• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 Needs a new home

tbones22

Local time
2:52 AM
Reaction score
My son and I just picked up a 383 from a 69 Road Runner - complete (no carb), running and bored .30 over - We'll build our first with this and find a home for it later!
I once owned a 69 Charger and a 74 Road Runner - since then, we've tinkered with some random stuff, but it's time we get a bit serious about a strong street car/driver.

I look forward to good conversation and to hearing about others' projects along the way!

Oh, and we're rebuilding/restocking our tools and equipment after the divorce (yep, the divorce) - we'll be looking for a variety of shop items as time goes on. We're in Monona WI.

...Joe and Joe

Welcome and good luck on the build and tool collecting. Maybe it will warm up some day.

Welcome to the site Joe and Joe!

That's different. Buy a engine first then find a car for it. I think that might work! Keep us posted on what you come up with. How about a '69 Camaro! That would rattle some cages...

I don't think it will ever warm up. I have given up on that for now. Thanks for the reply neighbor.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the response! We'll be sure and keep the progress posted. Something tells me there'll be a roller in the garage long before the motor is built, but I do like the motivation of having a power plant iching to be used! The Camaro idea kinda rattles my bones too! Maybe a Jeep!

welcome to FBBO

Welcome.
Damn, I read the Title to this and thought I had another spare.
Check out the stroker kits available for it. I have beaten more 440s with a 383 than I've lost to.

Welcome.
Damn, I read the Title to this and thought I had another spare.
Check out the stroker kits available for it. I have beaten more 440s with a 383 than I've lost to.

Do not underestimate those 383s! I have had several and they were by far the toughest engine I've owned. I have even purposely tried to blow one by holding the pedal on the floor for five minutes! Valves were floating, smoke was pouring out the pipes but it just wouldn't blow. Continued driving the car for another year. Crazy!

Welcome to FBBO. I was also recently de-tooled (yes, feel free to interpret that however you want...you'd be correct) in a similar situation and am in the process of rebuilding my "stuff". Hand tools are coming along. The compressor, blast cabinet, parts washer, rollaways, etc etc are gonna take more time. One thing I know for certain tho...ain't nobody gettin' my "stuff" a SECOND time.

Jeeps don't really like torque-y big blocks, the stock drivetrain can't handle it. As cool as they are, stock Jeep stuff isn't really heavy-duty. A hot rod pickup would be cool, and RamChargers can still be found at reasonable prices if'n your wanting a 4x4 SUV. Also, a nice A or F body can be had for waaay less than any B or E body these days. Even 75-up Bs are getting pricey (ASKING price-y). 5G will get a VERY sound A or F body...or a derelict, already parted-out Challenger or Coronet/Belvie.
I just inadvertently ran down my next 4 projects.

welcome to the site Joe and Joe good luck on the tool rebuilding and the 383 build

tbones22...welcome to the forum! Always good to hear about a father/son project. Maybe get your son to join up here as well. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back