• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 And Later K~Member & Trans In Early B~Body

moparcrazy

Local time
4:40 PM
Reaction score
starting this thread again based on the info that i just learned...I'm starting by say that a trans mount must be modified when using the latter K~member with the latter trans;

I just installed a RMS alterkation suspension in my 65 Satellite with motor mounts located in the latter B~Bodie location and also using the latter transmission

"not the bush button style"

the biggest issue is the "trans mount bolts" its about 3 inches further back then the stock location also the 65 trans has a wider bolt mounting base than the latter trans im in the processes of trying other cross members and mounts...A~Bodie / latter B~Bodies / and a truck style mount, but deep down i feel modifying the original cross member will be the easiest way and best way and ill keep you guys posted...

also running a Gear Vendor but the location of the mount is in the stock location any input would be helpful

[/SIZE][/B]
View attachment 254064
image.jpg

Have you tried Schumacher's trans mount for a 66-up trans in a 62-65 B body? I put a 70 727 in my 65 Belvedere and used a Schumacher mount. I know you're using a later K-member, but my engine mounts were notched and it puts the engine about 1.5 inches back. Just an idea. Good luck!

I used a generic S-10 Chevy trans mount the holes are nearly dead on for a Push button but are easy to modify. Stock cross member with a piece of 2"x 3" square tube welded to the front where the original mounting boss was cut off.
Doug

Attachments

• 339.jpg
    339.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 439
I used the stock mount, I cut off the end plate and re drilled the mounting hole on the cross member.Then re welded plates on the front and back to keep it in place.

any pics would be greatly appreciated !!

I used the stock mount, I cut off the end plate and re drilled the mounting hole on the cross member.Then re welded plates on the front and back to keep it in place.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think this would work unless it was modifyed...but i just mite give it a try !! thanks so much !!

This is from the Shumacher site: http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsYear/62.65bBody.html#head1

It looks like this should work but unfortunately it shows out of stock.View attachment 254066

- - - Updated - - -

i mite give it a try...thanks !!

Have you tried Schumacher's trans mount for a 66-up trans in a 62-65 B body? I put a 70 727 in my 65 Belvedere and used a Schumacher mount. I know you're using a later K-member, but my engine mounts were notched and it puts the engine about 1.5 inches back. Just an idea. Good luck!

I have the newer K frame in my 64. This is my crossmember that I modified to work with the stock stye mount.image.jpg

so this is what im up against...the bolt lines up with the side wall almost exactly, in the last pic you can see the impression from the bolt onto the cross-member.
in the second picture i pulled the studs out to install the cross-member plus i turned the cross-member 180 so that i could better see and understand whats going on

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

that looks great do you have any pics of the top !!

I have the newer K frame in my 64. This is my crossmember that I modified to work with the stock stye mount.View attachment 254491

I don't have the mount handy, sorry. The mount fits into the box'd area and the stud drops through. No other mods req'd on mine.image.jpgimage.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Ok gotcha, a pic of the top. image.jpg

The newer one. 1 stud.

Use the newer one, easy to find if you need to replace it.
Doug

So today i started looking at this cross member thing again and came to the conclusion that the cross member does not need to be modified...but by turning the "Original Trans Mount" 180 Degrees gets it really close... yes the 1965 cable style mount with the 2 bolt at the bottom !!

But i do need to modified it...and i would much rather mess with that then the cross member for what ever reason i just feel better about it..have not done it yet but when i do ill post pics

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Just elongate those holes a bit and your golden!

Almost...i think i need to weld on about an inch to the back of that mount then drill the new holes.. it's hard to see by the angel of that picture...but i also want to say that you gave me the idea of turning the mount around, another member was do something similar and you said to him to turn the mount 180 degrees and that stuck in my head knowing some day I'd be in that same Dilemma !!

"so Thank You 5.7 hemi !!"

Just elongate those holes a bit and your golden!

Here is mine. I have a 67 k frame in a 65image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

It's a stock 65 cross memeber gutted out and the new section was removed from a diplomat cross member. Uses spool mount

image.jpg

Okay boys using a later K-member with the latter trans just got a whole lot easier !! No need to modify the cross member...First take the original trans mount and turn it 180 Degrees-then just add 1-Inch to the original trans mount then simply redrill it to the latter trans bolt holes..." Yup !! That's easy"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 332
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 328
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 338
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 317
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 315
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 318
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 342
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
moparcrazy, do you know what exhaust you are going to run and could you keep us updated on how it fits with the Gear Vendors overdrive. Thanks, Al

moparcrazy, do you know what exhaust you are going to run and could you keep us updated on how it fits with the Gear Vendors overdrive. Thanks, Al

Hello aldal my plan is to use TTI 2" Headers then 3' exhaust with X~pipe not sure if I'm going all the way out to the back or drop it before the axle...but i will definitely Keep you guys posted !!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back