• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'65 Satellite 440 Swap Rookie Questions

Stick with the 65 cable shifted transmission. The input shaft isn't a big deal as Cope (who uses PTC converters) can, and has, made 19 spline converters. The rear pump is a cool feature as it allows you to push start the car similar in fashion to push starting a manual transmission. You may have to buy a few gaskets that are not included with the standard kits but they are available. Red clutches w/ Kolene steels is what I use for the street. TransGo2 shift kit is worth it and fairly easy to install.

You have tons of info at your fingertips here on FBBO. Lots of experienced guys here who can help you out. I know I've learned tons here on this site.
Also, I'm in your area and have a 65 belvedere with a 440 and a later 727 in it. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a pm!

Stick with the 65 cable shifted transmission. The input shaft isn't a big deal as Cope (who uses PTC converters) can, and has, made 19 spline converters. The rear pump is a cool feature as it allows you to push start the car similar in fashion to push starting a manual transmission. You may have to buy a few gaskets that are not included with the standard kits but they are available. Red clutches w/ Kolene steels is what I use for the street. TransGo2 shift kit is worth it and fairly easy to install.
Have you ever push started one that way? What’s the prosedure? Push while car is in neutral?

You have tons of info at your fingertips here on FBBO. Lots of experienced guys here who can help you out. I know I've learned tons here on this site.
Also, I'm in your area and have a 65 belvedere with a 440 and a later 727 in it. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a pm!
Hey thanks! Good to know I’m not alone I’m So Cal!

Have you ever push started one that way? What’s the prosedure? Push while car is in neutral?

Never had the opportunity to try. With the rear pump operated off the output shaft, ignition on, the trans is put in neutral and rolled fast enough to pressurize the system which engages the torque converter which then turns the engine over.

I have push started a number manual trans cars. Sure never considered that a big advantage for my '65 (although it was a drag car). Jumper cables, a good starter, or a tow strap seem like easier alternatives. Parts options on the '66 & later sure seem more important, IMHO.

Auto Transport Service
Back