• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'76 Charger Daytona

Car looks good. The BB is a bonus as they run great. Value is all over the place right now as they haven't become super popular yet. If your looking for a quick flip I would pass. If you are looking for a good car to restore and enjoy I would say you have a good starting point on that one. Good Luck.

The urban legend on the Charger becoming the Magnum it that it was done to keep Richard Petty racing Mopars. I tend to believe more marketing and styling reasons but he did build and test one. Dunno if ever competed. I do think the two tone paint was at least inspired by his blue and red gen 3 and there are old magazine ads with him pitching the red over burgandy 76.

Back in the day the only ones I saw were blue and check the 76 dealer brochure for why. They also did a grey over silver. This one looks well optioned - 400, buckets, rallye wheels, power windows, cruise, tilt. Way too many of them were 318 bench seat.

This one also looks to be an early 76 which means it's pretty likely to have a slap stick. In typical Mopar fashion they used up the left over shifter mechanisms in early Cordobas and Chargers with floor shifts. Easy transplant but cool to have.

As for value, most I see are over priced based on the typical rare = valuable mentality and the few that do pop up are either time capsule survivors or resto mods with big dollar motor mods. I'd use the less popular than Cordobas when new pitch to scoop it up cheap.

SAM_0285.JPG

The urban legend on the Charger becoming the Magnum it that it was done to keep Richard Petty racing Mopars. I tend to believe more marketing and styling reasons but he did build and test one. Dunno if ever competed.
It did indeed compete - after Richard parked it, he gave it to his son Kyle who scored a win in his very first stock car race at the 1979 Arca 200. He was 18 at the time. https://www.arcaracing.com/articles...-1979-arca-200-countdown-to-daytona-continues

dc6fbc58929a0e1d2004f29fef0819ce.jpg

That's a console/bucket seat big block b body, and in my opinion, those are always a keeper. The two tone paint is a plus as well. The fact that it is a daytona is a plus as well, that will help with its long term value. Its not worth much now, but these cars are slowly growing. I had no trouble at all selling my 77 Doba and I should have asked more for it.

The floor shifter in my buddy's 77 Daytona was mechanically identical to a slap stick except...the ratcheting portion of the mechanism was missing, and it did not say "Slap Stick" on the plastic panel.

So here's the thing on slap sticks in late B bodies: just about any of them produced in calendar yr 75 will have it and none of them will have the lettering on the shifter plate. Officially, it wasn't an option you could order (I have a copy of a dealership order forms) and I believe that in typical Mopar fashion they just used remaining inventory on the shelf by using up the discontinued slap sticks first.

I've seen a few early Cordobas with floor shifts and they were all slap sticks. My 76 Daytona was build in 75 and it has the slap stick as well. Pretty sure the build sheet makes no mention of it but haven't looked at it lately.

Auto Transport Service
Back