• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 RR 400 4 speed. - oil comes out of dipstick - Help please.

b_body_hopeful

Local time
9:04 PM
Reaction score
I have a 73 RR with a 400 and 4 speed...and I have been looking at a puddle of engine oil under the car wherever I stop and put the car away for the night.

I changed oil and filter about 300 miles ago and saw nothing unusual about the oil. Cut open the filter and it looked good.

I could not figure out where the oil was coming from. So, I cleaned up the engine bay, put some dye into the engine oil and ran the car for about 40 miles. I parked it in the garage and when I came out the next morning, there was the oil under the car. Well, I got my trusty yellow tinted glasses with the special light just made for seeing the dye and opened up the hood. There it was, dye and oil from the end of the dipstick running down the stick and splashed all over the drivers inside engine bay.

That's the story, hope someone here could shed a little light on what could be wrong or an easy fix for the problem I have.

BTW - The engine runs at 180 degrees when warmed up and the oil pressure runs in between 70 PSI and lower ( usually, when hot, runs between 45 to 65 PSI).

sounds like you don't have proper crankcase ventilation. I like to have my PCV on one valve cover running to the carb, and a breather on the other side.

As stated do you have a PCV in the valve cover? A breather on the other? If so try a new PCV valve.
It could be blow by past the rings (worn rings).

Do you have crazy oil pressure? Hi Vol pump with a stock pan?
RPM the motor to crazy levels???

Ron

Also make sure you have the correct hose on the PCV valve to carb, if its not correct, vacuum can cause the hose to collapse and impact the breathing of the engine. Do check the hose when the car is up to temperature or been driven and while its running.

What oil pan and how much oil to fill also do you have a windage tray

First, thanks for the replies. I have replaced the PVC valve which is in the drivers VC (Valve Cover) and also replaced the breather cap in the passenger VC. Am I correct in my thinking?

1. PCV valve is a one way valve and is connected to carb.
Air should be sucked into the carb but air should not get into the VC from the PCV.
I tested new one and when engine is running, placed finger on PCV valve before I put it in the VC and felt much suction. Also, checked hose from PCV to carb and it is not collapsing. So air from drivers side VC is drawn into carb and burned. (AIR COMING FROM ENGINE)

2. Breather cap is going to let filtered air into passenger side VC into engine.
I tested this by removing breather cap and placed hand on hole of VC. I felt no air coming from or going into the passenger VC(AIR GOING INTO ENGINE)

Now, can someone tell me how does air get from passenger side VC into block of engine to stabilize pressure in the block, then get out into drivers VC to be removed by PCV valve setup? Why I ask is because I have a feeling that something got plugged just after or at the time of my first oil change.

There was no oil coming from the dipstick until the oil/filter change. I put in 5 quarts of oil as specified. Oil came up on dipstick and read correctly. FULL.

I will do a comp check and get back with my findings.

The vacuum in the motor draws air in through your driver's side breather, into the driver's side valve cover, through the oil drain-back holes, the pushrod holes, etc., into the valley and then through the same holes on the passenger side head into the valve cover, through the PCV valve and into the carburetor base and finally, the intake manifold. There are also numerous routes for any vapor in the crankcase to escape to the valley and follow the same path.

Sorry, or maybe I'm not reading this right.
I'm not seeing how a leak from the top of the tube when the engine is running is not noticed, yet it spits up a puddle after you shut it down? Have you determined the tube has no crack in it at the base or around the bolt mount?
As far as PCV, I would think you would at least have enough pull to hold a sheet of paper on the breather hole when running. Other than that, make sure the PCV valve isn't bottoming on a baffle when installed.

Dave, that is ok. Baffles me too. No the oil does not spew when the car is at idle in the driveway. It comes out when I am driving the car. Sorry for the confusion. After I cleaned up the mess, then I drove it the next day and when I stopped and opened up the hood, the oil was back. The dipstick and everything else on the drivers side was wet with oil. BTW, great ideas. I have just checked the PCV and the breather and neither of them hit the baffles, They are about 3/8" to 1/2" away when fully in.

Mark, how to relieve the pressure is the next step......the engine runs like a raped ape even with the buildup of pressure. Still I will do a comp check.

Dave, that is ok. Baffles me too. No the oil does not spew when the car is at idle in the driveway. It comes out when I am driving the car. Sorry for the confusion. After I cleaned up the mess, then I drove it the next day and when I stopped and opened up the hood, the oil was back. The dipstick and everything else on the drivers side was wet with oil. BTW, great ideas. I have just checked the PCV and the breather and neither of them hit the baffles, They are about 3/8" to 1/2" away when fully in.

Mark, how to relieve the pressure is the next step......the engine runs like a raped ape even with the buildup of pressure. Still I will do a comp check.

are you losing oil around the grommets , or do you have oil in the breather? do you have oil in the PCV line?

the only time I had oil coming out of the dipstick tube when running was because I had a bad PCV and clogged line to the carb. it would actually push the dipstick out of the tube about an inch, and I had oil everywhere.

are you losing oil around the grommets , or do you have oil in the breather? do you have oil in the PCV line?

the only time I had oil coming out of the dipstick tube when running was because I had a bad PCV and clogged line to the carb. it would actually push the dipstick out of the tube about an inch, and I had oil everywhere.

No oil around grommets, could be oil in the breather did not look like I had any oil in the PCV or the lines, at least my lips did not taste any,LOL. Now have new PCV and hose from CV to carb. Tested PCV while engine running, good suction.

Another thing to try. With engine off, pump compressed air into the PCV side and determine if it comes out freely through the breather cap.
With the PCV plugged and the breather cap off do you see excessive mist coming out due to blow-by?
http://youtu.be/fG_L7JiJfb4

After you run the engine does your oil look aerated or foaming on the stick?

First, thanks for the replies. I have replaced the PVC valve which is in the drivers VC (Valve Cover) and also replaced the breather cap in the passenger VC. Am I correct in my thinking?

1. PCV valve is a one way valve and is connected to carb.
Air should be sucked into the carb but air should not get into the VC from the PCV.
I tested new one and when engine is running, placed finger on PCV valve before I put it in the VC and felt much suction. Also, checked hose from PCV to carb and it is not collapsing. So air from drivers side VC is drawn into carb and burned. (AIR COMING FROM ENGINE)

2. Breather cap is going to let filtered air into passenger side VC into engine.
I tested this by removing breather cap and placed hand on hole of VC. I felt no air coming from or going into the passenger VC(AIR GOING INTO ENGINE)

Now, can someone tell me how does air get from passenger side VC into block of engine to stabilize pressure in the block, then get out into drivers VC to be removed by PCV valve setup? Why I ask is because I have a feeling that something got plugged just after or at the time of my first oil change.

There was no oil coming from the dipstick until the oil/filter change. I put in 5 quarts of oil as specified. Oil came up on dipstick and read correctly. FULL.

I will do a comp check and get back with my findings.

I'm I reading that your pvc is in the drivers side valve cover and the breather cap is on the passenger side vc?

Or would that matter?

I'm I reading that your pvc is in the drivers side valve cover and the breather cap is on the passenger side vc?

Or would that matter?

my breather is on the right side and PCV on the left as well. I don't think it matters

Outcome. TO MUCH OIL IN THE ENGINE>>>>>>>>>>>
OP used 21 inch dip stick instead of 23 inch for the 400 cid. Drove me insane.
No more oil from dip stick.........

Thanks to all who helped in solving this issue. Great write-ups and problem solving from the forum. All this testing might help someone else. It did me.
Thanks again.

Glad you solved it and that it was an easy fix! Draining a little oil and getting a different dipstick is WAY easier than dealing with an engine with bad rings!

Hawk

Auto Transport Service
Back