• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Roadrunner 340 Auto

Rain, rain, and more rain so I changed my plans. Blocked both doors to see if any additional work would be needed. Not too bad, only one door needed a little more high build. I ended up spraying them both as I have to put them away to gain some space, and didn't want to store them in a finished (less sealer) condition.
100_9046.JPG
100_9047.JPG
100_9048.JPG

Dan 64,
It will be painted the color it was born with, Y1-Lemon Twist

Sorry to read what you have went threw recently, Good to hear you have recovered but sorry for what has happened to the family. You have done a fantastic job, I think the car project is a way of healing. Keep up the great work, don't have a timeline, get it done when it gets done.

Just read through this. Awesome build! A lot of great work being done here!

Inside the trunk is as good as I am going to get it. Sanded down and put new seam seal where it was from the factory.
Ready for paint as soon as it sets up.

100_9065.JPG

Sound deadening was repaired where the PO's attempted body work.

100_9070.JPG
100_9069.JPG

Interior floor pan was repaired as needed.

100_9071.JPG
100_9073.JPG

Seam seal was put back in the drip runs as the factory had done, that is what they did so I duplicated it.

100_9072.JPG

You can see here where I just touched up what was already in one drip run:

100_9074.JPG

Trunk and floor pan sprayed in enamel Y-1 Lemon Twist. I probably put more paint down than the factory but I tried to follow their lead. The color is actually a lot brighter than the photos show.
100_9075.JPG
100_9078.JPG
100_9079.JPG
100_9080.JPG
100_9081.JPG

This will be a really nice car when it is done - it looks great getting some paint!

I remember when restoring my 73 after the body was painted. I thought it looked bad without the black to set it off because it was so bright. But once I got the black stripes on it totally changed the car!

Keep up the good work!

Hawk

Very nice! That color is growing on me. What is the purple in the pics?

IDK, if you are talking about the color in the second pic (under the green tape below the magnetic light) that is just the high build primer. It is actually light grey but the camera doesn't show it well (could be all the dust on it). Just like the yellow, which is much brighter than the pics show.

ct71rr,
This is what it looks like under natural light, not great light but at least natural light.

100_9083.JPG
100_9084.JPG

ct71rr,
This is what it looks like under natural light, not great light but at least natural light.

Thanks! I thought you changed your mind and switched to In Violet. Your work is impressive. Quick question: are you smoothing out the rust scaling by using mig wire then grinding smooth?

Thanks! I thought you changed your mind and switched to In Violet. Your work is impressive. Quick question: are you smoothing out the rust scaling by using mig wire then grinding smooth?

Not really. I cut out any rust holes back to good metal and then weld in new metal. For the trunk floor I repaired the bad spots and ground the pan back to good metal, pitted but solid. I then put down a coat of rust stop, and then ground most of that off, leaving it only in the pitted areas (just in cast the wire wheel/grinder did not get all the rust). Then a couple of coats of epoxy primer to seal things up. This was followed by about 3 rounds of high build primer (2 coats each round) that was sanded between rounds until smooth. Seam seal and then enamel paint. Looking back I should have shot the trunk with a white sealer coat to help the Lemon Twist stand out a little more. I will probably go back and shoot the trunk again. When I spray the BC it will be over a white seal coat. I used this same method on a Spitfire I did (to test the PPG color) and really liked the color it produced.
100_7491.JPG
100_7492.JPG
100_7498.JPG

I know it is not a MOPAR but it was a fun little car to do. This is what the Spitfire looked like when I got it:
100_7298.JPG
100_7297.JPG

thumbnail_IMG_0224.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0314.jpg

I really like those Spitfires and have been tempted to buy one many times but never have. The problem is that I have too many other projects to do but I would like drive one at least, they seem like very cool little cars.

Pulled both the windshield and back glass. Both were Pentastar clear glass. Back was strip set and windshield was a urethane set. Maybe it was removed for the crap re-spray it got sometime in the past. Removed all the glass sealing material, sanded the pinch welds, sprayed with a rust converter, sanded again, sprayed with two coats of epoxy, applied seam seal on factory lead joint areas, and finished with two coats of 2K high build primer. Once that dries it just needs to be sanded for sealer.
100_9086.JPG
100_9087.JPG
100_9089.JPG
100_9092.JPG
100_9095.JPG
100_9097.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back