• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator hook up

frank

Local time
9:26 PM
Reaction score
DSCF4283.jpgI have a 69RR 383 the alternator went bad and I'm about to replace it. Does the yellow go to either B or C or is there suppose to have wires going to each one?

Your original alternator had only one field winding connection. What you have there is a late model 2 wire field winding. You can use it, but search the forums or google the conversion steps. I do not remember if you leave the other connection open or ground it.

There should be wires going to each, the alternator you have shown is a square-unit and isn't stock on a '69 b body. For the field wires one should be coming from the voltage regulator and the other should be coming from the ballast resistor. See this page for the instructions on how to upgrade. http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/electrical.html

There should be wires going to each, the alternator you have shown is a square-unit and isn't stock on a '69 b body. For the field wires one should be coming from the voltage regulator and the other should be coming from the ballast resistor. See this page for the instructions on how to upgrade. http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/electrical.html

There was a lot to the attachment it might be easyer just to buy one that has the correct hookup.

Do you have any idea where I can get one?

Frank, Delaware

I honestly have no idea. I bought a new m&h engine harness and it was set up for dual field. I did have to run an extra wire because my alt is internally regulated. Its a really great mod if you are willing to do it.

Thanks for your support.......

I honestly have no idea. I bought a new m&h engine harness and it was set up for dual field. I did have to run an extra wire because my alt is internally regulated. Its a really great mod if you are willing to do it.

Frank, Just hook up your one field wire from your harness. Make a pig tail and ground the other field wire. 69 and 0lder the field brush "B"grounded to the case of the alternator.

Frank, Just hook up your one field wire from your harness. Make a pig tail and ground the other field wire. 69 and 0lder the field brush "B"grounded to the case of the alternator.

Frank if you have the older mechanical voltage regulator setup (69 and older) then do what Darter says. Its very simple really. If your old alt had just them 2 wires then you just hook the batt wire to the alt output terminal and the smaller field wire to one of the field terminals. Then as was said ground the other field terminal with a small jumper wire. Dont matter which field wire you ground and hook the wire to as it will work either way. Ron

383man and Darter6

Thank you for input, I'll be working on the 69RR this weekend and trying both suggestions. I also bought a new voltage regulator; I'll install it with the alternator. What I normally do is print out the suggestions and put them on my work bench, make an assessment and then install. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks again, Frank, Delaware

Frank if you have the older mechanical voltage regulator setup (69 and older) then do what Darter says. Its very simple really. If your old alt had just them 2 wires then you just hook the batt wire to the alt output terminal and the smaller field wire to one of the field terminals. Then as was said ground the other field terminal with a small jumper wire. Dont matter which field wire you ground and hook the wire to as it will work either way. Ron

Ron
I have the connection to "A" then I connect the other wire (with the yellow end) to "B"then run a pigtile wire to "C" is that correct?

Double checking on Alternator Hookup

Terminal “A” wire stays the same, I connect the yellow clip to “B” and run a pigtail from “B” to “C” is that correct?

No "C" goes to ground only.Don't connect "B" and "C" together.

Frank, I got your PM, tried to respond . It said your inbox is full and you have to make some space.

Still can't get to you by PM. You asked about the purple wire that is part of the factory black wire terminal. That wire is pluged into the horn relay terminal marked ''B'' in the center of your horn relay.

Just to back up what was already said, you have three wires. The 1/4-20 stud is the output and goes to the big red wire with the ring lug. Now you have two "field" terminals that look exactly the same. One goes to the green regulator wire and the other to ground. Ground can be putting a ring lug on a pig tail and screwing it to one of the alternator case screws. You should have a small nut with some screw threads visible. Just back off the nut and slip a ring lug under it.

So you understand what is happening, the field is basically a rotating electromagnet that gets a variable (regulated) voltage from the regulator. The higher the voltage input to the field the higher the output. Since the regulator supplies the positive to one terminal the other needs to be grounded to complete a circuit. The later "dual field" alternator and regulator does the same thing except with better control. The alternator is far superior to generators because the high current comes from the stator and not through the armature through the commutator and brushes.

Auto Transport Service
Back