• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

451 Road Runner woes

Agreed, that many discolored rockers really points to friction which could be clearance issues but most likely an oiling problem. I really think the cam bearing needs to be checked for proper alignment and the shafts checked as well.

View attachment 277524

I'm confused. Why do the direction arrows show the oil flow out of the pickup?

Just got off the phone with the shop that put the motor together. Seems the #4 cam bearing did spin, preventing oil from getting to the top of the motor. He has put hundreds of motors together and has never had this happen before - just my luck. He thinks the cam would be good, but I have been talking to Jim @ Racer Brown and have decided to have him grind me a hydraulic one and get away from the solid. He feels that it will make as much power as my old Comp solid even though he is dropping the lift, duration, and lobe separation. Also found out that my rockers were indeed Proform. Not that there was anything wrong with that as any brand would have failed with no oil. Have decided to go with Harland Sharp this time around 1.6 intake and 1.5 exhaust.

Suspicious, makes you wonder if it wasn't just put in wrong to begin with. Any engine builder checks the cam fit, just saying!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm confused. Why do the direction arrows show the oil flow out of the pickup?

Haha, I never noticed that... Boy that motors gonna have some real issues!

Suspicious, makes you wonder if it wasn't just put in wrong to begin with. Any engine builder checks the cam fit, just saying!

It does seem strange. I know it was oiling when on the dyno because I was there when the valve covers were pulled and the valve lash was checked after 10 pulls. It had to have happened fairly recently because it never would have made it 480 miles with no oil to the top end. I know he feels bad because he said there would be no charge if I built it back the same way as before. I will pay for the changes I am making and he is going to eat the rest.

Great that you found the issue. It sounds like the builder is willing to work with you.

have them check VERY CLOSE for a crack in the main journals, look close at the one under the #4 cam bearing.

Make sure it is completely disassembled cleaned and inspected. There is a reason the cam bearing failed and it needs to be found.

This has been a known mistake the factory service manual for decades. Typical fit and finish for the era LOL.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha, I never noticed that... Boy that motors gonna have some real issues!

Thought I should get this thread updated as we just got the motor dyno'd last week with the new top end. We reused the bottom end which is a 440 stroker kit with 10:1 compression. Also reused the stock Stealth heads and Edelbrock RPM intake. New pieces consist of a Racer Brown SSH-44 hydraulic cam, Comp racing lifters, Harland Sharp roller rockers 1.6 intake 1.5 exhaust, Quick Fuel Q750 mech. secondary carb, FBO ignition box with rev limiter, blaster coil, and his distributor. I am down 12 ft. lbs of torque but up 22 hp from my old Comp 282 solid cam. Looking forward to getting it out on the road next spring.

451 dyno racer brown 001.jpg

Last edited:
Those are some healthy numbers, should shred the tires with ease!

do you have a dyno sheet of the 282 magnum cam? it would be interesting to see what a larger carb would do.

do you have a dyno sheet of the 282 magnum cam? it would be interesting to see what a larger carb would do.

As a matter of fact, I do. This is with the Comp 282 solid, Proform roller rockers, Holley 770 Street Avenger. We did make a couple of pulls with this set up and a new 850 Holley double pumper. That carb added 8 hp and 8 ft.lbs to these #'s.

dyno pull 001.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back