• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 engine may need a rebuild????

Bens69PlymouthSatellite

Local time
4:12 AM
Reaction score
So here is my dilema,I just pulled the intake off the 440 this weekend to look at what was going on inside a little,what I discovered was a good chunk taken out of the front of the cam lobe,sorta deep to,also exhaust valves seem to have a little carbon build up,curious if any one could tell me what may have caused this I will get pics on when I can,just deciding if it will need a full teardown!!! Thanks a ton!

Can't see the exhaust valves by pulling the intake. But a bit of buildup on the valves isn't unusual......at least for a motor with miles on it.

As far as the cam goes...........IF the timing set has never been changed, then it's time to get in to at least the front of the motor. Cam change isn't that much more work once you're there

Absolutely change the lifters. Pushrods should be ok as long as they are straight, roll them on a flat surface. Without question, you should also put a new oil pump on too.
Of course cam bearings as well. As runner said carbon is not uncommon, so you already pulled the heads, is the engine out of the vehicle?. Because if it is I'm going to tell you to tear it the rest of the way down now and check the rest of it out. Much better off doing it now than wishing you had after you have it back in your freshly painted ride.
This is all, of course, unless you have plans for a different engine in the near future.

My engine was never in the car to begin with it was supposedly rebuilt and run briefly by the previous owner,which I dont think the briefly part was true since the cam looks like hell,the bottom end seems to have compression,even though I have not pulled the heads of to inspect any further,but a full inspection will be done now,if I do need a rebuild I can use my crank and rods provided they are still good right? also I think I may try this edelbrock kit part no.2087 I found on jegs,what would u all say about this?

So would you say it sounds like a decent bang for the buck? I am on a tight budget,not trying to half *** anything,but 100 hp over stock doesnt sound to shabby,and edelbrock seems to make really nice parts,and I am no mechanic so it seems fairly simple to me as far as taking some of the guess work out,also any one know the average cost of boaring an engine and magnafluxing?

If you change the cam you also need to change the lifters and valve springs to match the cam size.

The Edelbrock kit I was looking at is the whole top of the engine,only thing I dont like is the dual plane intake manifold,which im sure somone on here would prefer one of those. so I could sell it for a decent price.

So does anybody have any opinions on this rebuild kit part no. 2087??? I know edelbrock is pretty spot on with there claims for power gains,build quality, and specs,curious what you would think?? thanks alot!!

Isn't it great how things spiral out of control! You start with one thing, but then you go "as long as I'm at it....", and "since I can reach it now...."! HaHa!

I dont think anything is wrong with the dual plane I just hear the torker 2 is a better manifold and people seem to generate more power from the single plane unless i have been misinformed!?

Well....unless I read it wrong you're looking at getting a "package" from Edelbrock, then want to ditch part of that package?

that right?

Maybe not,like I said a hundo hp over stock isnt to shabby,what is your opinion of the dual plane 69 Runner,perks?? perks of single plane??? I would leave it the whole shebang most likely,I see your point but a good explanation between the two would be appreciated!!

just my 2 cents? Single plane=max performance, good on the track, does best at high rpm, Dual plane=stoplight hero, good idle and part throttle driving. Dont get me wrong, you can run a single plane on the street, but there will be trade-offs. But what will you "honestly" be doing most of the time?

O.k well im sold on the dual plane I actually had the performance aspects of both mixed up,I will be doing street driving,and maybe some racing not the overall plan though,I do have a tendency to frequently excercise my throttle foot!!! Thanks for the clarification!!

I speak from experience! I once over-cammed a cheby 350 with a cam that didnt "come-in" till 3500rpm. what a lazy, un-tunable, POS to drive around! But yeah, once I hit 3200-3500, it felt like I hit the nitrous button!! Realized I did not spend that much time in that rpm range, maybe 1.5 secs between that and the shift, in a mostly street car! Poor choice on my part. Wish I had the internet then!

Thanks to all of U for yourhelp!! Gonna figure out what im doing as far as my rebuild but I think i will end up just using the eddy kit,I would have been happy with a stock 440 so the eddy kit is more than i can ask for!!

Auto Transport Service
Back