Here's your Tuesday before the event reminder for the DENSO Spark Plugs NHRA Four-Wide Nationals.
Professional classes at the Four-Wides start Friday, April 5th. Current forecast calling for high temp of 75F on Friday. Saturday forecast is a high temp of 74F, and Sunday forecast shows a high temp of 80F.
The current entry list shows:
15 Top Fuel - still no sign of a Tony Schumacher entry
17 Funny Car
16 Pro Stock
19 Pro Stock Motorcycle

Interesting thing I noticed on the nhra.com entry list for Top Fuel is that Leah Pritchett's entry is listed as "DSR Top Fuel Team" rather than a sponsor name.

Get your picks posted!

Auto Transport Service
Back