• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Six Pack Carburetors - Front vs Back

Thank you all for your help.

What exactly does plugging/covering the idle air bleed holes do? Does it cut off the fuel flow from that carburetor?

What exactly does plugging/covering the idle air bleed holes do? Does it cut off the fuel flow from that carburetor?
It cuts back on air. If you read the typed procedure, it says when you block EITHER bleed hole and RPMs DROP, the idle mixture screw is too rich, if it increases in RPMs, it's too lean.
Use that procedure! It made ALL of the difference in tuning the outboard mixture screws for me!

Good, thank you, BioMedTechGuy, that explains what covering the holes does.

I'm looking down the carburetor throat, I see the four small holes, right side of photo, front end of carburetor, which of these four are the idle air bleed holes?

Please see the attached photos.

IMG_5747.JPG IMG_5748.JPG

Harold Deams has a wonderful series on 6 pack carbs on YouTube.

Think I going to send mind to him to have rebuilt. Think my plates may be warped and needing resurfacing.

Harold Deams has a wonderful series on 6 pack carbs on YouTube.

Think I going to send mind to him to have rebuilt. Think my plates may be warped and needing resurfacing.

I found 2 videos from him specifically for the 6 bbl and saved them. Any others?

I found 2 videos from him specifically for the 6 bbl and saved them. Any others?
I know he has others doing carb work, but the 6 pack video's gave me a great understanding of how these carbs operate. Just don't have the equipment to do the machine work. I talked to him and he's a nice person - very helpful with problems. He will rebuild carbs for a decent price. Probably cheaper than me trying to do it and messing it up a few times... And the air filter - ridiculous. Bought a K&N for 94 - hope it works good.

Auto Transport Service
Back