• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'64 Fury Pro-Touring

This video shows a comparison of how poorly the welder is working when I try and use the settings recommended by Lincoln; it acts as if the wire is simply bouncing off the sheet as opposed to melting into it. Like I say at the end, I'm TOTALLY lost at this point.
[video=youtube_share;ov_RVYnq_cY]http://youtu.be/ov_RVYnq_cY[/video]​

So many of you have been willing to offer your advice, and I want to thank you for all that help, but hopefully what I've posted today will allow one/all of you to zero in on exactly WTF I am doing wrong.

Thanks much!

- - - Updated - - -

That tip looks way to far inside of that nozzle, mine is only about an 1/8"-1/4" behind the nozzle.

Hey 747, the beads you see on the cowl (as opposed to the practice 16 gauge) were all done with a MUCH shorter nozzle, in fact, it has the tip placed between the 1/8" - 1/4" you recommend. I literally JUST picked up a new, full-length nozzle today in an effort to better shield the weld in case the shorter nozzle wasn't doing a sufficient job. Short nozzle, long nozzle, I'm still stumped.

This is really odd . . . I'm new to welding too, so I'm following to learn from it too.

I've gone back and looked at the whole thread, and your welds were great before - which leads me to this thought - do you have another welder ( friend's welder ) that you could borrow and try to lay some beads ? What's the outside chance that something internally went wrong with your welder and it's not your welding skills at all ?

It's worth a shot to try another welder and see how your weld go with it ? ? Just a thought.

Sure hope you get it figured out so you can move forward on your project ! !

Can't wait to see where you're going with this thing ! !

Hey Conv67,

You know those pristine looking welds you saw earlier in the post, they were done on a different welder (another Lincoln) by my friend Jimmy, who is truly one of the best welders and fabricators I know, and yes, I have used that particular MIG and had much better luck. I only began using my current Lincoln when I moved to Vegas and away from Jimmy's shop, but rather than instantly blame the machine I thought I'd ask for help here locally (from an experienced welder) so they might be able to pinpoint whether it's me, the machine, or a combination of both.

Stay tuned, the guys on here have been great with their advice so hopefully something will pop soon.

This is really odd . . . I'm new to welding too, so I'm following to learn from it too.

I've gone back and looked at the whole thread, and your welds were great before - which leads me to this thought - do you have another welder ( friend's welder ) that you could borrow and try to lay some beads ? What's the outside chance that something internally went wrong with your welder and it's not your welding skills at all ?

It's worth a shot to try another welder and see how your weld go with it ? ? Just a thought.

Sure hope you get it figured out so you can move forward on your project ! !

Can't wait to see where you're going with this thing ! !

Lengthen the tip or cut back the nozzle. Assuming you have correct voltage to machine.

Lengthen the tip or cut back the nozzle. Assuming you have correct voltage to machine.

Hey there 500, the bead samples shown on the old cowl were all done with a MUCH shorter nozzle where the tip was within 1/8 - 1/4" of the nozzle end. I tried that "fix" for quite a while but with little or no success.

Thanks much,

Bob

Can you post some info on your power situation? Wire size, wire length and the breaker spec's? This will help determine if your problem starts here. I will also when we et together check your power and make sure you are getting the proper volts and amps to and from. like I said in the PM I will contact you around noonish to make arrangements to come and see if we can figure this out. I am also excited to see this build in person.

Can you post some info on your power situation? Wire size, wire length and the breaker spec's? This will help determine if your problem starts here. I will also when we et together check your power and make sure you are getting the proper volts and amps to and from. like I said in the PM I will contact you around noonish to make arrangements to come and see if we can figure this out. I am also excited to see this build in person.

Cool CarnalSuppy . . . the reinforcements are on the way ! ! !

MAN this is the best Group on the Internet ! ! !

Way to go 68GTX440 ! ! !

Last edited:
I looked at my setup last night, tip is even with nozzle, .032 wire and I have the gas set at 15. Glad to hear you've got some help on the way, good luck.

Love it, definitely wont have any weak areas in your frame.

Hi
Looks to me like a BAD ground and or Bad Internal guide inside your Gun and hose assembly explains wire starting and stopping also I bet your wire is OLD has corrosion on the Wire itself try a new spool of wire.
I probably have an extra small .030 I will never use in sealed bag you could have to try it out.

I use 80-20 mix or 85-15 for my Migs and a diffrent mix for my Tig welder.
I have .023 .030 .035 wire for my Migs I like .030 for sheet metal don't like the .023 on sheet-metal my welding skills arnt that great.

I'm out in Pahrump about 60 miles North of Vegas an hour drive from you.
I need to make a Trip over over the Hump to Vegas Machine later this week, If ya still need a hand or another Idea to try or just meet some one else from the board give me a Holler some time. Or load the welder up and Bring it out here Im sure we could figure it out.

I look forward to hearing from you.

I had a 100 amp sub-panel installed in my work area so the overall power needs in my shop appear to be well met, and although I cannot give you the exact wire sizes etc, I have every confidence the materials used were well above minimums. I say that because my friend Mike is a journeyman electrician and we went over every aspect prior to our installing the electrical system and chose materials well suited to my needs. If there is anything sub-par (it's certainly possible) it would surprise me to no end.

When I'm welding it does not feel or appear the welder actually turns off and stops feeding wire, only that it loses continuity to the weld itself. I know very little about electricity but have wondered if there is some type of power/continuity issue somewhere in the welder.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Belve, I could not agree more!

Cool CarnalSuppy . . . the reinforcements are on the way ! ! !

MAN this is the best Group on the Internet ! ! !

Way to go 68GTX440 ! ! !

You might want to haul your welder in to a local Lincoln dealer and have one of their guys try it. I've always had good luck taking my problems right to the source and they always seem to get a lot of satisfaction in getting you squared away. Great post BTW.

You know KDT, I've been wondering the same thing, but my lack of electrical knowledge (it befuddles me) doesn't allow me a way to test the power in versus the power out of the cord or the welder itself. No matter what though, I will definitely remove my extension cord and plug the welder directly into an outlet and see what results.

Thanks for the input!

Had mine do that, turned out to be the extension cord I was using.

You know KDT, I've been wondering the same thing, but my lack of electrical knowledge (it befuddles me) doesn't allow me a way to test the power in versus the power out of the cord or the welder itself. No matter what though, I will definitely remove my extension cord and plug the welder directly into an outlet and see what results.

Thanks for the input!

If that does not help - try an outlet as close to the panel box as possible - that's another option to eliminate other obstacles.

The longer the travel of electricity through wires, the more potential "loss" could result - making it as short as possible could help.

Anxiously awaiting the finding of the "culprit" ! ! !

Hey DoRight,

Both ends of the ground cable have new connectors.

I have suspected a gun issue but until I eliminate ME as the problem I don't want to spend the money.

I have doubts about the corrosion because the problem persists regardless of which spool I use (.023, .030, .035), and unless the corrosion is invisible to the naked eye I can't see any.

Please, by all means, if you're coming over the hump I would love to have a try using your wire as well as have you give my Lincoln a try, so definitely give me a shout before you head over. My shop is just off the east end of the McCarren runways so I'm pretty centrally located. PM me for my number.

Thanks again

Hi
Looks to me like a BAD ground and or Bad Internal guide inside your Gun and hose assembly explains wire starting and stopping also I bet your wire is OLD has corrosion on the Wire itself try a new spool of wire.
I probably have an extra small .030 I will never use in sealed bag you could have to try it out.

I use 80-20 mix or 85-15 for my Migs and a diffrent mix for my Tig welder.
I have .023 .030 .035 wire for my Migs I like .030 for sheet metal don't like the .023 on sheet-metal my welding skills arnt that great.

I'm out in Pahrump about 60 miles North of Vegas an hour drive from you.
I need to make a Trip over over the Hump to Vegas Machine later this week, If ya still need a hand or another Idea to try or just meet some one else from the board give me a Holler some time. Or load the welder up and Bring it out here Im sure we could figure it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Dave,

That is definitely an option I'm considering, but only after we eliminate the "ME" factor as the problem; at 51 maybe I've lost whatever limited ability I had so that possibility needs to be dealt with before bringing it in for service.

My hope is one of the members who've offered to help will try the welder and have the same problem(s), thus vindicating me and my iffy talent!

You might want to haul your welder in to a local Lincoln dealer and have one of their guys try it. I've always had good luck taking my problems right to the source and they always seem to get a lot of satisfaction in getting you squared away. Great post BTW.

Love this thread! I hope you get to the bottom of the problem welds and back to fabbing. Great job so far!

Is there any chance the connection for the ground clamp inside the welder is loose? Had to have a neighbor come over to get my welder set right so hopefully one of these great members can help you out as well. The video makes it sound like you're using flux-core wire with too low heat setting. (not saying you are)

That is definitely an option I'm considering, but only after we eliminate the "ME" factor as the problem; at 51 maybe I've lost whatever limited ability I had so that possibility needs to be dealt with before bringing it in for service.

My hope is one of the members who've offered to help will try the welder and have the same problem(s), thus vindicating me and my iffy talent!

Don't sell yourself short CarnalSupply . . . the fact that you can see and tell us it's not right proves you know your stuff.

So . . . "blame" it on the welder and go get it checked out ! ! !

( SMILE )

I want to begin this reply with my most sincere thanks to everyone who took the time to reply; regardless of whether the advice worked or not the fact you took the time to answer my call for help is appreciated more than you know.

The problem, which turns out has been in place for years, was my 25' 8-dauge extension cord. Yep, it turns out there was a 6 amp drop from the outlet end to the welder end when the welder was set on it 's second lowest setting, so imagine what kind of loss there would be on a higher setting. As soon as I removed the extension, which I have ALWAYS used, the wonderful sound of sizzling was heard and consistent, penetrating beads resulted.

I shot a video, which I'll post tomorrow, but the improvement compared to my earlier videos is unmistakeable.

In particular I want to throw a special shout out to 68GTX440, who not only got me thinking about issues/problems outside the welder itself, but came by my shop late this afternoon to lend his experience/knowledge of electrical systems.

Enough welding issues, now it's time to get back to building!

Thanks again everybody.

Auto Transport Service
Back