• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 LA performance cam, heads, and EFI

vivalibre

Local time
11:57 AM
Reaction score
My first post! Hello fellow MOPAR fans.

I've just acquired a 73 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus with a tired 318 + 3 speed auto. I plan on slowly hotrodding this car over the next several years with my three teenage boys.

8r0bUJW.png

fhEcKFw

After lurking on a lot of forums, watching endless hours of Motortrend (LOVE Hot Rod Garage, cheers Tony and Lucky), and looking at different upgrades, I've decided the first upgrade will be a move to EFI. Going with this EFI system:

Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4
https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/35900/10002/-1

This EFI kit doesn't work with the stock 318 heads; requires 360 heads. So I'll just get some performance heads and a cam:

Heads: https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/60779/10002/-1
Cams: https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/7177/10002/-1

Has anyone done an upgrade like this on a 318 LA engine? How did you like it? Any gotchas to watch out for?

Andrew W.
Bellevue, WA

Awesome project. I think the boys will love getting into this.:thumbsup:

Why do you think it won't work with the stock 318? Most efi conversions will.
I do like the car, keep us posted with your progress.

Welcome to FBBO. If the teen is tired it might need some freshening up. That's a great father/son project + you get a smooth running engine to boot. Injection will give you some modern drivability but not that much extra performance for the dollars spent. Used intakes and carbs are quite inexpensive and can be tuned for performance and efficiency. Your car, do what you wish. Keep us posted on your progress.

Because the Edelbrock product page literally says "Will only work on 318 CID engines when using 340-360 cylinder heads"

Welcome to FBBO. If the teen is tired it might need some freshening up. That's a great father/son project + you get a smooth running engine to boot. Injection will give you some modern drivability but not that much extra performance for the dollars spent. Used intakes and carbs are quite inexpensive and can be tuned for performance and efficiency. Your car, do what you wish. Keep us posted on your progress.

The EFI will give me reliability, better MPG, and better cold start performance. The cams, heads, higher fuel pressure, and included intake with the EFI kit will give me the extra ponies. At least that's the idea!

that cam is a cheap white box cam reboxed by edelbrock and sold at a very high price
even if you get the exact same cam from say elgin or wolverine in the white box it's a piece of crap
I have a home in Bellingham out on James street but covid stuck in LA
you need to figure your true compression and state gears before thinking of cam
also run a compression test and post
no reason tat fi wont work on stock heads
how old is the timing chain?

My first post! Hello fellow MOPAR fans.

I've just acquired a 73 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus with a tired 318 + 3 speed auto. I plan on slowly hotrodding this car over the next several years with my three teenage boys.

View attachment 998400
fhEcKFw

After lurking on a lot of forums, watching endless hours of Motortrend (LOVE Hot Rod Garage, cheers Tony and Lucky), and looking at different upgrades, I've decided the first upgrade will be a move to EFI. Going with this EFI system:

Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4
https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/35900/10002/-1

This EFI kit doesn't work with the stock 318 heads; requires 360 heads. So I'll just get some performance heads and a cam:

Heads: https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/60779/10002/-1
Cams: https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/7177/10002/-1

Has anyone done an upgrade like this on a 318 LA engine? How did you like it? Any gotchas to watch out for?

Andrew W.
Bellevue, WA

Nice car. I'm not sure what the ultimate goal is with the car, but you might want to look at doing a Gen III hemi swap from a take out with all the accessories.
There are alot of pros for the swap, but also the cons of fitment.
The Gen 3 Hemi with accessories comes with the EFI, Coil on plug ignition, high flow heads, roller cam, high output alternator, modern A/C compressor and power steering pump, and the serpentine belt drive system. If looking for these features, it is very expensive to retrofit these things to the older engines.

Either way, start with a good fuel system with in-tank EFI pump, 3/8" supply and return lines.

The cam mentioned above is too much duration for a 318 unless you are installing a high stall converter and gears.

I think the Spectra Premium CR10B fuel tank is the replacement (around $200), and could be modified for EFI with one on the in-tank retro fit kits. They can get pricey. The Holley version with the hydromat pickup looks nice, The $500 price looks pretty steep until you look at how expensive the hydromat is.

I'm gonna have to call BS on the "won't work with 318 heads" as well.

that cam is a cheap white box cam reboxed by edelbrock and sold at a very high price
even if you get the exact same cam from say elgin or wolverine in the white box it's a piece of crap
I have a home in Bellingham out on James street but covid stuck in LA
you need to figure your true compression and state gears before thinking of cam
also run a compression test and post
no reason tat fi wont work on stock heads
how old is the timing chain?

Solid advice. If the motor doesn't have good compression, I would lean toward getting a Gen III hemi from a donor vehicle or even the 392 crate motor. If the motor has good compression and is a good runner, I'll consider upgrading. Car gets delivered next week!

318 can never be destructive lol run it with no oil don't matter lol My eng builder could get about 500H.P. out of 318 this lots of knowledgable people around to help or direct you to good parts keep updates of photos

Auto Transport Service
Back