• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 RR rear wheel/tires, 275/60-15?

northerndave

Local time
4:10 AM
Reaction score
I'm very sorry to do this as I know it's a popular question.

But I'm seriously considering fitting my tin chicken with some new wheels and tires.

I run a set of nice but older keystone classics (14") that are wrapped in 245/60-14 rubber which is like new, very low miles. I don't recall the front size but I know I'm running sort of a bigs n littles combo.

I want to fill the back tubs a little better but it's all got to fit up inside the wheel house without rubbing. I love the look of the 295/50-15 I've seen on a few 68-69 plymouths. But it seems as though the 275/60-15 is more popular with this group, seems a little safer for the rubbing concerns and taller as well.

So then, the wheel...

15x8?
15x8.5?
15x9?
15x9.5?
15x10?

backspacing?

Any pics of your cars or details as to your wheel specs, tire specs would be very much appreciated.

I'm thinking I want to go aluminum to get the weight down.

Some possible wheels are:

ARE-T71R7761.jpg

505close.jpg

12760crs1.jpg

product_photo-large_image-345.jpg

and even this guy....

13501.JPG

Don't you just love making this decision Dave....Look at all the work we do and the critical decisions that need to be made on almost a minute by minute basis while restoring the car and then comes along the wheels.........Weeks!! Weeks of back and forth. Heck, the paint took me a 1/10th of the time to pick out vs. the wheels.

This tire calculator may help you figure out how much meat you want to put in the rear well's:

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp?err=98&rsn=usr-snt-emty-str

Here's a couple rim simulator's that may also help your quest:

http://www.mhtwheels.com/iconfigurator/?ky=hot502@mag$!yel

http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/wheel_visualizer.asp

Best of luck on your choice. I have a set of US Mags Standard U104 Chrome I bought off craigslist around christmas for the bird. Fronts are 15" x 7" - 3.5" Backspace, Rear is 15" x 9" with a 5" backspace. I'll be running the 275-60 in the rear with those.

Waiting to buy the 17" Coy's when I have enough dime to do so

I'm strongly considering some US mags old school slots in 15x9 with 5" backspace and the 275-60's for the back. (The picture right above your post)

Interesting and reasuring that you are looking at the same size.

Something about a nice shiny new set of slots to compliment the cream soda chicken... (brown with a white head :grin: )

cream-soda.jpg

propwash is correct in that tires and wheels do seem to be one of the hardest choices you have to make.i always recomend the percys automotive tool to check fitment since every car is a bit different.(sold by summit and jegs)looks all comes down to your likes.dont get swayed by others,run what YOU like.look at car shows and internet pictures of your type of car and what others have run.

Nothing wrong with slots and that old school look....Here's what skeletor looked like with old Crager slots when I picked her up:

"Cream soda chicken"...LOL

rr2.jpg

the chromed 104's you picked up are a very nice looking wheel too, I really like em.

104close.jpg

I see they sell them in 4.5" and 5" backspacing.

Do you think the 4.5" would result in some tire rub on the wheel opening lip?

Dave,

That's a question I asked myself as well. One thing I picked up on is the AMD quarters I installed have a little bit deeper lip into the wheelhouse than factory. 4.5" backspacing ( 0* offset) obviously pushes that rim 1/2" closer to the lip than a 5". From the threads I saved as favorites from FBBO, an 8 rim" with 4.5" backspacing will not rub according to a lot of folks on here. Do the math and it's 3.5" out toward that lip and 4.5" towards the center. So a 9" with 5" back has 1/2" more both ways. Regardless, the 275/60 fits.

Here's a couple saved threads I've held onto.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?t=7063

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?t=21404

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?t=22126

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?t=3074

Thanks Will, I'll check em out later. I have to get out to the garage and mix up some metal 2 metal.

I'm running 14x8 with a 2" backspacing and a 245/60-14 right now.

It works but barely, I've never had it rub with the old quarters on and I trimmed the new lips to be really close to what the originals where.

My 245's have about a 10" section width, or just shy of but I'm calling it 10.

so, my current 8" rim with 6" out and 2" in barely fits without rubbing the lip.

275 section width is 11"

soooo...

My current setup has the widest part of my outer sidewall at 7" (correction, 6.75" out, I checked with straight edge and a tape) out from my hub face and it works, but like I said, just barely.

275 on a 9" rim with 4.5" backspace would put the outer face of my sidewall at...

5.5" out from my hub face.

1.5" more lip clearance than I am currently running???

Tape measure in hand... heading back out to the garage lol!!

Last edited:
Alright, if i run 15x9 with 4.5 backspace and 275/60 tires i'll clear my leafs by an inch and i'll clear the lips by 1.25".

If i run 15x10 with 5" backspace and 295/50 tires i'll clear the leafs by 1/2" and i'll clear the lips by 7/8"

My hub face to body/leafs is perfectly matched side to side.

going off the cooper cobra specs I'd clear a 295/50 by 3/4" on the leaf side and 1" on the lip side if I mount on a 15x10 5" backspace.

Tempting.

All things considered, i fully understand the overall favoritism for the 275.

Dave, I agree with you that the 295's look great from behind, but if you are looking to fill the wheelwell from a side view 275/60/15's measure 28" compared to 26.5" for the 295's. Your 245/14's measure 25.6" for comparison. Tire - wheel combo's make or break a cars look in my opinion and caused me many sleepless nights. I sure do like the looks of those slots you are thinking of using.

I'm very sorry to do this as I know it's a popular question.

But I'm seriously considering fitting my tin chicken with some new wheels and tires

tin chicken?.come on dave!...I would rather "say" RoadRunner please.

I love that car...wish I had one in my....
trade my girlfrind for one!

Sonny

Hunt2elk, your 2 cars and your participation in various wheel/tire posts that I've researched have been very helpful to me and others. Thanks for actively participating in topics like this.

There are many others as well that have contributed and shared the results of their wheel/tire experiments.

My 14 inch 245's have got to go, they are about an inch and a half shorter overall than original. Since my old keystones are 5-4.5 or 5-4.75 (uni) I can toss them on a 66 chev caprice we have. I tried the rears on the old caprice over the weekend and they look great on that car. So I've got kind of a 2 birds with one stone thing going on here with my wheel/tire quest.

The ROADRUNNER (for sonny :grin: ), with the original root beer T7 bronze paint and white top could look very cool with a set of the US mags "indy" (slots).

It's a look that everybody will get, I for one can't help but smile at the thought of it because it really takes me back to my childhood when everything "cool" had slots or 5 spokes in the way of a craiger SS or keystone classic.

The retro look appeals to me, and I think the old slots are often overlooked in retro efforts.

I’ve told people for many years that you don’t need to spend $600 per wheel and $300 per tire to nail “the look”.

The truth is, you can spend all the money in the world and still phuck it up if you don’t get the presentation correct. Overall tire diameter, tread width, section width, wheel diameter and width, offset or backspacing…

Hunt2elk, your 2 cars and your participation in various wheel/tire posts that I've researched have been very helpful to me and others. Thanks for actively participating in topics like this.

There are many others as well that have contributed and shared the results of their wheel/tire experiments.

My 14 inch 245's have got to go, they are about an inch and a half shorter overall than original. Since my old keystones are 5-4.5 or 5-4.75 (uni) I can toss them on a 66 chev caprice we have. I tried the rears on the old caprice over the weekend and they look great on that car. So I've got kind of a 2 birds with one stone thing going on here with my wheel/tire quest.

The ROADRUNNER (for sonny :grin: ), with the original root beer T7 bronze paint and white top could look very cool with a set of the US mags "indy" (slots).

It's a look that everybody will get, I for one can't help but smile at the thought of it because it really takes me back to my childhood when everything "cool" had slots or 5 spokes in the way of a craiger SS or keystone classic.

The retro look appeals to me, and I think the old slots are often overlooked in retro efforts.

I’ve told people for many years that you don’t need to spend $600 per wheel and $300 per tire to nail “the look”.

The truth is, you can spend all the money in the world and still phuck it up if you don’t get the presentation correct. Overall tire diameter, tread width, section width, wheel diameter and width, offset or backspacing…
very well said!i too love the old school look,from steel too old slotted mags.i have a set of original usa slots(15x7 and 15x9)that have had time on at least 10 different cars.current ride(67 coronet)is getting custom steels,painted to match car(satin black)with bullet centers and no trim rings.

I bought a new project 69 Charger and will be going through color and wheel tire combos again, so I am very interested in what you choose. Mine was T3 and am thinking of going to T5 or the killer black. Oh - and you better spell Rosd Runner in 2 words to be correct for Sonny.

:grin:

Ok, Road Runner.

If my car had the engine missing, or trans previously swapped or a number of common changes that happen to these cars over the years then I would let my mind run wild and build exactly the car I wanted.

In the couple of years I've owned my 69RR I have made discoveries and I continue to make discoveries.

Some of my first discoveries were that the radiator support and trunk lid gutter stampings matched my fender tag and VIN plate on the dash. That's always nice right??

Well then with the help of the BBodies crew here I learned where to look for the stamping on my 383 engine block. Again, we had a match with the car's VIN. Wow, kind of a big deal to me I guess.

Now just last weekend after finishing the last weld on a frame connector (Yes Will, I did it, couldn't wait no longer LOL!) I got looking at my 4 speed trans... Hmm, there's a milled pad on the RH side of the trans... a swipe with a wire brush revealed once again, a match with the car's VIN.... Wow, happy dance.....

Last night I'm under the car and my oldest boy is out there too. I set up a make shift indicator on one of the back tires and I crawl under the car and take note of the location of a balancing weight on the driveshaft. i want to see if the car still has it's 3.23 gears like the fender tag indicates. I know it has a suregrip like it's supposed to have so the ratio test will be really simple. Once again I was happy to see that just short of 3 1/4 turns on the drive shaft took a back tire around one full rotation.

I feel obligated to put this car back to T7 with a white vinyl top like it came from the factory.

Otherwise, yeah I might be black, bright red, metallic orange or whatever.

But my conscience is forcing me to own a brown car with a white top. Lol!! :grin:

No I won't be concours, i won’t have perfectly replicated grease pencil marks, skinny tires or correctly coated fasteners, battery, correct oil filter etc lol!! :grin: but the foundation will be there, the basic car with the engine and drive train it came with, correct color paint etc.

I'm sort of limiting myself to wheels and tires as my own personal touches on this one.

Not sure on the slots yet, it might just be the way to go for me because it gives me a car as I would have seen it on the road when I was a kid.

A brown road runner with a white top and a set of slots....

Hey, if it's all straight, glassy smooth, shiny, glimmering slots sized and set correctly, stance.. all that... I think it would work.

Auto Transport Service
Back