• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4spd compared to auto driving experience

66 Sat

Local time
5:16 PM
Reaction score
I've got a 727 in my Satellite. I've previously had an auto Barracuda, and an auto in a 351 Falcon (Australian model). I've never driven a 4spd in a muscle car, but all my everyday cars have been manuals as I generally hate autos (unless they are behind a big torquey V8).
My question is, how much better (or worse) is the driving experience of a 4spd compared to an auto? My car is only street driven and the auto is great for fast starts off the lights and for cruising, but I do miss the extra work of changing gears myself. The auto is also great for a quick drop down into 2nd to make a light before it changes, but then with the manual on a run through the gears you get to hear the revs rise to a peak 4 times compared to 3, and get to feel like Kowalski dropping down to 3rd to outrun the helicopter.
I'm thinking of doing a conversion with a kit from Brewers but I'd appreciate everyone's input first as it's a lot of money.

well I've got two of them, I recommend them . just more fun driving them than an auto ( nothing like going back to second and flooring it)

The first paragraph of your post answers it all. Automatics SUCK, period. For years I didnt think about the 727 in the charger, but 26 years later I'm driving a friend's 2017 Huyndai Elantra with the manual mode automatic and, well, I've realized that every automatic car I've ever owned has been one one of the biggest mistakes of my life. Yes, I said it, a manually shifted Hyundai Elantra can be more fun than a 440 powered 69 Charger with an automatic transmission.

It isnt about what sort of car it is, either. Muscle car, truck, honda civic or whatever; nothing is more fun or engaging than driving a car with a manual transmission. When you run an automatic you're just along for the ride. When you're shifting the gears yourself it's engaging entertainment, and you really do feel more connected to the machine. Go for the manual, dude...

All depends on how you want to drive the car. If you're wanting to eat a meat pie and sip on a trim soy latte while you drive....auto is the way to go. If you're into having some fun and slipping the clutch at 4,000 rpm while in second gear....go for a manual trans.

It's not difficult driving a big block & manual...takes a little practice, but really it's easy.

I am pleased my A100 has an auto trans - mainly because there is precious little room between the driver seat and steering column - not enough room for my legs to be thrashing around with a third pedal all day. Besides, the thing gets sideway easily now with the extra ponies.

:D

I am ADAMANT about my 3rd pedal, and even though I have been accosted by the "harbingers of DOOM" :luvplace:in regards to my future stroker motor, practically having been guaranteed by them that my "infinitely adjustable stall speed" transmission will scatter miscellaneous pieces of shrapnel from my fan to my Dana 60 differential the entire length of the 1320, I say "SAVE THE STICK"...:carrot:
:thumbsup:Shift on my brother!:bananadance:
Oh, and my wife loves her 3rd pedal too!
:monkeyleft:automatic slush boxes:hifu:

Yo Kiwi... I don't want to be judgmental or anything, but you're going to kill someone driving on the wrong side of the road like that!! :lol:

I like them both. If I'm taking a long drive to a show or a cruise I prefer an automatic. If its a shorter hop I'm fine with the manual. Really depends on how I'm feeling that day. Hate running into traffic when I'm shifting gears.

0814A8B0-8982-4208-AE5A-180BC129114E.jpeg
Three words: manual valve body.
Mike

What Mike said, and one of these

Driving my car with the auto isn't exactly a snooze fest. It's harder work by far than my 6spd manual WRX STI. I rarely use the kickdown, preferring to change down manually. I also shift manually through 1st and 2nd off the lights, to allow it to rev out. This is where I feel the auto has the most advantage, and that's one of my concerns with the 4 spd - are they still fast away from the traffic lights? I swear my Satellite is faster than the STI to 40 or 50 mph, and I wouldn't want to lose that. I have only 2 other concerns - the power steering is so light I'm worried I'd be all over the road while trying to change gear, and would I need to have the seat closer to be able to push the clutch in? Sounds stupid I know, but with autos I always have the seat a little further back and the Satellite already has that big old wheel sticking up in my face, even with the seat back a bit, so I wouldn't want to be any closer. Actually I think I need a test drive of something similar before I decide.

Muscle cars have 3 pedals!
My coronet was a column shift auto. It was like driving an old station wagon with a V8. Boring as it gets.
I put a shift kit in the 727, a good turbo action converter and some 3.73 gears in the car. At the same time I did a top end on the engine and a custom solid cam.

Still super boring to drive!

2 years ago, I swapped the 727 for an 18 spline 4 speed.
The car is a completely different animal.

When I was looking for my car 10 years ago, I was looking for a 4 speed. I looked at almost 30 cars. My coronet was so clean, that I convinced myself that an auto would be OK. It was not.

I guess like most other things, it's personal preference. Not to disparage the auto guys, but for me if it's a muscle car, it has to be a 4 speed. Going through the gears is just nostalgic and fun. When I was looking for my car, if it said auto, I just moved on to the next one.

Having been a fan of the old 727 push button auto I have in my Plymouth, since I rode with my older cousin in his new Sport Fury as a kid, if I didn't have the fun with this I'd have to have a 4-speed. I do miss my pistol grip '70 Cuda. A great feeling being 'one with the car' so to speak. That PB trans though was legendary for drag racing back in the day. Some pro's preferred them over the manual and when Chrysler ended the PB in '65 a few even had the PB's installed in their '65 race cars. I know some fellow members have this setup and they've posted some killer videos with their PB setups. So cool watching the typewriter drive in action.

I just love the feel of driving the machine, not the machine driving me... yes I. Love my flite and the nag in the SRT is quick but the feel of grabbing gears and the positive connection of mechanical gears and noises mean I’m in control even if I’m not as good as I used to be... lol

"He's starting to actually shift that car"...
That was a few years ago...when I first started power shifting...

Now in my Roadrunner and the GTO, I "no lift shift" every trip down the 1320..and still getting better.

I’ll be the first guy to admit that a big block stick car is the best way to go on the street for fun factor, but it’s the worst way to go fast on the track unless you have the right trans/clutch setup specifically for racing. Those are usually incredibly expensive and/or not street friendly. You have to pick where and how you want the performance and live with the results in the other arena.

My 4 spd cuda was fun for about 30 minutes. Clutch is harder to push than a modern car and like previously said, you can't hold a coffee and drive. I changed mine to auto and love it. I learned how to drive with a manual so that's not an issue. Short spirited drives are fun in a manual though.

I have both. Generally a manual is a lot more fun and preferred, but when I'm feeling old and cranky, sitting back and letting the car do the shifting in a nice luxury.

Auto Transport Service
Back