• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Source heads

BigBlock61

Local time
4:13 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm considering building a 512 or 528 stroker motor out of my 440. It will mainly see street duty but I do want to some racing when the urge strikes. Has anyone used the 440 Source heads and what do you think of them?

I have them on my car and I like them my engine man said there a good deal. Bob

I've had 2 sets of them, running one now, and they are at least as good as the 906's, with the added benefit of heat transference
. I run a 10-1 compression engine on regular pump gas, and it's almost impossible to get spark knock, even on the hottest day. I love em

I have run 2 sets and both propelled my B body into the 12's. a good head, that has straight spark plugs which is a huge benefit... However, that being said, I would have a reputable engine shop look over any cylinder head I bought.

Mike

I have them on this Motor and so far I am happy with their fit, finish, look and performance. MOPAR Muscle ran a segment last month on Aluminum Heads and slammed the 440 Source heads as "copycat imported Heads" to the new Edlebrock E-Street units. They further went on to say, "the foreign-made heads can't compare in long-term quality to the Edlebrock castings". They then went on to say that the Metallurgy and machining were inferior on the foreign sourced heads verses the Edlebrock's which I find rather untrue. The 440 Source heads are bare cast blanks from off shore and the machining and set up is accomplished here at their facility. So far I am a true believer in their product but others probably feel differently...but for a really stock looking Motor, the 440 Source heads really do look good. Check their web site for more testimonials from happy users...:hello2:

Do you think 440 Source is going to let someone bash their product on THEIR web site? :D I don't have any experience with them so I don't have a dog in this fight but I'm suspect of dang near anything coming out of China and that's where I last heard they were getting their castings. It won't matter who does the machine work if the castings suck. That being said, I have bought stuff that was made in China in the 70's when I was more poor than I am now and it's still working just fine but seems like the stuff coming out of there these days isn't nearly as good as it used to be so I try not to buy anything from there these days.

We've ported a few sets of the 440 Source heads into the 340 cfm range and found no problems with the
standard castings. The Super Stealth (max wedge) port heads are rather crude and uneven in port shape.

We've ported a few sets of the 440 Source heads into the 340 cfm range and found no problems with the
standard castings. The Super Stealth (max wedge) port heads are rather crude and uneven in port shape.
so go standard over S/stealth?

It's not quite that simple. What do you want out of your heads? Go to the search function at the top of the page and search.......

440 Source Super Stealth Heads

Look for the thread titled the same. It should answer the question

So it looks like the overall trend is that they are good heads as long as they are not the super stealth heads.

Weren't their heads just reviewed in last month's Mopar Muscle? I know everyone hates magazine articles, but they have dyno charts comparing both 440Source setups to stockers, incl. flowbench numbers. Might be worth a look at least, to add to your other research before purchase.

Weren't their heads just reviewed in last month's Mopar Muscle? I know everyone hates magazine articles, QUOTE]

For the record, I do NOT hate magazine articles by any stretch! I LOVE reading them...

Semi-offtopic: Same here actually. I should've worded that something like: Many of us car guys have grown up thinking that the bigger advertisers contribute to bias in any articles reviewing their products in the same magazine. Regardless, I love seeing pics of the high-$$$ builds, rare & show cars, and good tech articles.

Cynical view: Magazine product reviews are best tempered with other forms of research, especially from experienced builders/racers out there. Forums like this one are a good start for "real world" results, IMHO, YMMV... ;)

i also have stealth heads on my 505", i replaceed the valves with soem comp cams and replaced the springs with lunatis and comp cams retainers and stem seals etc. they work good and look good, no flaw anywhere in mine

I have them on this Motor and so far I am happy with their fit, finish, look and performance. MOPAR Muscle ran a segment last month on Aluminum Heads and slammed the 440 Source heads as "copycat imported Heads" to the new Edlebrock E-Street units. They further went on to say, "the foreign-made heads can't compare in long-term quality to the Edlebrock castings". They then went on to say that the Metallurgy and machining were inferior on the foreign sourced heads verses the Edlebrock's which I find rather untrue. The 440 Source heads are bare cast blanks from off shore and the machining and set up is accomplished here at their facility. So far I am a true believer in their product but others probably feel differently...but for a really stock looking Motor, the 440 Source heads really do look good. Check their web site for more testimonials from happy users...:hello2:
Ok so lets assume the 440 Source heads are not the same quality as Edelbrocks. For many people the 440 source heads are very affordable. We don't expect the Chinese stuff to be in the same leaque as the Edelbrocks. Most off shore product works. It is not the caliber of Edelbrock. i hear for years people bad mouthing the 440 Source product, but it can't be that bad if so many people are buying it. So you get what you pay for. A cheap pair of heads for a cheap price. If you can afford the Edelbrocks go for it.

Ok so lets assume the 440 Source heads are not the same quality as Edelbrocks. For many people the 440 source heads are very affordable. We don't expect the Chinese stuff to be in the same leaque as the Edelbrocks. Most off shore product works. It is not the caliber of Edelbrock. i hear for years people bad mouthing the 440 Source product, but it can't be that bad if so many people are buying it. So you get what you pay for. A cheap pair of heads for a cheap price. If you can afford the Edelbrocks go for it.

Agreed. But to say that the Edlebrock's are 100% domestically produced is flat out wrong. They get their castings done outside the US and then do the machining in house. Same as the 440 Source Heads. As long as fit and fitment are there, then why not save where you can. Like I stated above, go to the 440 Source site and read what others have said about them and what the are doing to them for both stock and performance applications. Great product at a great price...my 2 cents

Agreed. But to say that the Edlebrock's are 100% domestically produced is flat out wrong. They get their castings done outside the US and then do the machining in house. Same as the 440 Source Heads. As long as fit and fitment are there, then why not save where you can. Like I stated above, go to the 440 Source site and read what others have said about them and what the are doing to them for both stock and performance applications. Great product at a great price...my 2 cents

The Edelbrock foundry is located in San Jacinto, CA. Something IS "flat out wrong" here.

If I've got $1500, I'm buying Edelbrock. If'n I only have $1000 I'd buy the Stealth. I would ALWAYS try to get the Edelbrock FIRST.

And before I tell people that Edelbrock gets their casting done outside of the U.S., I'd go to the Edelbrock website first, see the foundry address, see the video, and watch all those non-chinese workers.........that must have immigrated to China, just to work for Edelbrock.........work the foundry.

Last edited:
The Edelbrocks are made in california like IQ52 says.

Auto Transport Service
Back