• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Trans Band Adjustments

1963JAM

Local time
8:12 PM
Reaction score
20220127_183353.jpg
20220127_183330.jpg
Good morning. Have question about adjusting transmission bands when I find this in the pan. Transmission shifted fine except for slow reverse engagement at first start up. Should I adjust to repair manual procedure, kick down and low/reverse, or or seal it, fill it and leave it alone?
20220127_183323.jpg

Your this far so adjust both bands and replace the filter. Try starting it in neutral when cold to see if it engages quicker. Converter could be bleeding back. Whats the history on this transmission? Last time the pan was off?

Your this far so adjust both bands and replace the filter. Try starting it in neutral when cold to see if it engages quicker. Converter could be bleeding back. Whats the history on this transmission? Last time the pan was off?
I bought car 5 months ago as is. Previous owner same. I have no history on trans or engine swap. car was originally 318 car. Looks like a '66 440 and not sure what year trans was installed. So I have no info on fluid changes. I have read slow reverse engagement could be clogged filter like the pic shows. I was thinking of draining converter but drain plug is crazy tight and don't know how to refill it on car.

I bought car 5 months ago as is. Previous owner same. I have no history on trans or engine swap. car was originally 318 car. Looks like a '66 440 and not sure what year trans was installed. So I have no info on fluid changes. I have read slow reverse engagement could be clogged filter like the pic shows. I was thinking of draining converter but drain plug is crazy tight and don't know how to refill it on car.
The converter plug is just 1/8 pipe thread. Get the right tool on it for leverage and it will come out. Converter refills as you fill the transmission. So drain the converter, adjust the bands, change the filter and fill her up.

Very fine metallic dust in the ATF is very common, the pic looks like more than that. Could be convertor failing??

When restarting after draining convertor run it in neutral to fill convertor. They don't pump fluid in park. I would dump the fluid again in about 6 months and have another look.

Is the debris magnetic?
Doug

Had that type of debts from pump bushing. Guy that removed engine didn't remove convertor and ledt it on engine. A no no.

I wonder where flakes of paint would come from. If not metal, probably OK to just adjust the bands, replace the filter and fluid. Work at that convertor drain plug, it's good to get all that fluid out now.

Wonder if it's babbit material? Anything that has copper on it?

When restarting after draining convertor run it in neutral to fill convertor. They don't pump fluid in park. I would dump the fluid again in about 6 months and have another look.
Check your service manual. Fluid is circulated in park, just not as much psi as it does in neutral.

Grey mud is normal. Brown flakes that look like little leaves are clutch or band material. Metal can either be steel or aluminum. A few particles on a higher milage unit is no big deal. You can adjust the bands but if they really need a big adjustment the band itself is more than likely worn. Count the number of turns it takes to tighten them up snug Shouldn't be more than 3 -3 1/2 turns

It looks like normal wear & tear to me, just clutch dust mixed with trans fluid = gray mud. If there is metallic particles, suspect the torque converter getting ready to call it quits, as it has the only metal wear parts. The transmission is mainly aluminium with brass bushings and thrust washers. The soft engagement into reverse would most likely be a result of torque converter drain back. When these cars were new and were in daily use, this was never a discernable problem. Now that our old muscle cars are driven infrequently, this drain back is noticable. The remedy is to start the car in neutral, and let it idle for 30 seconds to allow the converter to refill more quickly.

Auto Transport Service
Back