• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 GTX Project

still working on the dash...

Trying to figure out what I am missing the ash tray....is there a padded cover for the outside insert piece thingy?

Need to go ash tray part shopping...View attachment 686724 View attachment 686725 View attachment 686726
On my car, 68 Charger, that metal face plate is flush with the dash pads and does not have a pad over the top. The GTX is probably different. I don't know which one you may have.
Your doing a great job. Keep up the good work.
image2 (2).JPG

Last edited:
One more topic....instrument cluster rebuilders? What are my options?

I did my own.
Started with this:
Old gauges.JPG
Old speedo.JPG
Old dash bezel.JPG

Purchased paint for the needles, chrome switches and faces for the gauges. Also installed quartz movement in the clock.
When done:
New gauges.JPG

New speedo.JPG

Dash Left side.JPG

Very time consuming and tedious work but all I had to buy was the materials.

If you have the time and patience, you can do them yourself. Not really hat hard. I did mine. Detailed in my thread, https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/69-gtx.51515/
pages 84-86ish

I did review your thread before I started into mine. Nice work! What did you use for paint on the dash? In particular the upper part of the dash that I thought as a standard was "suede black" something or another.

I plan on doing most of the work my, I do have the tools capability, but was thinking on farming out the instrument cluster to keep things moving ahead faster.

I plan on doing most of the work my, I do have the tools capability, but was thinking on farming out the instrument cluster to keep things moving ahead faster.[/QUOTE]

I had a guy called lilwendal do them. He has a thread on the dodge charger.com forum that shows how he does them and the process at http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=37999.0. I feel that he did a good job and the price was reasonable. I don't know if he is still doing them.

Rakort I bought special paint from Dave at instrument specialties IIRC. After doing it I think it could be done with a standard single stage paint with flattener & sprayed from a longer distance to give a dry finish. PM me if you want more info on that.

So update.....been working on the dash, switch panel, wiper m
IMG_20181130_195303436.jpg
IMG_20181227_165529436.jpg
IMG_20181227_170743067.jpg
IMG_20181228_174409097.jpg
IMG_20181228_170241064.jpg
otor, wiring, etc.

Getty ready to unwrap the 68 harness for my car. I already unwrapped the 69 harness and extracted all the wires I'm going to replace in the harness I'm restoring for the 68.

I plan on not running a high amp alternator, AC, or major power drawing accessories....so what is the wisdom regarding bypassing the amp meter and (hopefully) replacing it with a volt meter?

I do have a new bulkhead connector coming and will be replacing all the Packard 56 terminals in the bulkhead/firewall connectors.

Based on the above I'm considering leaving the amp meter alone and running it stock.

Thoughts?

Any links to someone that did the bypass and made a volt meter look and act like an OE piece?

thanks
Brian

IMG_20181230_193724196.jpg

Well here is what I am looking at! Gheesh...at least we got some snow yesterday.

upload_2019-1-28_21-7-24.png

So progress and near completion sans a few details to finish on dash wiring harness.....I converted it to a 4 speed harness by routing the backup light wires through the bulk head connector. Swapped a half dozen or so wires out of the donor harness, new firewall connector, several of the packard 56 wire terminals replaced, new dimmer switch and flashers

New engine harness purchased....heat took its toll on that one. Contemplating rebuilding the headlight and tail light harnesses as I have the supplies and two harnesses to work with, but we shall see.

IMG_20190122_214131146.jpg
IMG_20190125_232108204.jpg
IMG_20190126_190859520.jpg
IMG_20190126_190939293.jpg
IMG_20190126_233354474.jpg

Does anyone have an example of a 4-speed backup light harness that routes from the bulkhead connector across the bell housing and along the A833 to the BU light switch? I'm looking for an overall length? Also, does anyone sell a BU light switch pigtail?

thanks
Brian

Auto Transport Service
Back