• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'62 Savoy moving the differential?

66/440

Local time
1:20 AM
Reaction score
My '62 Savoy project is at the body shop. They are reworking the firewall and tunnel so I can use the late model K -frame with a crossram. After I left the shop I got to thinking about the placement of the differential in the wheel opening. Since the car is at the body shop and I cant get back there until late next week can anyone tell me if the differential is centered in the wheel well opening/ wheel tub? I want to be able to use the complete tub and am wondering if I need to have the rear wheel openings moved/shifted/lengthened?

My 62 savoy has the axle moved back an inch, to center it better in the wheelwell, and to give more tire clearance for tall tires. Using super stock springs and hangers, with custom bolt hole location.

20191125_130557.jpg 20191124_154613.jpg 20191124_164139.jpg

You don't need to do any body work there. If you wish to move the wheel within the wheel well it would be accomplished by moving it by changing the front spring hanger or changing springs ( front segment length)

The red car has what i believe is the stock location, very biased toward the front of the opening. I dont want mine there.
The stock eliminator car (i believe he is 2020 world champ with this car) looks a little biased to the front, but i will bet, large, that it is moved back. I dont think the 9x30 slicks will fit otherwise.
The green is a mosher max clone, and is definitely in the stock location.

20191025_133110.jpg 20190427_132047.jpg 20180908_103629.jpg
Edit: looking at the stock eliminator race car again, i think the leading edge of the opening has been moved forward.

The wheelwell openings on a 62 are absurdly long, 36 or 38 inches if memory serves. Im kinda surprised most 62s havent had the axle moved more to the middle of the opening. The 62 dodges are similar, but not as bad as the plymouths, imo.

THINK if you Dodge front spring hangers it will move rear differential back 1". Driveshaft length needs to be checked. Rear springs S/S changes things also.

B149.jpg
The firewall moves back like butter. A jack between the K frame and firewall. A 2x4 across the firewall. Moves quite a bit before minor kinking. Which you can see above the drain. all fixed in the bottom shot.
Doug E30.JPG

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back