• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62-63 MaxWedge

MIKESPOLARA

Local time
9:52 AM
Reaction score
Were 62 413 and 63 426 11-1 max wedge same other then the additional 13"? Or at least very similar. Just curious

Improvements all three years, and disproportionate numbers of parts as time went on, perhaps because of the expectation of the Hemi. Don't know the numbers, but my experience there are more 1st year 286 heads than the latter two years combined, and way more than the number of 413 cars produced. But that probably has more to do with the 286 heads being sold in significant numbers over the counter at dealers for years.

Not an expert, but like the subject. I would think there was quite a few very small differences. Would have to see the factory spec sheets which are pretty neat. There's a max wedge info site too

Some changes in oil pickup tube for 1963 for better oiling. Valve stem seals added to fight oil consumption issues that '62 413's suffered from. Later in '63 model year, Stage II was introduced with bigger carbs and different intake to accommodate them. Cam specs changed to longer duration on exhaust and higher lift. This from Jim Schild's excellent Maximum Performance book.

I'm referring to early 63
Some changes in oil pickup tube for 1963 for better oiling. Valve stem seals added to fight oil consumption issues that '62 413's suffered from. Later in '63 model year, Stage II was introduced with bigger carbs and different intake to accommodate them. Cam specs changed to longer duration on exhaust and higher lift. This from Jim Schild's excellent Maximum Performance book.
. I realize there are always minor tuning, cam changes but it seems they are pretty darn close to the same as far as big things.

Check out racehemimaxwedge.com. lots of great info from Greg Lane.
Agree with Outsider. I have two sets of ported max heads, both 286. Some substantial changes in the crossram intakes, but the same casting numbers on all of them.

i heard that the Hot set up from back in the day goes like this,,use stage 2 heads with a stage 3 intake. because the stage 3 heads r just stage 2's with the machined changes cast in..and of course the xtra 2 bolts for the valve covers/rocker stands..

my stage 3 intake before painting,,,casting date 5/7/63.

IMG_1033.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back