• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

63 Fury Max Wedge ???????????????

68383GTS

Local time
3:31 AM
Reaction score
I found a 63 Fury hardtop Max Wedge car, besides the door jamb tag and fender tag where are other numbers on the car ? Are the numbers on the radiator support and trunk lip? Anything else I should look for to tell if its a real Max Wedge car? If this is a real car it is 1 of 2 built.The Guy selling the car does not know what it is.I looked up the door jamb vin and it is a 426 Max wedge car..Now has a 440.

Thanks,Jim

There are other ways to tell besides the numbers.Their are numbers on the rad support.I don't think they match the vin.But if you have checked the vin out and it is a maxie.Can you post a picture of the engine compartment firewall also of under the hood braces

I do not have pics but is the firewall and underhood braces different from a standard Fury?

yes locate picture of a max wedge and you will see the different

I found a 63 Fury hardtop Max Wedge car, besides the door jamb tag and fender tag where are other numbers on the car ? Are the numbers on the radiator support and trunk lip? Anything else I should look for to tell if its a real Max Wedge car? If this is a real car it is 1 of 2 built.The Guy selling the car does not know what it is.I looked up the door jamb vin and it is a 426 Max wedge car..Now has a 440.

Thanks,Jim

Sounds Good, check it out thoroughly. Best of Luck to you on this find !

The vin starts with 3331... I have not seen the fender tag but it should have a 519 or a 509 code sales code ,so I believe under "A" it should have a "9",But i am not sure ....
What should a 426 wedge have on the fender tag?

Thanks,Jim

The vin starts with 3331... I have not seen the fender tag but it should have a 519 or a 509 code sales code ,so I believe under "A" it should have a "9",But i am not sure ....
What should a 426 wedge have on the fender tag?

Thge VIN only tells you the car got a V8 (First 3), the model (Second 3 = Fury) the model year (Third 3) and the plant (1). It does not tell you which specific V8 the car came with. You have to look at the tag or broadcast sheet for that. A 63 Plymouth Max Wedge car should have a 9 under the A on the tag.

The Maxwedge site may help as well as the Davis books.

http://maxwedge.com/

It should have a choke cable in the dash. It also has a bracket underneath to keep the E brake cable away from the exhaust

The last "1" in the vin is Lynch Rd cars and it looks like the only 63 Furys built at Lynch Rd were 426 cars.Thisis the take I have from Galen Goviers little white book 1961-1965 third edition 1999

The last "1" in the vin is Lynch Rd cars and it looks like the only 63 Furys built at Lynch Rd were 426 cars.This is the take I have from Galen Goviers little white book 1961-1965 third edition 1999

I think you are misreading that....Max wedge Plymouths were built at Lynch Road but that doesn't mean they were the only ones built there. LR built numerous Plymouths B body models and engine combinations.

Her e is what Goviers book reads.... Vin # Year Model Body Style STD CID Amount
3331> 1963 Fury 2dr hardtop 426-8 MP 2
3331> 1963 Fury 4dr sedan 426-8 MP 1

I know Lynch rd built numerous other cars.I am thinking the 63 Fury Max Wedge cars were only built at Lynch rd...

I meant maybe all the other 63 Furys were built at the other factories.And the 426 Furys were built at Lynch rd.but I am not sure..I guess I need to go look at the car and the fender tag.

Well, I see I'm just in time here...

The next step would be to confirm the body numbers on the rad support and the package tray match the last digits of the SO on the fender tag.

The fender tag will have either 08, or 09 under the AB depending on the compression of the engine. Dodge is under the QR.

Good Luck!

Speaking of max wedge, I just found out that a friend of mine has a '62 or '63 Max Wedge block that he's wanting to get rid of. Two years ago I tried to get him to sell it to me but he wouldn't budge on it as he was keeping it as a spare for his 'cuda.

I called him up last night just to chat and learned that he's cleaning out his garage and is selling some stuff. He happened to mention that he's selling an engine block and low and behold it's the 426 max wedge block. He had forgotten that I had been after him to buy the block and agreed to let me have it for .........$100.

It's just the block and I don't know what I'm going to put the engine in once I build it but I have enough sense to know that a 426 max wedge is classic Mopar and is about as rare a big block 426 hemi. With a cross ram intake I think that it would look cool in a '69 road runner or 'cuda.

Lucky me.

Speaking of max wedge, I just found out that a friend of mine has a '62 or '63 Max Wedge block that he's wanting to get rid of. Two years ago I tried to get him to sell it to me but he wouldn't budge on it as he was keeping it as a spare for his 'cuda.

I called him up last night just to chat and learned that he's cleaning out his garage and is selling some stuff. He happened to mention that he's selling an engine block and low and behold it's the 426 max wedge block. He had forgotten that I had been after him to buy the block and agreed to let me have it for .........$100.

It's just the block and I don't know what I'm going to put the engine in once I build it but I have enough sense to know that a 426 max wedge is classic Mopar and is about as rare a big block 426 hemi. With a cross ram intake I think that it would look cool in a '69 road runner or 'cuda.

Lucky me.

The casting numbers were the same in 64 for street wedge and Maxie blocks. The bores have a distinctive factory-machined notch on the Maxie blocks. I guess a block for $100 is a good deal however you look at it.

Good score!

The casting numbers were the same in 64 for street wedge and Maxie blocks. The bores have a distinctive factory-machined notch on the Maxie blocks. I guess a block for $100 is a good deal however you look at it.

Good score!

Thanks for the info on the casting numbers as I'm not as familiar with the max and street wedges as I am on the other Mopar Blocks. Once I get tit I'll check the casting numbers to see exactly what I have. I sse that max wedges were the big dogs on the block before the Hemi was introduced.

I know that It'll cost a lot more money to build a Max wedge than a 440 but the look of a true max wedge is priceless. Looking at the performance numbers back in the day, Max Wedge powered cars were said to run the 1/4 mile in 12 seconds. That was pretty impressive even by todays standards.

Thanks for the info on the casting numbers as I'm not as familiar with the max and street wedges as I am on the other Mopar Blocks. Once I get tit I'll check the casting numbers to see exactly what I have. I sse that max wedges were the big dogs on the block before the Hemi was introduced.

I know that It'll cost a lot more money to build a Max wedge than a 440 but the look of a true max wedge is priceless. Looking at the performance numbers back in the day, Max Wedge powered cars were said to run the 1/4 mile in 12 seconds. That was pretty impressive even by todays standards.

Also take note of the stampings on the pad. If it shakes out to be a real Maxie block you'd be better off using a 440 block instead and selling the Maxie block.

Auto Transport Service
Back