• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum vs Stock Radiator

RockyPat

Local time
1:06 PM
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a stock radiator in my 1971 Charger 318. It will need to be gone through, as it is the original unit that has been sitting in a field for decades.

I have an opportunity to buy an aluminum radiator with electric fans for $150 in used, but working condition.

I know an original radiator could be rebuilt, but is it worth the cost to do so when I could get a modern aluminum radiator with electric fans for a price like that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

A 318 should only need a single row aluminum radiator. And e-fans should cool it just fine. But since it's been sitting in a field for awhile, make sure all cooling components are new. Hoses, thermostat, water pump etc. Does it have a/c? If so, you will need a fan controller that turns on fans when a/c is on regardless of engine temp "and" when a/c is off and engine reaches desired temp. Personally, install the aluminum and get new fan clutch and put factory shroud and fan back on. No wiring, no what ifs, it was engineered to work. Save the factory radiator for if you ever decide to do a restoration.

A 318 should only need a single row aluminum radiator. And e-fans should cool it just fine. But since it's been sitting in a field for awhile, make sure all cooling components are new. Hoses, thermostat, water pump etc. Does it have a/c? If so, you will need a fan controller that turns on fans when a/c is on regardless of engine temp "and" when a/c is off and engine reaches desired temp. Personally, install the aluminum and get new fan clutch and put factory shroud and fan back on. No wiring, no what ifs, it was engineered to work. Save the factory radiator for if you ever decide to do a restoration.

Thanks for the comment. I have yet to buy new cooling components, but I will do so when the time comes. I agree that simplicity is good!

Thanks for the comment. I have yet to buy new cooling components, but I will do so when the time comes. I agree that simplicity is good!
I run 2 row aluminum w factory shroud and fan on 496" big block stroker in 125° AZ weather with no overheating and a/c blows cold. I've tried 3 different e-fan setups that did not keep up w heat. W the correct radiator, fan/shroud combo, water pump, pulley ratios and thermostat, there is no issue w heat and no wiring or fuses/relays to go bad.

I run 2 row aluminum w factory shroud and fan on 496" big block stroker in 125° AZ weather with no overheating and a/c blows cold. I've tried 3 different e-fan setups that did not keep up w heat. W the correct radiator, fan/shroud combo, water pump, pulley ratios and thermostat, there is no issue w heat and no wiring or fuses/relays to go bad.

Thanks for information. The person trying to sell his aluminum radiator to me said that he was having trouble with cooling his car when he was at a stop light. I wonder if it was because of the electric fans...

That's impressive that you can keep your 496 cool in 125 degree weather!

Personally, install the aluminum and get new fan clutch and put factory shroud and fan back on. No wiring, no what ifs, it was engineered to work. Save the factory radiator for if you ever decide to do a restoration.
I recently gave up trying to make multiple E fans and related extras work. I put the Hayden HD clutch on a 7 blade stock fan and shroud from '70 on my Cold Case 26" and it doesn't budge off the 180 thermostat with a 493 stroker.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back