• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Runner Resto - The beginning

Local time
11:49 PM
Reaction score
Started to reorganize the garage so I can set up a new rotisserie just bought.
Took the cover off the runner to find the mice had really done a job on the headliner and seats.
No problem... I'll use the winter months to tear down and restore the seats and dash carrier.

Thought i would show the 1980 photos and some from today, pre-teardown.

Roadrunner 1980_1.jpg
Roadrunner 1980_2.jpg

From today - out of the garage and uncovered
IMG_1139.JPG

Pulled the mat.... mouse crap, dirty but very solid
IMG_1142.JPG
IMG_1147.JPG

When i drop the drive train and mount the body on the rotisserie, I'll post more.

thanks 4 the pics and have fun.

I am seriously digging those hubcaps. She looks like a super solid base. Good luck with your build!

I am seriously digging those hubcaps. She looks like a super solid base. Good luck with your build!
When I was younger I really wanted the factory rims..... I'm glad I didn't do it.... I'm happy to have a base model sleeper.... everyone seems to want a GTX or a R with a wing.
You have to work driving this. Manual 4 speed.... no power steering.... no power brakes..... no discs-all drums.

Looks like a great car to bring back to life. Working on a '71 RR here also. Good Luck!! POPS

Sorry for the delay.... been traveling some.
I'm doing the body and paint myself. Getting the garage prepared for the tear down and sizing up the rotisserie on the car. I should be dropping out the drive train this week end coming up.

IMG_1262[1].JPG IMG_1263[1].JPG

Dropped the drive train out last week end. It went pretty smooth with exception that the last 2 bolts.... of course the last 2 bolts would not break free on the K-frame.
Extreme heat did not help but leverage did break the heads off the bolts.
Here are some pics of the progress.
IMG_1278.JPG
IMG_1280.JPG
IMG_1282.JPG
IMG_1287.JPG
IMG_1288.JPG

Thank you for sharing these pictures, its looking great! What did you use for castors to move the engine on the ground? I am soon to put mine back in early next year and want to go under the car like you did. With the k frame on, how much room did you have for the oil pan?

I happened to have an old bread factory tray steel dolly laying around like the pic below.
I put 2 - 2x12x26inch planks inside the frame so the k-frame could rest on it. My wheels were steel though and the dolly had a capacity stamp of 1500 pounds.
My oil pan does not go below the k-frame member so no issue there.
For the A833 4sp attached to the engine.... I had a HF furniture dolly which worked fine for the trans to rest on.
ELA Dolly for Bakery Trays 2.jpg

Later on, I'm going to fabricate a very low profile steel tube dolly like in the attached pic below.
image (28).jpg

Nice 71! Looks solid. I like the way you dropped the engine from under the car. I have a 72 Roadrunner and am planning to install the engine tranny and K Member in the same fasion. I am also in New England. Keep up the good work!

Dropped the drive train out last week end. It went pretty smooth with exception that the last 2 bolts.... of course the last 2 bolts would not break free on the K-frame.
Extreme heat did not help but leverage did break the heads off the bolts.

Finally dropped out the rear suspension and gas tank etc....have the car on the rotisserie.
I'm extremely happy to still see a lot of the undercarriage still shows the galvanized metal where Plymouth dipped it.
IMG_1304.JPG
IMG_1300.JPG

Is that a bench seat car I see through the windshield ? Looks like one I almost bought in 1972, awesome !

Yes. Its a base RR with taxi cab interior. Black bench seats with charcoal grey/silver inserts.
340 4bbl - 4 speed - drum brakes all around - no power steering or brakes.
No rally rims just 14 inch wheel base with the stainless steel satellite hub caps.

All numbers matching main components..... the only exceptional thing is the engine. I rebuilt it in 89 because of failing head gaskets etc.... from sitting so long. I bought it in 80 with 19K on it, then the rebuild happened with 35K or so on it.... now the car has 43K and the engine 8K or so.
Its a 68 block with intake port matched J heads - 2.02 intakes - 10.5:1 forged pistons - forged crank / rods - comp cam, if I remember right about .501 lift - Edelbrock Torker 340 single plane (original series)..... and hooker headers... replaced the prestolite dual point distributor with direct connection electronic...
A lot of things have changed in vintage muscle tech since 89, so I have a lot of catch-up to do considering update mods.

Auto Transport Service
Back