• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aftermarket underdash cassette expert

GOLDMYN

Local time
7:24 AM
Reaction score
Hi, I'm thinking perhaps install in the glovebox a cassette player, Will it need extra power which could harm my stock system? I appreciate comments Mike
DSC05923.JPG
DSC05924.JPG
DSC05925.JPG
DSC05926.JPG

I am not exactly understanding what your concern is. That is a stand alone player with its own amplifier so it would have nothing to do with your in dash radio. The question I have is what kind of stock radio do you have and how many speakers do you have in the car? If you only have one speaker in the middle of the dash you will need to install at least one more. The wiring harness should have an in-line fuse on the power supply wire. You would run that wire to the fuse box for power. By the way that’s a nice, cool looking vintage player. Not many were made that had a headphone jack. What kind of car do you have and what year?

Last edited:
Probably a great deck in its day. Check availability of belts and how far you have to take it apart to install before you get too far. They are dried out and will soon fail if they haven't fallen off already.

So I am assuming you only have one speaker in the middle of the dash. If that is the case, my recommendation would be to install two speakers in the rear deck. Those speakers would be used with the cassette player, And the front dash speaker would be used with the in dash radio.

I am not exactly understanding what your concern is. That is a stand alone player with its own amplifier so it would have nothing to do with your in dash radio. The question I have is what kind of stock radio do you have and how many speakers do you have in the car? If you only have one speaker in the middle of the dash you will need to install at least one more. The wiring harness should have and in-line fuse on the power supply wire. You would run that wire to the fuse box for power. By the way that’s a nice, cool looking vintage player. Not many were made that had a headphone jack. What kind of car do you have and what year?

1965 Coronet sedan deluxe 383/330hp w/3spd on tree

Cool car, nice color. If you did install two speakers in the rear deck, which I am assuming would have two speaker holes but I’m not sure on that year car, the radio and the Cassette player would be completely independent from each other.

Cool car, nice color. If you did install two speakers in the rear deck, which I am assuming would have two speaker holes but I’m not sure on that year car, the radio and the Cassette player would be completely independent from each other.

No holes, I think I'd put the speakers on the floor behind the front seat. oh, I have speakers (pioneer)

That would be a good way to go without having to modify the car. So basically you would run the power wire from the cassette player to the fuse box and a ground wire to the chassis and then there will be either three or four wires for the speakers.

I just noticed some thing on the instruction manual. There are two power supply wires. One of them gets connected to a constant power supply, and the other gets connected to a keyed power supply. With this system, if a tape is left in the player, when the key is turned off the cassette will automatically be ejected, turning the player off and preventing damage to the pinch rollers

I just noticed some thing on the instruction manual. There are two power supply wires. One of them gets connected to a constant power supply, and the other gets connected to a keyed power supply. With this system, if a tape is left in the player, when the key is turned off the cassette will automatically be ejected, turning the player off and preventing damage to the pinch rollers

I knew I should have taken electronics instead of wood working in HS

With 12 W per channel power, the automatic eject system, loudness control, metal tape capability, and headphone jack, Your player is one of the best that RadioShack would have sold back in the day.

Last edited:
With 12 W per channel power, the automatic eject system, loudness control, metal tape capability, and headphone jack, Your player is one of the best that RadioShack would have sold back in the day.

I gave $50.00 on ebay, The seller was asking $100.

The stock wiring won't suffer with a stereo like that. True is not the most efficient system related to power consumption and power to speakers compared with nowdays stereos, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Being I don't think you will be using both Radios at the same time you can split out power from the same stock power source than your stock radio. Stock fuse is usually 20 amps anyway so is plenty for both in any case ( usually shared also with turning lights flasher ).

For the constant batter power, I guess your fuse box got some feed for that ? will include an inline fuse from the re to the Radio ( if the radio don't get already equipped the fuse on its pigtail ).

Black wire side of ammeter could be also an option for that.

NICE CAR BTW. I'm not a big fan of pre 66 dashes/clusters design or sedan cars, but is allways gratefull for the sight look at one of these on this conditions!!!

for added info

normally old fusebox design look like this on back:

photo_002-jpg.jpg

Having this, some of the wires gets a male prong attached to the female ones to splice more power sources from same point

Auto Transport Service
Back