8 3/4 drain plug?

Engine, Trans & Driveline

1. 493 Mike

493 Mike FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    4:17 PM
    Hi fellas,
    I've welded half couplings and pipe plugged several housings with good results but on my NEW 65 Coronet I was thinking about drilling and tapping for a 1/8" plug. I do not want to weld on a greasy housing and bake a bunch of crud on the inside. Has anyone here tried the drill and tap scenario with success?
    Thanks.
    Mike

2. Yatzee

Yatzee Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I have done this several times. Leave the oil in the rear while you drill and tap to flush any possible metal shavings. Then if you lift on the diff, use a wooden piece on the jack or the rubber pad if it comes with the jack.

3. beanhead

beanhead Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:17 PM
    I've done the drill-n-tap, not a problem but the housing was off the car. I like yatzee's idea above, to let the oil wash the shavings back out. May be messy I would just drill slow and don't be directly under it...

4. Cornpatch MO

Cornpatch MO Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:17 PM
    I drilled and tapped mine for a brass allen head plug. I have a 3/4" rubber pad to put on the floor jack. I suggest grease on your tap to make the thread filings stick to it, and a magnetic drain plug. Lisle Corp. used to make a lot of different magnetic drain plugs...........................MO

5. 493 Mike

493 Mike FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    I have a couple pieces of 2x4 with a clearance hole in them for jacking. Thanks for the feedback fellas.
    Mike

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.