• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adding P/S to Big block Belvedere.. Which pulleys will I need?

Workinman

Local time
4:01 PM
Reaction score
This should be an easy one... I'm installing power steering on a 66 Belvedere that was born with manual steering and I need to know what I need to order as far as pulleys are concerned. I have a 440 going back into the car and it had a single belt pulley system with an under drive pulley on the crankshaft. I'm assuming that the P/S needs it's own belt but I have the motor out of the car right now and can't check the brackets to be sure. My questions are...
1) do I need a belt to run from the crank, over the water pump and to the p/s pump or can I just run a belt from the water pump to the p/s pump? The alt belt would be running the water pump, of course. This way I would need a single belt pulley on the crank and a dual belt pulley on the water pump.other option would require a dual belt pulley on crank and water pump. Which would be best?
2) this car was a race car and I'm putting it back on the street, so I think the under drive pulley on the crank should be replaced with a regular pulley to speed everything up to normal. Does this sound like a good idea or would the under drive pulley be okay?
thanks for your help!
Chris

Hello Chris

you´ll need a dual grove pulley on crankshaft... the P/S belt is a little "wider" than the waterpump belt also... The P/s should be driven from the crank pulley directly... Not over the Waterpump !

Greetings Juergen

Auto Transport Service
Back