• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alluminum head sticky valve problems

christineman

Local time
7:49 PM
Reaction score
I put a set of allum heads on my 426 wedge. For some reason, ive got 3-4 valves that wont close all the way. They seem to be hanging up. Ive run it for anout 10 minuites at 2000 rpm but they dont seem to be getting any better. Any ideas out there of advice? If i take a pry bar, i can get them to close

You need to determine if it's a lifter problem holding them open or if the guide clearance is too tight and the valves are sticking.

make sure they are adjusted correctly.you could be collapsing the lifter with the pry bar.

Push rods rubbing the hole in the head? Crappy stale ethanol gas in the tank.

Dumb question ahead:

What is your piston to valve clearance? Sure you haven't kissed a few pistons and bent the valves.

Ask me how I learned that one...

I have seen this with iron heads - valves sticking open because guides are too tight. Is it the exhausts? That would make more sense since those run quite a bit hotter. Assuming the clearance is correct (approx. .002") it's possible the heat transfer path is interrupted by an improperly installed bronze guide. But do check the obvious external things as suggested before tearing the motor apart.

New gas

- - - Updated - - -

Howd i determin that?

- - - Updated - - -

Howd i determin that?

Are the valves all the same size? For example, if the intakes are 2.14 any chance there might be some 2.19s mixed in?

Auto Transport Service
Back