• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 hemi starter wire harness

Dean Prevolos

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:22 AM
Reaction score
I'm trying to install my starter wiring harness today and I'm finding it difficult to connect the wires to the starter by going around the exhaust manifold from the bottom. So my question is how do I placed the wires in such a way that they can be connected to the starter. Do they go through the manifold? Anyone have any pictures you could send to me. That would be helpful.Also I need to know where the battery cable wire clamp should be fastened to?

26410618-8823-44E0-A20A-FFBEF4AD82D3.jpeg 288A0DE2-0638-41FD-9C32-4F4E5C905A5A.jpeg

Last edited:
66 has a hook on back of cylinder head. Goes around the back of exhaust manifold.

Around the back of the manifold per Bold &Old’s photo. A clip on the back of the head keeps it from sagging down onto the exhaust manifold.

Cable routes like so, auto shown.
I believe the 69 and older 4 spd cars the cable routes UNDER the starter

bat-cable-bracket.jpg

That clip looks like the one on fender panel near rear adjustment cam. The hook on back of head, your hook maybe the short one, there are two. Hard to see but bolt on back cylinder head orange line to battery cable. Beat me, rats. This is a 71 hemi.
hook.JPG

Don't know if you can put bolt in head without moving forward some in the car? I quit quick on mine.

That clip looks like the one on fender panel near rear adjustment cam. The hook on back of head, your hook maybe the short one, there are two. Hard to see but bolt on back cylinder head orange line to battery cable. Beat me, rats. This is a 71 hemi.View attachment 1197026

Even with the exhaust manifold off so you can get to the starter easier.

it is still difficult because of the "special" outside starter "bolt" and a special dust plate between the starter and bell-housing to keeping dirt out.

This is with the engine in a cradle I made in the pictures and not in the car.

I also covered the "starter and cable" with a aluminum heat resistance rap when the starter has been bolted in place. The exhaust manifold is so close has searing heat that I believe shortens the life of the starter.
288A0DE2-0638-41FD-9C32-4F4E5C905A5A.jpeg
hemi3.jpg

getting back to the bracket that also holds the wiring away from the manifold that mounts to the back of the head.

The other mounting clip on the wiring is to the firewall next to the starter relay.

I cant imagine doing it the car with manifold in place.

This is on my 67 R/T body and may not apply to a different models.

Last edited:
Very interesting, my engine doesn't have the "hook" to hold the starter wire loom but I guess I can make one. Installing it is another issue with the engine in the car.
That clip looks like the one on fender panel near rear adjustment cam. The hook on back of head, your hook maybe the short one, there are two. Hard to see but bolt on back cylinder head orange line to battery cable. Beat me, rats. This is a 71 hemi.View attachment 1197026

That's a good shot of the wire loom going to the starter and that is what I figured it would have to be, especially with the exhaust flange connecting to the exhaust manifold right there. A big thank you for taking that photo.

Even with the exhaust manifold off so you can get to the starter easier.

it is still difficult because of the "special" outside starter "bolt" and a special dust plate between the starter and bell-housing to keeping dirt out.

This is with the engine in a cradle I made in the pictures and not in the car.

I also covered the "starter and cable" with a aluminum heat resistance rap when the starter has been bolted in place. The exhaust manifold is so close has searing heat that I believe shortens the life of the starter.
View attachment 1197126 View attachment 1197127

getting back to the bracket that also holds the wiring away from the manifold that mounts to the back of the head.

The other mounting clip on the wiring is to the firewall next to the starter relay.

I cant imagine doing it the car with manifold in place.

This is on my 67 R/T body and may not apply to a different models.

Very interesting, my engine doesn't have the "hook" to hold the starter wire loom but I guess I can make one. Installing it is another issue with the engine in the car. I have already purchased the heat wrap to place around my starter for the same reason. I had missed out on buying a heat shield online for my year car so I bought the heat wrap probably will do a better job of keeping the wires from getting burnt even though my loom has the heat retardent cloth around the wires. Thanks for the detailed description, this helps me a lot.

Around the back of the manifold per Bold &Old’s photo. A clip on the back of the head keeps it from sagging down onto the exhaust manifold.

I will have to make a hook or find one to install on the back of the head. Thanks for that comment.

Cable routes like so, auto shown.
I believe the 69 and older 4 spd cars the cable routes UNDER the starter

View attachment 1197023

I looked at an old starter on Ebay and the solenoid is on the bottom. I wrote to the Seller and he said Yes, the wires attach to the bottom of the starter. See attached photos. The seller states: "Mopar 1966 - 1969 B Body 426 HEMI 4 speed Direct Drive Starter. This is for use with the factory 426 Hemi Bell Housing and 172 Tooth flywheel only", which is what I have.

I have a new starter for my car but the solenoid is on top, which is making this harder to do. But your photos are a big help in understanding how the wires are routed to the terminals. Thank you.

Hemi starter for 67 Charger with solenoid.jpg Hemi starter for 67 Charger.jpg

I will have to make a hook or find one to install on the back of the head. Thanks for that comment.

I actually made my own out of some 1/2” x 1/8” aluminum bar and coated it with plastic-cote. There are long and short clips for that location and I wasn’t sure which I needed so I decide to take a stab at it on my own. Seemed I made a pretty good guess and I probably need the long clip, which I’ll get around to buying one of these days.

Very interesting, my engine doesn't have the "hook" to hold the starter wire loom but I guess I can make one. Installing it is another issue with the engine in the car. I have already purchased the heat wrap to place around my starter for the same reason. I had missed out on buying a heat shield online for my year car so I bought the heat wrap probably will do a better job of keeping the wires from getting burnt even though my loom has the heat retardent cloth around the wires. Thanks for the detailed description, this helps me a lot.

originally the the starter heat shield from Mopar came out in 1971.. they must have realized the heat problem fact too.

I might have bought one to many wire hooks (like the picture) i can sell.. i will look and get back to you if you are interested.

All that I have said here may have a few flaws + or - in this thread....

I am in the middle of doing the same out of the engine cavity which is a lot easier.

3  21 20.jpg

I bought a new 67 wiring harness from Evans wiring and believe it be correct.

My car was originally a 440 and the starter relay( was) mounted on the back firewall.

The way my new harness was made suggests the relay is on the firewall.

The original 67 hemi car may have been placed on the inner fender as GTX6869 demonstraits.

Auto Transport Service
Back