• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adjustable pinion snubber from Mancini. Got one coming and ??

Ski, maybe you got one for a 8 1/bb4 as they have a different bolt spacing than the 8 3/4. Maybe.

Makes sense, and would be just my luck. I think I'm going to cut the adjuster off and put it on my existing snubber of course after I remove the current rubber bumper

Update!
I was told by a local Mopar racer this evening that the pinion snubber is designed to be used with Super Stock springs, not factory springs! Porpoising (which I did feel on the launch) is what he suspects bent the snubber bracket, and I think he's right.
If the SS springs are required to make use of the pinion snubber, it would be nice for Mancini to say so.

"Back in the day", I too experienced "porpoising" with the snubber setup as recommended by Mopar. The snubber seemed to unload the suspension. I took it out. I concentrated on building a spring combination that worked ('65 Coronet w/21" front segment leafs). The stock Hemi spring stack on the '65 main leaf worked well. I copied the spring stack of the 3000# auto SS springs of the '70's w/'65 main leaf. Worked GREAT. Current SS spring design is different than the '70's version. I'm modifying my newer SS spring to be closer to the old stuff. Still NO SNUBBER.

The most likely "fix" for me is the RMS StreetLynx, but I have no idea when my budget will catch up with that part of my wish list. I haven't completely ruled out the CalTracks setup, but that isn't my 1st choice.
I also see GERST offers a triangulated 4 link, and a parallel 4 link, but the parallel design requires a panhard rod or watts link that would require removing the factory gas tank, and I would rather not do that.

Last edited:
"Back in the day", I too experienced "porpoising" with the snubber setup as recommended by Mopar. The snubber seemed to unload the suspension. I took it out. I concentrated on building a spring combination that worked ('65 Coronet w/21" front segment leafs). The stock Hemi spring stack on the '65 main leaf worked well. I copied the spring stack of the 3000# auto SS springs of the '70's w/'65 main leaf. Worked GREAT. Current SS spring design is different than the '70's version. I'm modifying my newer SS spring to be closer to the old stuff. Still NO SNUBBER.
Don’t want to hijack, but curious 66sat about difference in current SS springs, thanks, Jeff.

Update!
I was told by a local Mopar racer this evening that the pinion snubber is designed to be used with Super Stock springs, not factory springs! Porpoising (which I did feel on the launch) is what he suspects bent the snubber bracket, and I think he's right.
If the SS springs are required to make use of the pinion snubber, it would be nice for Mancini to say so.
Interesting. Most will tell you that if you use SS springs, you don't use the snubber

TrackPack, great video. Which SS springs, snubber or no, car weight?

I assume that Tri-City "Launchers" are the springs.
EDIT!
I just got off the phone with Greg in California. I found another thread on this forum discussing the "Launchers".
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/rear-suspension.83378/page-7#post-910182556
They no longer make the "Launchers"
For what it's worth, GERST or RMS StreetLynx is the route I'm going, but I'm not constrained to nor concerned with keeping my 70 Roadrunner "stock appearing".

Last edited:

That is a video of Mike Delahanty's NHRA max wedge A/SA car with "Launcher springs" by Greg Luneack at Tri-City Competition. Cal Tracs have pretty much replaced these in class racing, but I wanted to post to show how effective good leaf springs and shocks can be.

That is a video of Mike Delahanty's NHRA max wedge A/SA car with "Launcher springs" by Greg Luneack at Tri-City Competition. Cal Tracs have pretty much replaced these in class racing, but I wanted to post to show how effective good leaf springs and shocks can be.
Yes. Nice launch! Reminds me of a Ford Thunderbolt 4 speed going down the track. Body lifts, rear wheels stay planted.
I spoke with Greg today. No more "Launchers" :(

I run a snubber in the roadrunner with 50 year old GTX leaf springs. Granted they are probably a bit overpowered but it hooks like a bitch. It’s been 1.50 on the 60ft with a j converter. I run it about a fingers with off the floor. That mancini thing is just a pile o ****. Mine is also homemade.

That mancini thing is just a pile o ****.
Anyone with eyes can see the difference between the other homemade one and the Mancini unit, BUT I have a friend who ran the cheaper pinion snubber (the one with holes and a pin) in a 383/4 speed 70 Roadrunner and he had no problems.
My (best Mancini offers) bent on the first run, at the starting line! I never should have tried a 2nd run.
So how can I have so much trouble with something they've been selling since at least 1981?
Can it be that my leaf springs are THAT shot?
All of the replies are greatly appreciated and welcome, but I am not going to "just replace the springs" and although I know lots of people run them with success, I am way more inclined to go RMS StreetLynx or GERST triangulated rear suspension than use an inherently inferior design (leaf springs).
Screenshot_20180705-170515_Google.jpg

I spoke with Carl Gerst today. Basically about my "thoughts" that for my application, a triangulated 4 link rear suspension system would be my best option vs leafs+CalTracks, asked about either a panhard or watts equipped parallel 4 link (which he quickly dismissed for my needs) and the differences between the GERST, RMS-StreetLynx and others.
Bottom line is I got great support from him in my quest for answers. I met Carl at the 'Nats 2 years ago, and he was really "into" what he does. We also talked about some front suspension parts that would be compatible with the "factory" design.

Auto Transport Service
Back