• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger R/T

Hemi Rebel

Local time
7:32 PM
Reaction score
i finally took a couple of pics to start my build thread. This will not be for the faint of heart or the purists out there. It's an original 68 R/T, 440 automatic on the floor w/center console. medium green metallic vinyl roof stripe delete car. It will not be that when it's done.
I bought the car in 2000 when I was 25. It ran and drove but had some issues. So, with little sense and less money i decided to take the car apart to fix the problems. Fast forward to today, with a better skill set and a little bit more money, its finally time to get this thing done.. I did manage to aquire some parts. The plan is to go big. I have thus far a KB aluminum hemi block, Indy heads. 4.15 stoker kit with standard bore to make 472 inches. On top i have a BDS 8-71 blower. I have a mangnum force front coil over suspension kit with rack and pinion steering and will be back halving it as well.The body is really solid for what it is, only needing a little bit of work in the back usual spots and the front floors. The way I see it, I never plan on selling it. And I am not doing anything that cant be undone. Other build threads an here have proven that.
This will be a slow build for sure since my funds are still limited, but will always keep updating when I can. here are a few pics to start, not much done so far, trunk floor is cut out and the lower quarters are ground down to see what repairs have been made. New amd lower quarters, trunk extentions and rear cross member where just purchased at Carlisle. It's cool when you can save on shipping:sideways tongue: I will get some pics of the motor too. Its not assembled yet, but you will get the idea:headbang:

Attachments

• IMAG0087.jpg
    IMAG0087.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 771
  • IMAG0088.jpg
    IMAG0088.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 790
  • IMAG0089.jpg
    IMAG0089.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 803
  • IMAG0090.jpg
    IMAG0090.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 794
  • IMAG0091.jpg
    IMAG0091.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 791
  • IMAG0092.jpg
    IMAG0092.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 778
I had a '68 R/T for almost 2 years so I'll be watching this one. looks and sounds like a great project!

Hey neighbor, Looks like your car lives in a body shop, are you in that trade? Good luck with your project, I'll keep an eye out for it in the future.

Looks fun. Of all the chargers the 68 is my favorite. I just love those tail lights compared to the others lol. I hope some day to have a late 60's b-body. And I want to throw a viper v10 in it lol.

Hey neighbor, Looks like your car lives in a body shop, are you in that trade? Good luck with your project, I'll keep an eye out for it in the future.

No, I'm a mechanic( going on 20 years). currently work at chrysler dealer. The car is in a body shop. This is one area I feel better paying someone to take care of. I was fortunate to have a shop open up in the same building I keep my cars in. Tony's body, paint and more in Finksburg, MD. He has a pretty good portfolio of cars he has done in the past and I felt he was right to do the car. Plus we worked out a deal where I can work on the car there doing what I can as much as possible, like cutting stuff out and drilling spot welds out. Stuff like that keeps that keeps my costs lower. This way It won't cost me the whole arm and leg, maybe just a leg:icon_eyes:.
Plus he sometimes gets mechanical work in that I will knock out in exchange for work on my car. I'm all about the barter/trade for work thing.
You will get to see him in action. Along with pictures there may be a video or 2 of him working. I think he also realizes this is good for business. This thing ought to get a lot of attention when done, and people will want to know who did the work. For a guy who wants to expand you couldn't ask for a better rolling advertisement.
I also should mention that the plan is to keep the car green. I was thinking the original tt1 medium green metallic with maybe some pearl in it to spice it up a little, but just the other day at work a new challnger rolled in. Paint code PGE "green with envy" PERFECT!! What do you guys think? Going to keep the black vinyl top too so picture that color on a 68 charger with black top.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 712
good luck on the barter/trade deal.Nowadays we all have to to what we can to save as much as we can.And that green on the challenger is great,i've seen a couple pass me on the highway.

No, I'm a mechanic( going on 20 years). currently work at chrysler dealer. The car is in a body shop. This is one area I feel better paying someone to take care of. I was fortunate to have a shop open up in the same building I keep my cars in. Tony's body, paint and more in Finksburg, MD. He has a pretty good portfolio of cars he has done in the past and I felt he was right to do the car. Plus we worked out a deal where I can work on the car there doing what I can as much as possible, like cutting stuff out and drilling spot welds out. Stuff like that keeps that keeps my costs lower. This way It won't cost me the whole arm and leg, maybe just a leg:icon_eyes:.
Plus he sometimes gets mechanical work in that I will knock out in exchange for work on my car. I'm all about the barter/trade for work thing.
You will get to see him in action. Along with pictures there may be a video or 2 of him working. I think he also realizes this is good for business. This thing ought to get a lot of attention when done, and people will want to know who did the work. For a guy who wants to expand you couldn't ask for a better rolling advertisement.
I also should mention that the plan is to keep the car green. I was thinking the original tt1 medium green metallic with maybe some pearl in it to spice it up a little, but just the other day at work a new challnger rolled in. Paint code PGE "green with envy" PERFECT!! What do you guys think? Going to keep the black vinyl top too so picture that color on a 68 charger with black top.

That will be beautiful with that color! Looks like one of the candy colors and with a black top, i can picture it, i don't think you'll be sorry using that shade! Good luck with this..

68 Charger will be the next car on my list if I ever get the project done I started. Looks good to me. We have been where you are right now. Good luck.

Lookin good! looks like you have a better start than I had. Lots of work, patience, and money will make your dreams come true. Good luck and keep the pics and updates comming.

Lookin good! looks like you have a better start than I had. Lots of work, patience, and money will make your dreams come true. Good luck and keep the pics and updates comming.

Yeah, for the most part its a really solid car. Almost to the point of actually seriously considering offering to trade it for a non r/t 68 in similar condition because its almost criminal to do to it what i am doing. I thought about it for a while too. But, i have had it too long and i purchased it from a friend who only sold it to me because he felt he would still be close to it even if he didnt own it. So, like i said in a previous post, i am not doing anything that cant be undone. It would take a lot of time and money to undo it, but it can be done.

there was a little bit done this week. I knew there was going to be an issue with the drivers door. Body lines never did line up quite right and the left inner fender splash shield was bent up. At some point the car had a fender bender on the left side. Some time ago i got a used door off a 69 charger and it was deemed necessary to use that one. It has been worked itself, but its rust free and fits better than the original so we are going with that one. I also got a shot of the drivers floor where a homegrown patch was installed by a previous owner.

Attachments

• IMAG0097.jpg
    IMAG0097.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 605
  • IMAG0098.jpg
    IMAG0098.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 638
  • IMAG0096.jpg
    IMAG0096.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 631
  • IMAG0095.jpg
    IMAG0095.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 623
68 charger

VERY NICE CAR! LOOKING FORWARD TO RESTORING A 68 MYSELF.
Hard to find a nice foundation such as yours up here in the rust belt of MN.
I had a 68 R/T console auto car back in the day that went a hell of a lot faster than she could stop!! Gone now, but the memories remain!:headbang:

There has been a little progress. The roof is ready for primer as is the left front fender. The drivers door is proving to be a PITA. The original door has some rust issues and did not fit right. It had some damage at some point to the left side and the door was re skinned. Some time ago I brought a used door. Can't remeber what company, but it was a yard out of Texas. It fits a lot better, but when he got into it, it was evident it had been whacked itself and had repairs.It has a ton of holes that look like it was used for target practice with a .22. Its rust free and could be fixed, but there would be a bit more mud in it than the car deserves so the decision was made to get a new door from AMD. What the hell, its only money right? Besides, it would kill me to know that MY door. The one MY arm will be hanging out of is a train wreck under the paint. Lets just hope the passenger door is ok.If its not then:puke:

I just got the left side quarter patch panel and trunk extension ordered yesterday so I will save up some more and get the door. Haven't even thought about the floors yet. Its gonna need them too. Gettin' her done though, a little at a time. slow and steady.

Attachments

• IMAG0168.jpg
    IMAG0168.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 523
  • IMAG0167.jpg
    IMAG0167.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 512
  • IMAG0166.jpg
    IMAG0166.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 510
  • IMAG0165.jpg
    IMAG0165.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 525
  • IMAG0164.jpg
    IMAG0164.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 536
  • IMAG0163.jpg
    IMAG0163.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 498
  • IMAG0162.jpg
    IMAG0162.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 497
Nice project, and yes the purists are definitely going to **** their drawers seeing you cut up a 68 R/T.
I say who gives a flying FK it's your car so have at her.

Auto Transport Service
Back