• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

470” B engine build combos.

I prefer the 400/512 kits, why not get the extra cubes for the same money. I’ve built 3 of these exact same short blocks now. One in my rr, one in my dads dart, and another for a buddies challenger. Here’s my build, nothing real trick but it flat runs! Had it out this morning for about a 40 mile cruise. Plus made 3 full passes on it. Suppose to snow so I was getting it out of my system… and it’s probably a bit faster now than those original time slips :lol:

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/roadrunner-8-4.101032/

https://youtube.com/shorts/T5XMY_6guIs?feature=share

Nice RR!!

Really, this is a fantastic book if you haven't purchased parts already;
https://www.amazon.com/How-Build-Max-Performance-Mopar-Big-Blocks/dp/1613250924

In terms of compression, I wanted something street friendly that I can run on 89 (ethanol free) or 93 octane. Most of my parts selection was based upon AndyF's testing data.

400/470 (440-source kit) 9.6:1 CR.
Holley 850 Ultra XP Carburetor. [Edelbrock Mechanical Pump @ 7.5 PSI, 1/2" fuel line from cell]
Mopar M1-4500 Intake Manifold. [2" 4150 - 4500 adapter]
84cc Edelbrock Performer RPM Cylinder Heads (home porting) [Steward Performance 3/8" .145 Wall Pushrods, Crane Ductile Iron Adj. Rockers]
Lunati Solid Camshaft, 259/267 @ .050 - 0.586"/0.606" Lift. 110 LSA.
1-7/8" longtube headers w/ 3" collectors.
3" Exhaust, X-Pipe, Dynomax Race Bullets (two sets).

727 trans. Reverse manual valve body. FTI 9.5" converter (stalls @ 4,000 RPM). 3.55 gears w/ Dr. Diff limited slip & Axles.

Last edited:

In terms of compression, I wanted something street friendly that I can run on 89 (ethanol free) or 93 octane. Most of my parts selection was based upon AndyF's testing data.

Holley 850 Ultra XP Carburetor. [Edelbrock Mechanical Pump @ 7.5 PSI, 1/2" fuel line from cell]
84cc Edelbrock Performer RPM Cylinder Heads (home porting) [Steward Performance 3/8" .145 Wall Pushrods, Crane Ductile Iron Adj. Rockers]

727 trans. Reverse manual valve body. FTI 9.5" converter (stalls @ 4,000 RPM). 3.55 gears w/ Dr. Diff limited slip & Axles.

That sounds like a stout build!
Did you dyno test it?

Unless it's just of no interest to you, and I understand if it is, have you considered a turbo? I can tell you a low deck in a '67 fits fine, cheap log manifolds work great, and it all fits in without cutting. I skipped the stroker part, my 400 runs a stock 383 crank. It's barely broken in, but I got to put a few hundred miles on it this summer. The power and torque the turbo produces has to be felt to be believed, and I'm running really low boost until I get it sorted out. You can make 7-800 HP with no trick parts and a much milder cam/head combo than a similar N/A combo. Just a suggestion.

Looks like a very stout combo. The EDE heads are really 84cc's (at least mine were), so the CR should be accurate. My bet is that combo would like a 2" header, but... The cam looks like an excellent choice. AndyF's book is really great, wish I bought it 8 or 10 years ago. Good luck

Last edited:
Unless it's just of no interest to you, and I understand if it is, have you considered a turbo? I can tell you a low deck in a '67 fits fine, cheap log manifolds work great, and it all fits in without cutting. I skipped the stroker part, my 400 runs a stock 383 crank. It's barely broken in, but I got to put a few hundred miles on it this summer. The power and torque the turbo produces has to be felt to be believed, and I'm running really low boost until I get it sorted out. You can make 7-800 HP with no trick parts and a much milder cam/head combo than a similar N/A combo. Just a suggestion.
Could you post a picture and some more details of your setup?, i'm sure a lot of guys are thinking about doing something like this.

Could you post a picture and some more details of your setup?, i'm sure a lot of guys are thinking about doing something like this.

I'll try to figure out how to get pics from my phone here, it may be a day or two, and I don't want to step on the OP's original thread topic. You can PM me if you like, and I would be happy to send you whatever info you would like.

Nice job packaging that and AC to boot! What turbos are those?
Cheap 69m.m. ebay chinese."Hong Kong Hurricane" special. Kinda got shafted. Bought them when they were $249. Last I saw they were $169. E-heads, Icon 2618 pistons, Eagle rods,offset 440 crank, M1 w /Sniper inj

Cheap 69m.m. ebay chinese."Hong Kong Hurricane" special. Kinda got shafted. Bought them when they were $249. Last I saw they were $169. E-heads, Icon 2618 pistons, Eagle rods,offset 440 crank, M1 w /Sniper inj
Cool build. That’s gonna be a blast to drive.

I'll try to figure out how to get pics from my phone here, it may be a day or two, and I don't want to step on the OP's original thread topic. You can PM me if you like, and I would be happy to send you whatever info you would like.

No problem, post it!

Got one in a 73 duster. 440 Source rotating , TF 240s Weiand dual plane. 727 man VB Hughes shelf 2800 conv. 8 1/4 with 321s. Good running street/Strip. Needs more cam but dyno @ 550 square with torque real low. Buildind a 8 3/4 W 391s now. Will play with induction ect if they ever open a strip around here again. Might do a swap to my 68 R/R.
Which dual plane Weiand manifold?

Which dual plane Weiand manifold?
Let Me get a pic and #s for you. #8008 port matched to the TF 240s.

IMG_2141.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back