• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And so it begins..... my new garage

hows that new heat system working for you
Wish I could answer that, between buying it, the cost of all the brass and copper plumbing, my boy being in ICU, our van spewing an oil leak and other things we've been to broke to buy the chemicals to fire it up. My boy seams to be better although not 100% and everything else is dealt with so maybe this weekend? Been a rough month!

Go for ur boy- screw the rest!!!
Agreed, it was the worst week of my life seeing him in such bad shape! Thank God for the pros at Akron Children's Hospitals ICU, those people are miracle workers. Shortly after being transferred there he came around and has been doing well, just a freak thing with influenza B and a bacterial infection in the his vocal area that had him struggling to even breath.

Life can seam so simple and easy until a child suffers then nothing else matters, just glad he's doing better.

Great hospital- the wife used to volunteer there with our 1st Golden Retrievers.

Agreed, it was the worst week of my life seeing him in such bad shape! Thank God for the pros at Akron Children's Hospitals ICU, those people are miracle workers. Shortly after being transferred there he came around and has been doing well, just a freak thing with influenza B and a bacterial infection in the his vocal area that had him struggling to even breath.

Life can seam so simple and easy until a child suffers then nothing else matters, just glad he's doing better.
I must have missed something...what happened with your son? I'm glad he's better, for sure. That's gotta be scary. Hang in there Dad.

I must have missed something...what happened with your son? I'm glad he's better, for sure. That's gotta be scary. Hang in there Dad.
He had Influenza B along with an infection in his airway, the combination of the 2 was pretty brutal on him. We took him in Tuesday night, by Wednesay night he was in ICU then finally came home Saturday at 6:00 PM. Wednesday night he looked bad enough that I was extremely concerned, scary stuff!

I do know what it's like to go through what you did . . . Sure glad he's doing better and that he's back home !

Finally getting around to firing up the boiler this weekend:thumbsup:! I'd fire it tonight but I figure the first time I put it in use I better be around for a few days to monitor things. Super excited just wish the garage was ready to go as well, I guess at least I can turn my attention to it once it proves to be working in the house. Getting really tired of the torpedo heater.... can't wait!

It couldn't come without a little something to tick me off. Stopped to pick up the chemicals and was informed that the thermostatic mixing valve is no longer required for the warrantee on my model of boiler:mad:!!! That $150 pile of copper fitting is $150 I'll never see again cause it's coming out! Never liked it, never wanted it and don't need the extra crap to go wrong errrr... Look on the bright side.. It's no longer needed.

It wasn't without a little trouble but our home is now propane free! I fired it up last weekend and everything worked great except we had no heat.... plenty of scalding hot water but no heat. I started doing my checks, valves on, pipes are hot, pumps running, heat exchanger manifolds hot.. WTF. Started researching and talking to the pros, they all say it's air locked although I was pretty certain it wasn't so I added 3 more bibs in the high spots. While I was at it I fixed a few minor leaks, pulled the heat exchanger and washed the A coil for better flow then re fired the boiler for another run which is when I found the problem. I was checking for leaks when I noticed a water puddle from the A coil (drain was still off), I looked at it for a second and thought NO WAY. I stuck my head out the back door and sure enough the A/C was coming on with the blower fan cooling the freshly heated air! So I learned don't trust the wiring schematic supplied by the boiler manufacturer.

House hit 80 degrees within an hour while I straightened the wiring out and has been toasty warm every since (72 degrees).

On The boiler side of things I'm very impressed, when I was shutting it down the first time I waited 24 hours for the fire to burn out!!! That's insane and it was still 95 degrees 4 days later! Next step is the garage but unfortunately the wife cut me off... lesson learned.... do the garage first!

This is brutal! Can't help but be very frustrated right now with this boiler working so well in the house yet the garage sits unheated! The question now is what do you guys think will sell well, I'm thinking about making a few of these to raise some cash. These are the ones I built for my kids. What should I ask for one and also I've made a few with flat upholstered tops that you could sit by your entrance for shoes... which one?
20171107_190546.jpg
20171107_190504.jpg

I'd think the maple and your time is more than 275.

Those look nice. I like the dove tail joinery.

For $275 I'd pass lol. The amount of time spent on the dovetails alone then the wood, piano hinge, soft close hardware, domed lid or upholstered top... just isn't worth it.

For $275 I'd pass lol. The amount of time spent on the dovetails alone then the wood, piano hinge, soft close hardware, domed lid or upholstered top... just isn't worth it.
Just to be clear...That's not what I think they are worth. They are worth WAYYY more but the average Joe would be looking at paying less...

Ask one of them to tell you how many gallon per minute you need then look up the head pressure to get that volume in 200 feet of 1 in tube then look at pump curves Please note the pumps do not suck very well only push
Good luck
Thought I'd revisit this since I actually have done quite a bit of research since and also have the system running now. I did the research and found that everything you said is true however I also learned that it doesn't apply in this application. As for head and pump performance it's different than pumping water from point A to point B because in my case what goes up must come down so it essentially counter balances itself. Also did the BTU per GPM figures and came up with 14 (which also requires 1 1/4" pipe), again it doesn't apply in this case. I bought the new 2218 Taco pump (basically a smart pump), it has sensors for both supply and return lines and offers many functions along with an LED screen. Observing it prior to the fan running shows that it's running at 3 GPM, once the fan kicks on it will speed up to 8 GPM and that's it. House is warmer than it ever has been and we now have unlimited hot water :thumbsup:.

I do appreciate the input, because of it I further educated myself which in the long run is always a good thing. Thanks
20180402_175057.jpg

Last edited:
Is the better-half happy? That’s all that matters!

Is the better-half happy? That’s all that matters!
You bet she is other than our master bathroom sink doesn't have cold water... it will burn the piss out of you!:eek: I'll install a mixing valve on the hot water and fix the sink, this is just a trial run so I know it all works before next winter.

Auto Transport Service
Back