• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.7 hemi with factory dodge 5 speed?

pat1969charger

Local time
7:48 AM
Reaction score
I have a 5.7 hemi I picked up for my car to install when the body work is finished. I was wondering if anyone had ever looked into or actually used a dodge dakota 2wd 5speed for a 3.9 or a 318 behind a 5.7. I thought it may be a way to get 5 gears for a little highway economy and still avoid cutting the floor which I don't want to do since it is a brand new piece.

Last edited:
Would like to know this also. Following. Thanks!

While the Dakota never had a Hemi, you can use the trans from a Dakota as it has the small block bell housing bolt pattern, manual or auto!

While the Dakota never had a Hemi, you can use the trans from a Dakota as it has the small block bell housing bolt pattern, manual or auto!
Sooo that SB 4.7 tranny would bolt to a 5.7? Would it need any kind of flywheel adaptor? and is it smaller that it might clear for a B body tunnel? ? Very interesting!

Sooo that SB 4.7 tranny would bolt to a 5.7? Would it need any kind of flywheel adaptor? and is it smaller that it might clear for a B body tunnel? ? Very interesting!

Thats where it all stemmed from dreamcatcher, finding the easiest to use trans with at least a 3 speed O/D auto from early 90s dakota that should hopefully be small enough to clear the tunnel as it would be derived from the old small block 904/727, or a manual from same era dakota or even a 3.9/318 ram early 90s would work ok. Food for thought!

It would depend on the year of the Dakota.

I'm thinking 89-92 pre electronic controlled transmission if I were to decide to stay automatic. Obviously on a Manual that's not an issue anyway only have the VSS to contend with and reverse light switch which is easy,

Last edited:
I used the 2001 NV3500 from a v6 Dakota behind my 5.7....

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?57014-NV3500-In-B-Body

Any small block trans fits behind the hemi...but I wouldn't run the AX-15 out of an older dakota behind the hemi...not quite up to the task as well as the NV3500. Run a pre 2000 trans if you want to have the cable output for the speedo...not exact sure of the years for the cable output but I can tell you that on an 01 its not there...

I really like the trans so far (especially for the price). I would say that depending on your wants for driving 1st gear is relatively useless because its basically a granny gear. I am going to pop in a set of 3.23 or 3.55's later this year (I hope) and that will make that problem even worse..

For the price...no better swap and I didn't have to hack up anything either.

Thanks kb67mopar, I know the early dakota auto trans were not overly strong but that coild be helped with some better internals. I like the idea of the 5 speed I think it would have to be pre-1992 to get away from the vss and have a cable speedo. My only question is with the the manual does the shifter location line up for use of a console?

Thanks kb67mopar, I know the early dakota auto trans were not overly strong but that coild be helped with some better internals. I like the idea of the 5 speed I think it would have to be pre-1992 to get away from the vss and have a cable speedo. My only question is with the the manual does the shifter location line up for use of a console?

I'm pretty sure they kept the trans cable output location on the trans until 99 or 00. They ran a little box off of it to contol the speedo I think....but I would stay with the nv3500 over the ax15 for sure.

I would say maybe on the console. Take a look at my pics and compare to the console location.

- - - Updated - - -

Almost forgot. ...my 93 dakota still had a cable drive....I think they made them electronic in 96.

That makes sense, a lot changed in 96 when they went to OBD 2 the vehicle speed was now factored into the equation. I had a 91 and 92 318 4wd ten years ago and a 98 4wd 3.9 I sold year and a half ago but I don't remember the exact setup. All were auto as well.

cut the floor and put a real trans in it, i just used a 2009 6 speed challenger trans. love it, running 3.91 for my "**** en get" gears and have 2 overdrives for cruisin

cut the floor and put a real trans in it, i just used a 2009 6 speed challenger trans. love it, running 3.91 for my "**** en get" gears and have 2 overdrives for cruisin

I think the problem for us doing this is budget....I'd have a six speed if I could afford one.

Exactly kb67mopar, I am going to spend a lot of $$ on this resto and not that I want to cheap out its that I want an affordable alternative that will save me from cutting floor and still perform well behind the hemi. This will be a driver car but I do not plan to race it (unless the opertunity arises to blow the smile off some import drivers face). Occasionally jump a cop car or a ravine maybe haha!

Auto Transport Service
Back