• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 charger build with a donor of a 07 cop car charger hemi 5.7

rimspec

Local time
7:29 PM
Reaction score
HI I am starting a build with a 69 charger. I got a 2007 charger donor car with a 5.7 hemi. I will be posting progress of my build and any comments, help and suggestion would greatly help.

Here is the 69 charger begging for restoration at my shop.

1614446_10152434612814610_2287167030294933738_o.jpg

pics of when I picked it up a couple months ago form the tow truck. it in rough shape need new floor plans and so on. Ground up Build.

10246368_10152359908624610_995708725204081967_n.jpg

Here is the donor car a 2007 dodge challenger hemi 5.7 cop car. Kinda rough lol but the engine is good with no bullets holes.

1836600_10152431270014610_7271535789205310417_o.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I had my guys pull the engine out and get all the wiring and gas tanks, ecu and so on. I figure this will be like the 69 camaro rs build that I dropped a ls1 in and built from the ground up you can check out that build at http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219839 or just google rim spec 69 camaro. We do body work | paint and rim repair.

Here some pics took us about 6 hrs to pull the engine out and electronics

1795953_10152431533679610_9108719662463323870_o.jpg

Starting to pull out the harness and electrical
10258066_10152431770959610_8998227253187685026_o.jpg

This car had a roll cage so we had to take it out to get access to the wires.
10333561_10152431780639610_6447032829948281180_o.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

So now that the engine out and electrical I am researching on parts like a oils pan and motor mounts anyone have any preference or suggestion? I been looking at darius build and i am using that as a guide line.

- - - Updated - - -

I also heard that you can use Diablo Trinity to program your own ecu to bypass the security features and sensor that would stop it from working for the 69 charger?

Welcome from Maine! Great save!

To get the computer and trans to work call over to Hotwire Auto. They can have you ship them all the computers. I can do any custom programming you need once you get that back from them. It is a cool project. I will have to come see you guys sometime. Maybe we can swap labor, I have some wheels I could stand to have narrowed.

YES....check out the after market stand alone ecm and tcm if you are swapping the transmission also, or thinking of using the entire wire harness.from the donor. I have not read of anyone installing a NAG1 behind a gen3 Hemi yet and there are big problems with that if you don't move the tone rings and wheel sensors. Those pick ups CAN NOT BE BYPASSED with a Diablo or any other tuner and Chrysler wont help you for ****. Their programming is incompatible with any other programming. I got my GTX to haul *** right up to 3000 rpms and then it went to limp mode. The engine controller is looking for stuff that is not there. I have the TCM from LXMODGUY and we are going to go with a ECM from Modern muscle Performance. What sucks is we have to change wire harness and wire up different gauges now.
This is in process starting this coming week so I will post up what we learn.
I can say this, that combo will fry the tires right off the GTX all the way up to 3000 rpm and then fall on it's face, VERY FRUSTRATING!

Link http://www.modernmuscleperformance....versions-resto-mods/engine-management-systems

To Darius point, I would strongly suggest a stand alone ECM and TCM. In terms of the most cost effective way to do it, it is still to NOT use a NAG1. The best way to go is to run an adapter and a 4L80.

We have tried every way around it at this point, unless you are picking up driveshaft speed and front wheel speed it doesnt want to work in a complete transplant like Darius did.

If you use a holley dominator EFI and a 4L80 you can keep drive by wire, control the 4L80 completely, and have absolutely no need for speed sensors front or rear.

To Darius point, I would strongly suggest a stand alone ECM and TCM. In terms of the most cost effective way to do it, it is still to NOT use a NAG1. The best way to go is to run an adapter and a 4L80.

We have tried every way around it at this point, unless you are picking up driveshaft speed and front wheel speed it doesnt want to work in a complete transplant like Darius did.

If you use a holley dominator EFI and a 4L80 you can keep drive by wire, control the 4L80 completely, and have absolutely no need for speed sensors front or rear.

so what hotwires offers wont work for the nag1?

- - - Updated - - -

this my camaro build1480513_708793719159842_2667170676380222998_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

lxmodguy sure we can trade or swap services I am a body shop also if you need bodywork let me know. www.allstarautosalon.com

- - - Updated - - -

so i take it hotwire solution not going to work for the nag1?

- - - Updated - - -

YES....check out the after market stand alone ecm and tcm if you are swapping the transmission also, or thinking of using the entire wire harness.from the donor. I have not read of anyone installing a NAG1 behind a gen3 Hemi yet and there are big problems with that if you don't move the tone rings and wheel sensors. Those pick ups CAN NOT BE BYPASSED with a Diablo or any other tuner and Chrysler wont help you for ****. Their programming is incompatible with any other programming. I got my GTX to haul *** right up to 3000 rpms and then it went to limp mode. The engine controller is looking for stuff that is not there. I have the TCM from LXMODGUY and we are going to go with a ECM from Modern muscle Performance. What sucks is we have to change wire harness and wire up different gauges now.
This is in process starting this coming week so I will post up what we learn.
I can say this, that combo will fry the tires right off the GTX all the way up to 3000 rpm and then fall on it's face, VERY FRUSTRATING!

Link http://www.modernmuscleperformance....versions-resto-mods/engine-management-systems

sorry to hear that im am looking forward to see how it works out for u. so i take it the hotwire solution not gonna work?

I spoke with hot wire (Chris?) and layed out my whole build and he said they basically did not have a solution for my situation. It requires a complete reflash of the original ECM and Chrysler will not do it!

Ditto to what Darius said. I think we have his trans needs worked out, but an aftermarket ecm or a factory stand alone is a better bet than a donor setup. Chris at hotwire "said" they could make it work at one point, we have yet to see one work though

Ditto to what Darius said. I think we have his trans needs worked out, but an aftermarket ecm or a factory stand alone is a better bet than a donor setup. Chris at hotwire "said" they could make it work at one point, we have yet to see one work though

I talked to chris at hot wire a couple 2-3 days i think thursday or friday ago he said could do it with the hub sensors.

I have no experience with the NAG1 other then what others have said on here. But I can tell you if you want to do a manual trans the hotwire setup is easy. Plug in and go. Personally now that they sell plug and play kits for the G3 hemi for megasquirt...I'd probably run one of them. That way you could tune it yourself and make changes for things like Cam swaps, Stroker cranks...turbos.

My advise is to stay away from the factory esque options. I went with hotwire because of price was all I could do at the time. To do it again, I'd pick a more tunable option.

Personally...with regard to the transmission, if you don't have a man pedal...well whats the point!? T-56/TR6060 is my vote.

I have no experience with the NAG1 other then what others have said on here. But I can tell you if you want to do a manual trans the hotwire setup is easy. Plug in and go. Personally now that they sell plug and play kits for the G3 hemi for megasquirt...I'd probably run one of them. That way you could tune it yourself and make changes for things like Cam swaps, Stroker cranks...turbos.

My advise is to stay away from the factory esque options. I went with hotwire because of price was all I could do at the time. To do it again, I'd pick a more tunable option.

Personally...with regard to the transmission, if you don't have a man pedal...well whats the point!? T-56/TR6060 is my vote.

How much doe the transmission run usually?

How much doe the transmission run usually?

You'd have to do some research but the trans is around $1500 usually. Plus all the other parts like clutch flywheel and bellhousing if you didnt get it with the trans. It'd be a $2500 bill probably all said and done if I had to guess.

You'd have to do some research but the trans is around $1500 usually. Plus all the other parts like clutch flywheel and bellhousing if you didnt get it with the trans. It'd be a $2500 bill probably all said and done if I had to guess.

thanks for the info sir...

I just read an article in the Oct issue of Mopar Action about a 65 Dodge Coronet with a 5.7 /Nag1 out of a 2005 300. The article says this guy worked out a solution with Hot Wire???????? Don't know when exactly this build was completed OR what KEY bit of info the author conveniently left out of the article! All I know is I have been trying to solve this since February and the end result is two separate stand alone computers and I have had conversation with Chris at Hot Wire. The ECM is from an 05 RAM 1500. I also read a post somewhere the other day saying 05 is when Chrysler went from VSS to CANBUS programming. CANBUS is where you get screwed!

I just read an article in the Oct issue of Mopar Action about a 65 Dodge Coronet with a 5.7 /Nag1 out of a 2005 300. The article says this guy worked out a solution with Hot Wire???????? Don't know when exactly this build was completed OR what KEY bit of info the author conveniently left out of the article! All I know is I have been trying to solve this since February and the end result is two separate stand alone computers and I have had conversation with Chris at Hot Wire. The ECM is from an 05 RAM 1500. I also read a post somewhere the other day saying 05 is when Chrysler went from VSS to CANBUS programming. CANBUS is where you get screwed!

I was about to go dig around in my magazines because I knew I just read an article about this somewhere. I do know that I have e-mailed the E-berger guy from Mopar Action in the past and received a reply to my question. You might try that.

Auto Transport Service
Back