• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71-2 RR 15x7 Rallyes

tak419

Local time
7:10 AM
Reaction score
I did a search and can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I'm ready to buy new tires, going with BF Radial TA's. I'm torn between 255/60-15 and 275/60. Can I get some pics of either of those tire sized on just the 15x7 Rallye and please only on the 71-2 Roadrunner/GTX/ Satellite. I know that will limit the response but only want to see the 15x7 rallye and tire combo. Looking at a 15x8 or different wheel will throw off the look. Thanks...

Years ago I machined the centers out of some 14" rallye wheels that were bent (they are the same used in a 15") and got some new 8" rings and welded the centers in. Looked like stock! Used 275-60's on them. I have pics somewhere...

Years ago I machined the centers out of some 14" rallye wheels that were bent (they are the same used in a 15") and got some new 8" rings and welded the centers in. Looked like stock! Used 275-60's on them. I have pics somewhere...
You welded up the wheel, was is straight ? I have L-60's on the back currently and they squeeze onto the 7" wheel. I had thought of doing you did, put a 8" wheel together put I don't have the means to make it true. I suppose I could rig something up. I know they make 15x8 but I don't like how the trim ring looks. I would want the extra 1" all toward the inside. Then I'd squeeze an 295/50 on there. I know I'd have to move the springs in tho.

255s all around
IMG_0245.JPG
IMG_1238.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen a friend cut out wheel centers with a brake lathe, then weld 15x7 steel wheel "hoops" on 14" rallye and road wheel centers.

You welded up the wheel, was is straight ? I have L-60's on the back currently and they squeeze onto the 7" wheel. I had thought of doing you did, put a 8" wheel together put I don't have the means to make it true. I suppose I could rig something up. I know they make 15x8 but I don't like how the trim ring looks. I would want the extra 1" all toward the inside. Then I'd squeeze an 295/50 on there. I know I'd have to move the springs in tho.
I have a lathe to work with which makes things a lot easier.....and factory steel wheels are not exactly true. Even new ones are not perfect and after 40 years on the road, they can be pretty crappy.

I've seen a friend cut out wheel centers with a brake lathe, then weld 15x7 steel wheel "hoops" on 14" rallye and road wheel centers.
I knew the 14 and 15" centers on the rallye wheels were the same but never messed with the road wheels. Makes sense that the centers in them are the same size too. :thumbsup:

Whaaaat ? And you're driving on them lol. Guess all tires don't pop after 6 yrs. Mine have a date code of 1980 and all look fine but one. It sat flat over the winter and the side wall rubber looks a little cracked. I had a guy tell me it was just the outer skin and the tire still felt plenty soft. Idk

Just bought a old Dakota and it had 11 year old Micky's on it but my flat bed trailer had 20 year old Mickys lol. One did fail after doing a 400 mile run. If you keep them from sitting flat and out of the sun, they will last much longer!

Thanks 72roadrunnerGTX, that's exactly what I'm looking for and even the right brand tire. Is there any way I could get a couple pics from the rear. I'd like to see how wide the tire looks from the back.

Thanks again. Damn I love your car.
It's kinda hard to tell at that angle but it gives me a pretty good idea. The 255/60-15 has tue same specs as the Goodyear polyglass g60 so I guess it's original in size. I think I'm getting to picky on this lol.

I like the pic of the snow covered mountain in the background! Kinda glad there's no mountains where I live because they make me want to 'explore' them!

I agree about that pic, It's nice. Someone should do some editing on it and remove the people and the cars in the far parking lot. It could be poster material.

I agree about that pic, It's nice. Someone should do some editing on it and remove the people and the cars in the far parking lot. It could be poster material.
Some background, had to wait quite awhile to get that shot, very crowded parking lot at Paradise, WA. Located at 5400 feet (tree line), in the Mount Rainier National Park. Best part was the drive up and back, second clip, except for some lane closures that day. Part of an organized cruise with the local Walter P. Chrysler club a couple of summers ago.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back