• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 block questions, is mine hi-po or slo-mo?

rikubot

Local time
1:02 PM
Reaction score
I have a 69 dodge charger that came with a 383, but now it has a 440. I was wondering if mines a performance motor or not. How can I check?

usually there will be an "HP" stamped on the raised pad next to the distributor.

I have a 69 dodge charger that came with a 383, but now it has a 440. I was wondering if mines a performance motor or not. How can I check?

Make no difference. All heads are very similar. Only real difference is the compression,(which is too high for pump gas anyway on the early motors. And the cam which I would change for a more modern grind anyway. The only other items would be a windage tray and exhaust manifolds.
Doug

I don't think 383's are slo mo, X2 on the HP on the deck stamp. Let me know if you want to get rid of it.

I don't think 383's are slo mo, X2 on the HP on the deck stamp. Let me know if you want to get rid of it.

Sorry about that I DEFINITLY didnt mean to call 383s slo mo, I should have been more clear. I heard that some later 440s had a lot less power than they did in the prime muscle years and I was hoping that the dude who had the car before me didnt put one of those in there. I'm not even sure if my facts are even remotely correct. My car just feels slow. My tranny is slippin like crazy and needs a rebuild so my car has never felt like its been at full power. But when my tranny was in slightly better shape, it felt nothing like my uncle's gtx 440/4speed. Mine is an auto.

no expert, but I believe you have more power with the 4 speed even if auto is tip top. What I've always hear and believed is that an auto only transfers 75% of the power to the rear tires. Where as the 4 speed transfers 90%. Now like i said no expert, but we are surrounded by them here. So I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

What I was told about automatics thats positive is that they never miss a shift. Where a 4 speed is open for operator error.

4 speeds are more fun to drive. I think the auto will win out all other things equal simply because of the torque multiplication of the converter.

To the OP's original post. All the blocks are pretty much the same. They don't what what stamp they have on them, or what parts they are packed with. All they do is hold it all together. It's the total package that designates "HP" or not. Somebody pays more for an engine or block with an HP stamp for anything other than restoration purposes, they just got ripped off.

The power output of an engine does not change depending on transmission type. How much power transfered to the wheels will. A torque converter will always slip to some degree and more so the more power thr engine makes, unless you have a lock up converter. But these are not used in performance applications. Torque converter selection is one of those areas that you really shouldnt cheap out on, especially if you are racing. The difference between a 300 dollar converter and a 900 dollar converter is easily a full second off your et.

I have seen blocks with no webbing. Be aware of that.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'll have to check out all the markings on my block and see exactly whats going on.

I appreciate all of your help!

Auto Transport Service
Back