• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 build up

if you go from a universal master to a .904 you do not have to go bigger to get more area
great comments curious
Bullet- great choice
they have cam lists on line
but OP do not buy off a cam list
you can't tell if it's a race only profile or a daily driver profile, spring requirements, heavy vs light valve train, etc
Engle also a great choice- they have several lines of profiles (as did Crane)
just watch for the bait with mopar then grind with chevy from some grinders
for real budget Chet Herbert has .904 not in catalog but as with many grinders not modern profiles- but they were designed for the old bad springs that were available so wear well
Howards- stay from the old Los Angeles era profiles and check and see how radical their new stuff is
IDK if jones has .903 in a non race profile- you would have to ask
he does give great application advice

I'm very satisfied with the Hughes cam that they recommended for my 493. I bought the whole kit from them. Good service from them helping me diagnose the poor lifter bore location problem after I found chipped lifters.
Mike

Use the 3.55 R&P unless you run tall tires.
With 26" tires (17" wheels) and a 3.54 w/1:1 4th gear I turned 3,500 around 72 MPH. More RPMs than that would have been uncomfortable.
Now I roll with 4.10s and a .68 5th gear, dropped to 2,750 at 72, and that is SO MUCH nicer than 750 RPMs would make you think.

Auto Transport Service
Back